RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #15

Two different threads trying to convince people you did it the right way? Maybe that was not your intent but it comes across like that. Regardless, I hope you are very happy with your new coach!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #16

Sorry you felt that way FatChance, because my intent wasn't to justify anything. I wanted to give, especially those thinking about a purchase, a perspective they may not have fully considered.

There are many things going into buying a motorhome. My hope was To broaden the conversation!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To the OP's question I think it would limit my enjoyment. I really really REALLY hate being in debt. If I could afford to pay cash for a new unit that met my personal wants/needs I may do it..I've always owned an RV I could buy outright without a loan. I'm a naturally thrifty person so "bang for the buck" or "value" as I see it is a big deal for me having a loan hanging over my head would be a serious buzzkill. My last two "A's" have been very high end coaches (bought used) and I'm now used to the build quality so a new unit meeting my expectations is out of my "pay cash" price range! (way way out!!).

Everybody makes decisions on what works best for them and meets their needs...as long as a buyer does this I think they've done the best they can do to end up in a happy place.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #18

I can't even remember what lifetime I had my first beer.

I completely disagree, I think. If you have to count pennies to enjoy camping, your doing it wrong.

And let's face it, some motorhomes have a face that only a mother can love.

Count me in the camp that wants $0 for my used mh
Old 01-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #19

I disagree with your initial premise, when going out to buy something I do not set budget, I set a maximum budget, then I buy something that meets my needs within that budget. That means that even if I could afford to spend $200,000 on a motorhome, if I found one I was happy with that only cost $20,000 then that is what I would buy. If the $20,000 motorhome was well down the depreciation age curve so much the better, as I would not feel so bad about it going down in value a few hundred dollars while it sits up over the winter vs depreciating by hundreds of dollars per week. As chance would have it $20,000 is about what I just spent on a 15 year old class A in November, not due to any limitation on finances, but because my wife and I agreed that $20,000 was a reasonable amount to spend to try out RV vacation life style and see if we like it, worst case is we keep it for a couple of years see that we are not using it enough to justify keeping it and sell it at a major loss. After buying it, spending about 10 nights in it and putting about 1,500 miles on the odometer we went to a local RV show last weekend, looked at motorhomes priced from $55,000 - $617,000, we saw some that were interesting, some that were spacious, but in the end we saw none that we liked better than the one we have. A few of the class B's looked like they would be easier to travel in, but they mostly felt far to cramped with the toiled in the shower, and shelves over the foot of the bed. There were some big impressive diesel pusher, be we are not fulltiming, the kid is grown and it is just the 2 of us so we don't need to sleep 8. In the end there were 2 or 3 that would work for us, but in every case we like what we have more than the ones we saw, and it had nothing to do with the price.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:42 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Buy what you like, and can afford. No one needs to justify why or what they bought to anyone, not even themselves.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:50 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Remind me. This subject stems around the topic of discretionary spending on something recreational right? All comes down to spending within one's means.

Likely the same arguments/opinions can be found on a power boating forum.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:33 AM   #22

Mr. D and Mike, well said and points well taken!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
With a new coach you know what the MSRP is and its the same amount for that coach at every dealer. The only thing changing the MSRP price is the cost of the options. But you load up the options the same way and the price is the same. No guesswork!
Now the question is the negotiate price? If the MSRP is $335,000.00 and you negotiated 25% off you bought the coach for $251,250.00, Wow you’re right on budget, what a man - what a man! So $251,250.00 is the starting point of YOUR REAL depreciation! Now just for the fun of it lets say you don’t get 25% off? Lets say you’ve developed negotiation fever and you don’t get 25% off, you get 30% off MSRP? The price of your new coach now becomes $234,500.00 a difference of $16,750.00 and you are a negotiation animal and the top of the motorhome food chain, the king of the jungle, and I could go on but you get the point... You did “More Gooder” with 5% more off MSRP. And YOUR REAL depreciation starts right there at $234,500.00.

In these two examples, which one will pay the greatest depreciation in REAL MONEY? If you said the one who paid $234,500.00 you are absolutely WRONG! It’s the first guy who paid $251,250.00. If you want to get yourself underwater in a hurry, pay too much for your coach! When you sit down with your accountant at years end you may hear someone say oops... Whats worse is that someone is you!

USED COACH
With a used coach you can find out what the MSRP was back when the coach was new but it may have little basis on what the price is going to be for the actual unit you’re looking at. You can look at NADA, PPL and other places on line as a guide. You can also ask questions on the forum to give you direction as well.

Just be cautious in discussing new or used because there are some on the forum (not this one of course) who have no filter on their likes and dislikes and what all of us need is objectivity. Thankfully for me I have no such problem with objectivity, Chevy is better than Ford, always has been and always will be! Wow, fair and balanced and objective to a fault right?

My point, check your sources and know FACT from SUPPOSITION, not necessarily an easy thing is it? But something you hear repeated three times by three different people may be more to consider than that which you heard once!
Let's say that you got only 20% off MSRP. Is that additional depreciation or should it be chalked up to bad negotiating skills? And should the lower price in your example be chalked up to good negotiating skills? So, that we have two issues, negotiating skills and depreciation. Then there is the time of year. We know people can get better deals on when new models are coming out and previous year's models are still on the lot. Then there is the economy. And let's not forget oil prices.

So we have to factor into the discussion and attribute the discount from MSRP among the following:

Negotiating skills
Time of year
Price of oil
The general health of the economy
Interest rates

I think you set this up as a 'straw man argument'.

When people here talk about 'high depreciation' - they are talking generally. You gave a unique, specific example
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #24

Hi Dexters. The only Strawman I know was in the Wizars of Ozz! And that stupid dog Todo! Why the Wicked Witch of the West didn't send it to Never Ever Land I'll never figure!

You've some good points but in actuality my main point was this.

You buy a coach new or used and you drive it off the lot you lose X percent (deprecation) in real $$$ dollars. Lets call it book value. And let's say the deprecated amount is $20,000.00...

Now that $20 grand is based on book value based on a schedule established by the Thunder Gods themselves! So if you overpaid on the deal you made on your coach that amount goes right on top of that $20 grand! The Gods don't care about the deal you made!

That's my point by thunder!

Tags
class a