Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7NOROTOR View Post
Thanks everyone. Lot of good info to take at heart.....I have the money for major repairs if needed, but trying to stick with an older RV due to price and usage.
First, to get a good idea of what's in your price range, check out the used DPs on PPL Motorhome's site.

There's a 2003 Newmar Dutch Star with a 350HP Cummins on a Spartan chassis that's a possibility.

As someone with a similar older coach, you had better be handy (here's my project list) + plan on spending a fair amount from the getgo on . . .

New Tires -- 6 to 8 @ $650 each

New Fridge -- if the RV has its original Dometic/Norcold fridge (like the Newmar above), then that's one of the first things I'd replace . . . with a residential fridge.

New ACs -- again, if they're original ACs, then they are getting long in the tooth. About $2000 - 2500 each to replace.

New Ball Joints -- on Spartan chassis of this era, the ball joint boots give out and the joints can go bad. This is a Spartan chassis thing. Replacement cost about $3K (SWAG).

New Air Bags / Shocks -- if your air bags become cracked with age, then they'll need replacement. And as long as you're doing that, you'll probably want a Koni shock upgrade.

All the above I had done to my 2001 Newmar which I bought in 2010.

Finally, I'd never buy Fleetwood, Monaco, or especially Holiday Rambler.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A HR with 60-80K miles on a double slide RR8 chassis with an ISC (circa 2002-2004) will run 60 to 65K. And you better have it checked close. I would see if you could take it for a trip before committing all the $$$.

Mine in sig was about $56K with 25K miles.. but it wasnt easy to find..

And they havent gone down in price..

Dont forget to check for separation of floors on exterior slides
Old 11-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #17

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor is a very good unit. Most things can be fixed, but rust is something else. Check for rust!!!
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #18

My wife and I bought a 2002 Monaco Cayman 2 years ago with a 5.9 ISB 275 cummins DP. It had 61000 miles and very clean. It had been stored inside when not in use as it is now. NO issues to date . I did the inspection myself. Engine code was the first thing I checked for, it was a 54 and not the dreaded 53. Trailing arms had not been updated but inspected before each trip. Everything is functioning as designed. The power compared to the class C 460 ford engine OMG! Price 40k. thanks keeney
keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I did find a 2003 Monaco Windsor 40PST with 131,000 miles in excellent condition for 39K. The dealer said it has 2019 tires and batteries, stored inside and previous owner was an RV dealer. So I am sure possibly the maintenance was done properly. I am getting a third party inspector to check it out this week, so hopefully not many issues.
RX7NOROTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7NOROTOR View Post
...... I am getting a third party inspector to check it out this week, so hopefully not many issues.

I hope this works out for you. I'll be very interested and would love to know how much and the findings. IMO it only really works out if you get the first or second coach.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
The Windsor you are looking at is a good prospect.
Some general thoughts.
Newmar has an excellent reputation and as a result used coaches usually bring a premium. You will pay more for a Newmar than a comparable coach of that year range.
Country Coach built some very nice coaches.
Travel Supreme is a hidden gem. They made great coaches and became today's Entegra coach. I like the Travel Supreme Select.
American Coach made some very nice diesel pushers. I think used American Eagles can be a great prospect.
Some of the Tiffen coaches can be nice.
Monaco was the largest RV manufacturer in that era. They owned Holiday Rambler, Beaver, and Safari. As you have seen, a used Windsor can be a great buy. I would also consider the Dynasty, Camelot, and Executive. In the Holiday Rambler line I would focus on the Imperial and Navigator. In the Beaver line i would look at the Patriot.

Try to find a side radiator coach with good "bones". Some folks will tell you to focus on floor plan, but the chassis and engine on these older diesel coaches are the key to survival.
Make your searches nation wide. An airline ticket is cheap compared to the money you will spend.
Allow 6 months to a year to find the right coach. Take a camera, a notebook, and an inspection mirror with you. Make lots of notes and take lots of pictures. You will slowly form an ideal coach in your mind. Start a list of must haves and nice to haves. Investigate some of the options like Aqua hot. It provides unlimited hot water and hydronic heat. Consider some of the 40' coaches with a tag axle, (like the Dynasty). You would be hard pressed to find a nicer driving coach today.
Enjoy the search!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #22

I went through the same thoughts and considerations when searching for my motorhome. Based on everything I read, the early American coach units were the right combination for me based on: engine and drive train reliability, chassis quality and component reliability, current parts availability, coach build quality, customer service/ support from the company, and of course price.

I think there is no clear right or wrong answer to the situation and it's really heavily based on opinion. (FORD vs CHEVY? ) However, I went into the situation with an open mind and put a lot of time into reading about other's experiences and formulated my opinion based on my findings.

In addition to keeping the price within my budget, I also wanted to be able to maintain and repair it myself. An older unit which does not have all of the added emission and electronics that is now common is very helpful in achieving this goal. I am able to handle virtually any repair necessary except for a major drivetrain failure. Since the drivetrain in my unit consists of industry proven components and have been well maintained I hope to avoid such a major failure.

Once I made my purchase, I went through it to get it up to my standards. This included inspecting/ servicing: brakes, wheel bearings, shocks, replacing all coolant hoses, fluids, filters, tires etc. I also started a maintenance journal to record everything including part numbers.

I am a bit unusual because I am able to do all of this myself. To get a shop to do everything I did would have been REALLY expensive, and likely would not have been to the same standards of workmanship. I am a firm believer that it is better to do the work at home instead of on the side of the road, so I examined everything I could and made it as good as it can be. So far, I have had no meaningful issues .

Good luck!
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
I went through the same thoughts and considerations when searching for my motorhome. Based on everything I read, the early American coach units were the right combination for me based on: engine and drive train reliability, chassis quality and component reliability, current parts availability, coach build quality, customer service/ support from the company, and of course price.

I think there is no clear right or wrong answer to the situation and it's really heavily based on opinion. (FORD vs CHEVY? ) However, I went into the situation with an open mind and put a lot of time into reading about other's experiences and formulated my opinion based on my findings.

In addition to keeping the price within my budget, I also wanted to be able to maintain and repair it myself. An older unit which does not have all of the added emission and electronics that is now common is very helpful in achieving this goal. I am able to handle virtually any repair necessary except for a major drivetrain failure. Since the drivetrain in my unit consists of industry proven components and have been well maintained I hope to avoid such a major failure.

Once I made my purchase, I went through it to get it up to my standards. This included inspecting/ servicing: brakes, wheel bearings, shocks, replacing all coolant hoses, fluids, filters, tires etc. I also started a maintenance journal to record everything including part numbers.

I am a bit unusual because I am able to do all of this myself. To get a shop to do everything I did would have been REALLY expensive, and likely would not have been to the same standards of workmanship. I am a firm believer that it is better to do the work at home instead of on the side of the road, so I examined everything I could and made it as good as it can be. So far, I have had no meaningful issues .

Good luck!
Thank you very much. I work on all my cars so I am hoping working on a Diesel is not much different in relation to regular maintenance and upkeep.
RX7NOROTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:42 PM   #24

"I am for sure a good handyman so I am willing to work around a lot of minor issues. I am more concerned of mechanical issues than anything. as long as i can get back home to fix, I will be ok with small items to repair.

Would an quality inspector catch everything or at least all the major and minor issues when they report back to me?"

I used an NRVIA certified Level 2 inspector when I bought my used Motor Home. He did not do any mechanical/chassis inspection. He does not test drive. I have him took samples of all the fluids to be analyzed.

2013 Thor Coach Palazzo 33.2
2018 Chev Colorado Toad
sun47me1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #25

Place to start is fluid analysis. All the fluids. About $50 each. If you aren’t sure what the report is telling you ask around or research the info. Do not rely on a owner or salesman to tell you it’s great
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
All the above I had done to my 2001 Newmar which I bought in 2010.

Finally, I'd never buy Fleetwood, Monaco, or especially Holiday Rambler.
Based on this list, a Newmar should be avoided.

RX7 do not take the last statement seriously but you can find a MH you will be able to find a MH on your budget that you will enjoy.

First advice is pay cash.

Second as been stated if the roof leaks, do not buy. Look for a fiberglass roof.

Third check that things work.

First MH was a vintage HR Endeavor gasser for $9k. When the Onan would not start knocked off a thousand. Fixed it with $10 of carb cleaner.

Upgraded to our current HR Endeavor DP after it was damaged by a tow truck. Under $30k with 140k miles. Engine is just getting broken in. There are things you should expect to fix. I have replaced the lift pump and water pump. It would not surprise me if a starter or alternator would go out either.

One thing I have noticed RV and boats is that people are always spending money on them. They will tell you with a big smile. 'That is really nice Greg' I reply. If my friend had told me before he did I would have advised against it but since he has spent the money I just smile.

This site is a valuable resource. As you have just found out, as a question and you will get lots of answers.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
A Little above what you want to spend but probably one of the better deals out there.

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...68161?ref=list
Phillieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:38 AM   #28

I like and brought a second Winnebago. The ability to Get parts in days far surpassed my expectations. Paired with freighter chassis again easy to Get things no matter where I have been.

I like the journey or tour models.

Tags
buying, class a