Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Assuming "high end" means it also has Aqua Hot.
This is a very costly thing to repair or replace. Make sure
it is a QUALIFIED AQUAHOT TECH check this out.

I agree......nine weeks to way too long. Looks like they want
you to get anxious and willing to buy without questions.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Well, you haven't seen it, have you? You're 9 weeks in and your tech hasn't seen it either. How did you find this tech? Referred by the dealer?
Referred by another forum member with several references.

I'm always prepared to walk away.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Assuming "high end" means it also has Aqua Hot.
This is a very costly thing to repair or replace. Make sure
it is a QUALIFIED AQUAHOT TECH check this out.

I agree......nine weeks to way too long. Looks like they want
you to get anxious and willing to buy without questions.
This isn't my 1st rodeo!!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #18

It seems the consensus is your setting yourself up for a big disappointment. I bought ours in Florida from a private party and I'm on the west coast. We flew back to look at before doing anything else. Don't waste your money on inspections till you lay eyes on it.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Part of the risk is that he's perhaps buying a used coach from a dealer who is going to sell it with an "as-is" contract. As many of us know, lots of systems on a high end class-A and hard to get them all tested without having owned it.

When I was shopping, one question that I asked was what happens when I drive off the lot and find a broken item? Have them put the answer in writing... As they dealer is far-away, cover that contingency first...

For 100-200k, an IN PERSON trip is required.
AS IS!!

But understood, planned for and accepted as such.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Referred by another forum member with several references.

I'm always prepared to walk away.

Well, that's good on both counts. From your description so far it seemed like a question that needed to be asked.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Sounds like you are still working thru this carefully. Having the independent inspection, as long as you are are it is 'independent', is the way to go. Based upon this report, and a good inspection should cost some funds and is a good investment, then decide if you will fly out for a final review, acceptance, and purchase.

IMO, the part that sounds the most fishy to me - is that they say they bought the coach in order to 'protect the price'. Maybe the bought the coach to ensure their profit, more then to protect the price. And now, any expense going into the coach for repair, is coming out of their profits. That does not sound right.

I assume you have put earnest money deposit? Is this written in away that if you back out, you can get his deposit back? Was it by check, or credit card? If credit card, you can always dispute and obtain the help of the credit card company to recover. (Of course, only if needed, and only if warranted.)

My fingers are crossed that the 'independent' inspection reveals a coach as it was represented. If so, I would not get too hung up on the Dealer possibly getting a higher profit - as you agreed to a price. Dealer was probably working both ends. Squeeze the seller down, and bumping you the buyer up.

Keep your eyes open, and sure hope it all works out for you! If not, yep, keep on hunting!

Smitty
I'm working it very carefully.

I'm hoping the dealer is making a decent profit. All businesses require a profit to stay in business. No problem with that. I agreed to an got the price I was/am willing to pay.

Maybe it's simply my personal impatience in this transaction.

ONE CORRECTION I WANT TO MAKE: THIS IS MY MISCALCULATION!!!! It is NOT 9 weeks since this Offer/Acceptance began. It has been 5 weeks. Not sure what my mind was thinking as my fingers were typing.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #22

I like the fly in and show up unannounced to see who is telling the truth.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Where in Florida? Dealer name?
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #24

I would also ask the dealer for the name and contact information of the seller. Now that the dealer has "purchased" the coach, there is no reason for the seller not to tell you about any problems that the coach may have. 5 weeks or 9 weeks, something is fishy. It shouldn't take more than 10 days max to get in a muffler.

I would also have a Chassis AND a Coach inspection. Chassis inspection by a dealership authorized to do warranty work on that particular chassis. If the dealership you are buying from is not authorized, or even if he is, find another, unbiased shop to do the Chassis inspection. Basically get a DOT inspection with emphasis on what the mechanic feels it may need in the next 2 years.

Also, are there maintenance records available on all previous work? Does the dealership have the records, and do they go with the coach? If no to any of those questions, assume that work hasn't been done. GO LOOK AT THE COACH! I can't stress that enough. It is also the general consensus from the forum members responding. It is a pretty unique coach were there are only one of two noted items wrong that need correcting. Good luck with whatever you decide . . . .did I mention that you should go look at the coach?!?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #25

5 Weeks is a bit long but not hard to believe we had a coach last year that the people put a deposit on Fri night. Monday morn we came in to find our lot had been hit by vandals they broke into several units after TV's and stereo equipment. The customer and a couple others were told they could have their deposit back or wait til we could fix the unit. It took nearly 5 months to get all the right parts to repair it plus get it back from a body shop to have the paint redone. A muffler should not take more than a couple weeks to get however some of the pipes to and from the muffler are custom made and can be impossible to get I have had to build some from scratch talk about sticker shock when you tell a guy his muffler will be 125 bucks but the pipe from the turbo down to the muffler will be over 500.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #26

Interesting story .... will look forward to the conclusion ....
For me ... not a fan of dealers .... would not ever make an offer without a whole lot of looking it over .. touchy-feely kinda thing .... and then a independent inspection ... but again ... that's just me,
We have worked with a handful of classic car collectors, assisting them with purchases (with private parties) done full inspections and reported results ... and there have been instances the buyer being disappointed upon delivery ..... There's just nothing like personal inspection ... and either falling in love or ... not

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Just me, perhaps, but I have no patience with vehicles that don't start and businesses that waste my time. I'd be gone, there are too many nice MH's in that price range that people actually want to sell. IMHO
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
[QUOTE=Hit_the_Rhod;2785490]I would also ask the dealer for the name and contact information of the seller/QUOTE]

Dealers will not give out contact info on prior owners without permission due to privacy issues. While it was still a consignment coach, it was a different story, but once the dealer bought it, criteria changed.

There are some excellent dealers in FL and there are some horrific ones. Important to know with which you are dealing. If you share the dealer name, perhaps forum members can give you comfort or concern as appropriate.

Tags
class a