Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
You gave a lot of good advice IMO but are you sure the 2005 has comfort drive?
Pretty sure.... i drove the coach a few times for my parents and I recall them saying as much. Lol...if not, I’m wondering why their older DS drove so much better than our newer BS...lol...both gas.
Mle75749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Monaco built some fine coaches in the early 2000's. We love our 2002 Windsor!

Noticed you are kinda new on the forum and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Ditto on the Monaco's. We love our 2002 Windsor as well! Just my 2 cents, stay away from rear radiator coaches, and go for a side radiator.
RRBattani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #73

Once you have a certified RV inspection, take it to a diesel shop and have them give you an assessment. Cummins 5.9 with 6 speed Allison, Tranny and oil change with (2) fuel filters, air filter and desiccant air filter $ 1,200 range. have the owner run every system, slides, awnings, fans, fridge, AC furnace, gen set.............. Look for soft spots on floor and cracking tiles.
red300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
I really don't know anyone who has suffered some of the horror stories outlined in the preceding. I've owned/built camper/motorhome since the mid 1960's. The most reliable and enjoyable were DP of the early 2000 vintage. Loved out Winnebago Luxor, also our Monaco Windsor. As to side vs rear radiator- matter of of opinion. You can pick your problems with perpetual motion machine for side radiator or much more simple rear rad. I like the Luxor in that it had a steel tub under the bed that unbolted to reveal the whole top of engine bay. It was probably the easiest coach designed to be maintained. I also liked the front diesel genset was on rollers to open up out of coach for maintenance. Nice to have rollers in basement storage as well. If you do your own maintenance oil change is under $400 to do oil, air, oil, and fuel filters. I have lived a charmed life, in all these years I had 1 fridge unit fail (of course I had just sold the unit and was about to deliver it when it calved- oh well they got a new fridge as part of the deal) This forum is a great resource for how to and when to- but like all things in life- choose a point half way between the worst opinion and the best opinion and you'll probably closest to truth. Try to count the number of people who have gone on line and said, I have used my unit for x number of years and had no troubles- it is almost always those who have a problem who do so many posts. Eventually building acquaintances on line. I wouldn't ever go back to a gasser motor home, nor would I consider a small block engine- such as a 5.9 vs the tried and true 8.3. The newer you go the more sophisticated the digital controls get and the more potential for problems-especially when getting into the newer emission controlled rigs. Your engine/transmission are the most expensive mechanical items- a trip to Cummins would be in order for the engine to pre-purchase check on it, similarly to an Allison dealer for the trans.
If the PO kept up maintenance the tranny will have the change over to synthetic done. Brakes are easy to crawl under and check lining wear, tire dates-replace them at 7 years no matter what they look like. Buy one of those cheap plug in home plug checks and make sure every plug has proper power and neutral- check with unit plugged into shore power, on gen power, and on inverter power. Some inverters will boost power if shore power is too light to run load. Stop by an auto supply or a reliable repair shop and have all the batteries load tested. Then run every appliance and all of them at once if possible, then cycle heat and cooling. On the coach you can easily try and cycle every light, function. flasher, wiper, horn, interior/exterior lights. If PO offers a limp excuse that some thing only needs a fuse- assume the worst until he proves otherwise. Many problems in these units involve bad grounds which is not a sexy item to maintain. Most digital controls run at a low 5 volts or so and don't/can't burn a connection to clean itself. Good luck and look for the fun in it all- it's the smile were're all after.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #75

Alpine Owners Club
"The newer you go the more sophisticated the digital controls get and the more potential for problems-especially when getting into the newer emission controlled rigs."

Truer words were never spoken.
Or, to put it like an old instructor at the GM technical training center once said....FRED.
(friggin ridiculous electronic devices)
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:30 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mle75749 View Post
Yes.... but i guess I didn’t read it the way you meant it. All of the other stuff you listed could be found in a Newmar so I guess I don’t understand why your first sentence read like such a negative against Newmar. No worries.... people need to drive them and do their own research. We’re all just trying to help.
Nothing negative about Newmar at all. I was set on buying a Newmar with a Mountain Master chassis and air ride. In my opinion you can’t ask for any better.

The Discovery was just too sweet a deal to pass. It has air ride and the 4000 series 6 speed transmission and Cummins power so I wasn’t afraid of the Freightliner chassis.

I’m just saying to not get stuck on one thing and miss out on something great. It never hurts to look.
UA888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:03 AM   #77

I actually think we agree not disagree what your describe is exactly the hassle i did not want.

When i need something i drive to the freightliner dealer put in my vin and usually walk out the door with whatever parts i need. In our new to us motorhome i wanted a seat cushion and skylight went online to winnebago parts and litchman's rv got quotes in about 20 mins ordered and delivered 2 days later.

On my old motorhome i wanted the graphics package when i bought it again online winneparts had the package at my house a week later. Needed a heater core when on the road called winne parts had overnighted to my location the next day.

That is what i am talking about.

I love this site and help many others put forth but factory support hard to beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I disagree. (Of course I disagree as I've owned three Monaco coaches).
All chassis (just like the coach) are manufactured from parts commonly available in the heavy truck industry. Parts that wear are shocks (Bilstein, Monroe, or Koni), brakes (Arvin Meritor), suspension bushings (also readily available), rear differential (Eaton), wheel bearings (Dana Spicer), U-joints (Dana Spicer), and air bag springs (Firestone).
Actually, it would be very nice to be able to call Monaco (which is now owned by Rev Group) and just order the parts, but I've found you can save as much as 50% by "tracking down" the part directly. This forum has been a great help anytime I've needed a part. This will also work for your Freightliner.

The Roadmaster chassis was developed from a Chrysler military vehicle design. The S series chassis has 10 outboard airbags and 10 shocks. It's only fault is it's a bit heavier than the newest chassis.
All the best!
Old 12-03-2019, 05:49 AM   #78

The OP want's to spend 30 - 40K on a DP. His time frame is 2000 to 2005 which might get him a mid quality Tiffin or Monoco.

He did not say what he expects to pay for upkeep but hopefully he has set up a reserve for unexpected maintenance.

He will save money by DIY but things still cost money. For example 3 grand minimum for tires, don't expect new ones on a 15-20 yo coach. Don't expect complete maintenance records either, a coach of that age will likely have gone through 3 or 4 owners.

A complete engine and house pre-purchase inspection will cost $700 or more, some folks with his budget will probably not want to pay that much.

For further reading on what some forum members experience with an older coach check this: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/owni...es-470178.html

A DP has certain advantages over a gasser but cost of maintenance and upkeep is not one of them.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7NOROTOR View Post
Hello everyone,
I am in search for a DP and I am sure this has been answered many times but so hard for me to search these forums in detail. So basically looking to spend 30K to 40K and looking for a 36 to 38 foot DP. I narrowed down to probably Newmar, Tiffin, and Monaco. But the years I am interested in are from 2000 to 2005. I think that would be the best years for my price range. Can you lovely people point out some opinions on the most reliable ones to get? Thanks
What id DP?
Skip kinnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #80

The Replys Are Right On

3 years ago we bought a 98' Holiday Rambler Endever from the grandson of the original owner that was well taken of with full original manuals and lots of service receipts.
Take your time, make sure your wife likes the layout, especially if full timing, because this will be your new home, just on wheels.
There have been many comments about the quality of the older coaches vs the new ones.
Good luck,
Jim & Diane 98' HRE 37'
jimemeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Update 12-3-2019:

Well I carefully looked at the 2003 Monaco Windsor and I purchased the coach for 39K. Everything checked out from the dealer inspection and the third party inspection I had done separately. Only one issue was the fuel gauge was not reading correct fuel level and a sending unit is on order free of charge. A couple light bulbs burnt out but everything and I mean everything else checks out. There was a few upgrades after the original owner purchase. He installed a wineguard Direct TV antenna, upgraded the two A/C units with A/C and heat pump units. flat screen tv sets are newer. On repairs from inspection. A new water pump, exhaust manifold, alternator and other minor items. Coach has 131,000 miles and on my trip home of over 600 miles, it drove flawlessly. Not one problem at all. This was a one owner coach and all maintenance records were in good order. All fluids have been changed every year or when required and tires are like new still even though they are close to the five year mark. I did not have to do much cleaning as it was pretty spotless. Now time to winterize for a few months and getting ready for a road trip in March....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191130_094548_resized.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	268570   Click image for larger version

Name:	5dcec64eb1a65140ec1471ca.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	268571  

RX7NOROTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #82

Alpine Owners Club
That's a beautiful coach that should treat you well. I've never met an unsatisfied Monaco owner. I think you got a square deal. We met a nice couple last week in a 2000 Windsor with 200k+ miles, original owners too. ISC 8.3 Allison 3060 I assume, great combo. We love ours. 330-350hp is all you really need.
Nice find.
Happy Trails!
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:05 PM   #83

I have a2002 im thinking on selling.really nice,54k miles
J.D.Pollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:16 AM   #84

Great Buy...

You did good. Well maintained coach that you bought for a fraction of the cost new. Congratulations.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, class a