Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #1

I am fairly new to RVing, have borrowed my brother-in-laws prevost bus on multiple trips to try it out and found I just love it.
My biggest question is new or used. I know from reading posts on this site it's a popluar question and the more I shop around at the different makes and models the more confused I get.
I am looking for a 40' diesel pusher with 400hp engine. I know the biggest pitfall with new is depreciation, but as a female I like the idea of a warranty. The electrical and mechanical configurations are daunting if they go wrong. But I can get so much more for my money buying used.
Every make and model have issues, but I can't seem to find one make that has the least amount of issues. Any recommendations on make ands models to start narrowing my search?
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #2

I am fairly new to RVing, have borrowed my brother-in-laws prevost bus on multiple trips to try it out and found I just love it.
My biggest question is new or used. I know from reading posts on this site it's a popluar question and the more I shop around at the different makes and models the more confused I get.
I am looking for a 40' diesel pusher with 400hp engine. I know the biggest pitfall with new is depreciation, but as a female I like the idea of a warranty. The electrical and mechanical configurations are daunting if they go wrong. But I can get so much more for my money buying used.
Every make and model have issues, but I can't seem to find one make that has the least amount of issues. Any recommendations on make ands models to start narrowing my search?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #3

Welcome to the site. I'm sure there are folks here that can offer you help. Scotty.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #4

look at newmar products. write down features you want. dont get confused by all the gadgets you may not need. you can order one with just what you want. 11 years in newmar kountrystar has shown me the quality of newmar. plan on factory pickup and make several short trips around indiana so you can go back to the factory for final adjustments. dealer service is lousy.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:04 AM   #5

After a few years owning and driving MHs, I second the Newmar recommendation as getting the most MH for the money. You can pay less for some other brands but there is a definite drop off in quality and construction. There are some other more upscale used MHs you could consider and I will mention Foretravel. For the same price a Foretravel will have to be even older. Now, here are the problems as I see it with buying used MHs. Suppose you know what you want and then look at dealer lots and online. They will nearly all lack service records which is a non-starter for me. If you look hard and perhaps buy from an individual you may find service info. All service at recommended intervals should have been done. Diesel chassis are wonderful unless some of the expensive components have been neglected. They are often said to run forever and it is true if just a few maintenance items are attended to. The other problem in looking at used MHs is that they are nearly always overpriced. Sellers nearly always ask above NADA average retail, and it is a real joke when individuals want that much. They are offering none of the services that a dealer will provide. For a sanity check, remember that a dealer will give you NADA wholesale on your trade in. Good luck.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:10 AM   #6

You can buy used and purchase a aftermarket warranty from Good Sams that will cover most everything. Even with the price of the warranty you will most likely save a bunch.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Herewego, welcome to iRV2.

As you can see from the responses already, one size does not fit all.

Buying used does avoid the initial depreciation.

However buying new gets you a factory warranty, which is far superior to an aftermarket warranty, and you can order your coach to your specifications.

Much of this lifestyle is personal preference, and it can be hard to decide which is best for you.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:51 AM   #8

Thank you for the replies, yes, this is harder than buying my home!
But all the advice is truly appreciated!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 AM   #9

You can buy alot of shop time for what they depreciate. But just because i'd buy used doesn't mean i'd buy it privately. Your bound to get some level of support from a dealership.
But there quick things to check.
Look under neath. Does it look like it's been driven in saltwater? There are many that never see a salted road. And know how to read the tire date code. If they are old tires are you allowing for that? You can't know everything, but coming here is a good start at saving bunches of grief. This forum has paid for this computer in the money it's saved me.
Farmerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #10

My feeling is: if I'm going to have a big payment, then I want a mfg's warranty for as long as possible. There's nothing worse than getting hit with a $1,000 repair bill on top of your rig payment... P.S. with my '84 Winnebago, my first stop was AAA to add RV coverage. The clerk said they usually don't add it until your renewal, but made an exception for me. I'll bet she would have regretted that- I was towed 4 times in the next six months. (That's a story for another day...)
Old 07-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #11

I still wish I bought used. No doubt in my mind it is the best way to go. 1-2 maybe 3 year old high line coach... the hardest thing about buying used is taking your time & traveling as needed to find the one you want. Plan on 6 months. The thing is all those dealers and shows well it is easier to buy new.

I see a lot of posts where people name Foretravel as one of the better built lines... I obviously agree but at the same time many folks tend to think FT pricing is much higher than it actually is... Our new Nimbus was priced well below a new Essex.

2007 Foretravel Nimbus
joppa is offline   Reply With Quote