Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Buying a Class A diesel pusher National 2004 Tropi_Cal

Hi Everyone, I am finally buying a diesel pusher National 2004 Tropi_Cal and I am excited to own my first RV! Any thoughts or advise on what to do next I have to drive it home from the dealer and park it in storage for the winter. Want to make sure I have it weatherized and covered too. Anyone owned one of these yet?
What wear and tear should I plan on fixing for this guy first and second and so on ... ?

The Captain
Landsailors
LandSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 09:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I would have the dealer go through the winterization process with you as part of the deal. The tech should do the winterization and you should take notes and do some of the work. Any issues next spring are the dealers responsibility.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Hi Gordan, I think the dealer winterized it already? Why I think this is the sink had the pink stuff coming out when briefly turned on. Are there more extensive steps than replacing water with the anti-freeze like material with these guys?
rich
Old 11-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
You need to weigh the coach. Some of the Tropi-Cals were over weight on the front end right from the factory. They also built some that had a very low CCC. Sorry, I don't remember what years were involved.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Hi dons2346 thank you for your suggestion. What do I do if the front end is over weight?
I think I follow the idea that a load can be over weight in a trailer but the front of an RV ?
What could be done or shifted?
Just need more info.
thank you for your time an any additional advise.
rich
Old 11-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSailors View Post
Hi Gordan, I think the dealer winterized it already? Why I think this is the sink had the pink stuff coming out when briefly turned on. Are there more extensive steps than replacing water with the anti-freeze like material with these guys?
rich
The water system should be good if the dealer has already winterized.

Check the water in the batteries and top up as required. Fully charge batteries and then turn off house and chassis battery switches unless you are able to plug in to power for the winter then leave the switches on.

We lay out anti rodent bait. We also lay bay leaves in all of the corners, etc to help prevent incursion. We had a couple mice before we did this. Have not had any since we started the preventive measures.

If you are covering you may wish to put some desiccants to reduce any moisture and help prevent mold.

Put baking soda in the fridge and leave the fridge and freezer doors slightly open.

Take out any food stuffs that will freeze. Don't forget the liquids in the bathroom including the soap dispensers if so equipped. Probably not an issue if you just picked up the unit and have not stocked. I left/missed a soda in an early unit and found a real mess the next spring. Easy to clean up but in-necessary if I would have looked in the last drawer.

Janet washes all of the bedding etc that will stay in over the storage period. Bed is made up so all we have to do is put in personal clothing, food and toiletries and way we go.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

I own a 98 National Tropi-Cal with a 460 gas engine. I would think, just my opinion, that if any of them are front heavy it would be mine. Not a rear engine diesel pusher.
earlmarsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSailors View Post
Hi dons2346 thank you for your suggestion. What do I do if the front end is over weight?
I think I follow the idea that a load can be over weight in a trailer but the front of an RV ?
What could be done or shifted?
Just need more info.
thank you for your time an any additional advise.
rich
I really don't think you can do anything if the mechanical components are the culprit. You might look into the specs and see what the front end is rated at. Then you need to look at the ratings on the tires. We have friends that had a Tradewinds and the factory put on larger tires because they were under rated for the front end load. I think but not sure, but I believe the weight problems were on the first year they built the pusher Tripci. The CCC was around 300 pounds.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two things you need to do. Join the National RV Owners Forums here on IRV2 and the National RV Forum on Yahoo Groups. No one knows your RV better then someone that owns one like it

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NationalRV/info
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Done and Done thanks for the tip on the Yahoo forums. Didn't know that was out there.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
thoughts on front heavy RVs

That sounds like it would make sense. Would you take it to a weigh station or would a service shop be able to determine it?
Old 11-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlmarsden View Post
I own a 98 National Tropi-Cal with a 460 gas engine. I would think, just my opinion, that if any of them are front heavy it would be mine. Not a rear engine diesel pusher.
You would think, but you would be wrong .
I owned almost the same coach as you (2000 Dolphin 36' tag V-10), and it crossed the scale at right around 7000# on the front axle.
My current tag axle diesel pusher has 13,700# on the front axle .
Old 11-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
You would think, but you would be wrong .
I owned almost the same coach as you (2000 Dolphin 36' tag V-10), and it crossed the scale at right around 7000# on the front axle.
My current tag axle diesel pusher has 13,700# on the front axle .
I stand corrected! Thanks
earlmarsden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national, diesel, class a