Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What's the current financial status of your RV?
Paid Cash 236 61.30%
RV is on a Lease agreement 0 0%
Took a loan out from a financial institution 107 27.79%
Had a loan, but it's since been paid off (hurrah!) 42 10.91%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #113

This question seems odd to me. Why anyone's RV finances have a bearing on anyone else's RV financial decisions?
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #114

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought first 2 on loans. Rented them out through
Private motor home .com. Never made a single rv payment. Turned an 8000 dollar profit each year. Sold off those rvs and paid cash for a used 1999 Dutchstar. Wife says no more renting. Had to turn folks away when we used the first 2. First 2 were Bounders.[emoji41]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #115

Retired and paid cash
Old 12-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #116

Paid cash. If it is a recreational camper, I cannot justify taking out a loan. If it is full time camper, then maybe. But we got a good deal on a small travel trailer that we could afford. Still, a big investment for our financial situation, but we paid cash and have enjoyed it immensely and don't have to fret about payments every month.
esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #117

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Could have paid cash but I make more on the money where it is than the loan costs.
[emoji106]
GNRVNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #118

We planned to pay cash but ended up paying half cash and half loan. Placed the money I didn't spend in a high yield ETF which is paying back the loan. Once the loan is paid off I'll have the original money back + interest. Because I'm full time I claim the loan as a 1st mortgage and therefore its the same as not paying tax on the ETF funds.
Mickinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #119

I paid cash, as well. I settled for an older unit, in good condition, planning to update and upgrade it.

"For a toy or leisure item that depreciates, always pay cash"
Old 12-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #120

As my brother's father-in-law once said... "Spend it now, spend it all, and the last check written to the undertaker bounces!" It's an age-old adage that still applies, with a slight modification: If you wants to play [now], you gots to pay [later].
walt_embree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #121

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Curious on how people buy their toys. Haven't seen this discussion specifically.

What's the current financial status of your RV?
Did you pay Cash, have a Lease, A Loan from a Bank? or had a loan but it is now paid off?

Thought a poll would be best for anonymity.
We wanted to see if we could qualify for a loan since we're retired and living on Social Security, so we financed. First payment was for the full amount because we didn't want debt. Yeah, it cost us a bit more, but we learned that we could still get new credit.
BirdsGo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #122

Financed mine...

I’m a Financial Advisor and Certified Financial Planner... financed mine. 3% interest rate. I can (and do) make way more on my investments. I am able to deduct the interest on my taxes (we’ll see for 2018 taxes). I could have paid cash, but didn’t for the above reasons.
Akdare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
cash another reason I have an older coach. I want to and stay debt free now and after retirement.
Our "mantra" also. 93 HR Imperial. Seemed like a great deal at first with low cost to buy but after a new motor and a lot more not such a great deal. Still, we own it. More $$$$ for those weekend trips and 1 or 2 vacations a year. (hopefully)
Harris
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #124

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
That was our scenario also. Half down, financed the balance. Funds are available to pay it off at any time. Making more money than the loan costs. Debt free in other assets.
X2...
paid off house, decided to funnel a portion of that monthly obligation to MH memories!
tbillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #125

Age 68.... paid cash
SkipH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:20 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akdare View Post
I’m a Financial Advisor and Certified Financial Planner... financed mine. 3% interest rate. I can (and do) make way more on my investments. I am able to deduct the interest on my taxes (we’ll see for 2018 taxes). I could have paid cash, but didn’t for the above reasons.
Great analysis for those with the discipline.
I just wonder how many use the same rationale over and over with the same incestments.
If you truly can pay cash and have an adequate retirement savings, and an adequate emergency fund then it can make sense.
I would content that many / most folks that use this rationalization don't have all their ducks lined up sufficient to pay cash w/o affecting their retirement, emergency or other balances.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote