Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #1

Buying a used MH. Need new tires.

Hey everyone. Noobie here. Be nice Anyway we are looking at a used 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A. DOT code on the tires is 22/01 so I am assuming they are original. Looks like a lot of dry rot to me and I don't want to risk it driving on them. I think I will need 6 new ones. Where do I look to get them bought and installed? Do I go to a Truck Tire place to buy them? Also they are 245/70R/19.5. Any recommendations on what you guys like?

ZonComGMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are thinking of joining FMCA now would be a good time. Their Michelin buying program is hard to beat, and soon there will be another brand offered although I cannot remember the name. Good Luck...Bob
Old 01-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2.

A large tire dearer can help. Les Schwab if in the NW.

FMCA is great if you have the time.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

We bought a new set of 8R19.5 for our '94 26' Flair last Winter for the same reason. I bought them at the same shop (not Les Schwab) where I buy tires for all our other vehicles. We had several sets of Michelins on our TC with good success, but one of the shop owners who is a MH owner suggested Samson at a much lower price. He said his dad had them on his MH and they had worked well for him. I think the set of 6 was less than $1200.00 and they worked well on our 7k mile trip last Summer.

When I bought the tires I was not certain how long we would have the MH and did not want to invest any more than necessary to make it safe. On the other hand we may have it for the rest of our travel days If I can't find the exact MH we want, and there don't seem to be many of them available. I am not worried about the Samson tires.

If you travel cross country a lot it may be good to purchase them from a tire dealer that has shops nationwide. We did that with the TC for many years, but had very few problems on the road and finally went back to a small local shop that provides good service. The owners also went to school with our kids. :-))

If you buy tires from anywhere other than a shop, be sure to add on to the cost of the tires, mounting, balancing, and other associated costs. Sometimes what looks like a bargain may not be, shop around, unless you already have a favorite tire shop.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonComGMZ View Post
Hey everyone. Noobie here. Be nice Anyway we are looking at a used 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A. DOT code on the tires is 22/01 so I am assuming they are original. Looks like a lot of dry rot to me and I don't want to risk it driving on them. I think I will need 6 new ones. Where do I look to get them bought and installed? Do I go to a Truck Tire place to buy them? Also they are 245/70R/19.5. Any recommendations on what you guys like?

That's a common size, so if you're like me and only like paying for the tire, rather than a name as well, you might choose from one of these ....
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...245%2F70R-19.5
and have a local shop to install them.
I'm running Hercules at present and have had some experience with them before, but don't readily see them in your size with the right thread and I believe they would be the 902 series. You might ask around with your local and larger tire shops, as well.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #6

Replaced mine at a Wingfoot tire center, Goodyear.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #7

Also check out Costco and or Sams club. I got the absolute best price beating the FMCA Michelin discount, but, the deal breaker was they could not install my 22.5 tires. Maybe they can install your 19.5's?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #8

just put 6 new hankooks same size,on 34' hurricane this past spring $300.00 ea mounted &balanced.Have put aprox. 4000 miles so far including n.h. to fl.so far so good.

good luck
Rick
rick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #9

I am happy with my Sumitomos.

I saw someone mention Double Nickel tires on another forum.
Les schwab is the dealer.

Lots of options.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Work a NEW set in the sale deal if they don't want to do that walk away.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
If you are thinking of joining FMCA now would be a good time. Their Michelin buying program is hard to beat, and soon there will be another brand offered although I cannot remember the name. Good Luck...Bob
Continental is the other one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

A large tire dearer can help. Les Schwab if in the NW.

FMCA is great if you have the time.
Time? Only takes a phone call to get the FMCA tire program setup and then for the dealer to find the tires. Four of my tires (365/70) were in short supply so I had to wait a couple months, the other four (315/80) were available the next day. When they came in the 365's were only three weeks old and the 315's were less than 3 months. This was a Les Schwab BTW.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires