Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are going full time, The big thing is carrying capacity of the coach. Some have 5000+ lbs, but I have seen some DP's with less than 1500 lbs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratcliff View Post
...This one has really caught our eye and with one owner. 2007 Dutch Star By Newmar 4320 for Sale - D740 - PPL Motor Homes...
As an owner of at 2006 DSDP 4320 I think you could be very happy with this model as a full time coach. We are. However, I'll toss in some thoughts on the floor plan based on our living in ours for nearly 3 years.

PROS:

1. Massive CCC that gives you a lot of room for stuff.
2. Lots of basement and above floor storage room. That really increases if you opt to use the W/D closet for storage.
3. Plenty enough horsepower for most uses unless you plan lots of mountain travel and pull a heavy trailer. Otherwise, no problems.
4. Well balanced L to R if properly loaded.
5. Bedroom closet and dresser storage is very good.
6. Some might not like the sink in the bedroom but my wife loves it that way.
7. From the pictures it looks like a 2 stage exhaust brake. Ours only has 1 stage.
8. From the pictures it looks like you have some kind of hydronic heating.
9. That looks like a nicely done floor makeover. Might even add some CCC.

CONS:
1. Shower is a tad small if you are a big person. I am but it works OK anyway.
2. If you have a W/D in the closet, it can create a pinch area when one person is loading/unloading W/D and the other wants to get through.
3. Living room TV can't be seen with front left slide in. Also, you could get a kink in the neck sitting the coach watching it. (I fixed that removing the couch and putting in a recliner. )
4. Only 2 A/C units. Usually its enough but in extreme situations you will want to have a fan running. Loss of an A/C unit means no real redundancy and for FT use that could be critical on a hot summer trip.

We replaced the Norcold with a Samsung 197 residential refer and very happy with that.

You are welcome to PM me about it and we can exchange phone numbers and chat more completely about it.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
CEO use to preach, rightfully so, you make decisions based on risk vs reward......and home work. Sounds like you have done a lot of homework. If the price is right then risk is low, and reward can be high. Go for it!!
Old 12-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #18

Sky_Boss, thanks this is great information.
2 questions: What is CCC? How do I PM?
Cratcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratcliff View Post
Sky_Boss, thanks this is great information.
2 questions: What is CCC? How do I PM?

CCC - Cargo Carrying Capacity. (EDIT OCCC is also another similar term.)

I just sent you an Email with my contact info.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
CCC - Cargo Carrying Capacity. (NCC is also another similar term
sky_boss got a little info to pass on about CCC/UVW/OCCC ?? LOL
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #21

Just remember, motor homes are the absolute most expensive RV there is. Both cost to purchase and cost of ownership can strain even the strongest of budgets.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
sky_boss got a little info to pass on about CCC/UVW/OCCC ?? LOL
You been seeing my posts about that in other forums? LOL I should have used OCCC instead of NCC but I got cornfused.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #23

From what I have read, you are moving way too fast. Your obsession with following through, could very well eat up your cash reserve if the RV life isn't right for you. Have you spent any time in an rv? You said you drove one, but I don't see where you have lived in one for any length of time. There will always be good used motor homes available to buy, so don't be pressured into thinking you have to act quick. You have done a lot of home work, but until you have spent several lengthy trips in an RV, you won't know for sure if it's right for you. How will you and your wife feel after you have sold your home, bought a motor home (remember, they all have problems to deal with), and find out that it was all a mistake. Maybe it will be just fine, but I would advise against it until both of you have spent some time in the confined space for some time. Most people who go full time, have been rving for awhile, know what it's like and can make and informed choice.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
From what I have read, you are moving way too fast. Your obsession with following through, could very well eat up your cash reserve if the RV life isn't right for you. Have you spent any time in an rv? You said you drove one, but I don't see where you have lived in one for any length of time. There will always be good used motor homes available to buy, so don't be pressured into thinking you have to act quick. You have done a lot of home work, but until you have spent several lengthy trips in an RV, you won't know for sure if it's right for you. How will you and your wife feel after you have sold your home, bought a motor home (remember, they all have problems to deal with), and find out that it was all a mistake. Maybe it will be just fine, but I would advise against it until both of you have spent some time in the confined space for some time. Most people who go full time, have been rving for awhile, know what it's like and can make and informed choice.

I think the decision to full time is different from the decision to buy an RV with only 3 months of research under my belt.
We have discussed what happens if we hate RV life and we have an exit plan. I can't picture a scenario that we won't enjoy traveling and seeing the sights of this country for at least 2 years.

As I mentioned in my original post, we plan to have the RV for about a year before going full time; taking small shake down trips, learning the operation, making upgrades and repairs with our currently comfortable income. When we go full time, our income will drop by 60%-70%. We'll have a maintenance/repair reserve and several months of savings to cover expenses. We will continue to earn income to maintain our modest lifestyle.

No doubt I have a lot to learn, but I'm trying to factor my learning curve into my overall plan. If we hate it, we move on to the next life adventure.

Thanks,
Chris
Cratcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #25

My DW and I was in boating for 26 years and decided to sell our last boat an get a RV. I was reluctant to sell the boat because if it turned out we didn't like camping as much as boating we would be miserable. As it turns out we love camping. We bought RV last June and camped 8 weeks between June and October. We are headed for Florida in about a week for 2 or more months.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post

Possibly loaning them your MH for a trip or two will give them the suggested experience. I know that is not a realistic suggestion as I would not lend ours to anyone. Otherwise their option is to buy one and go for it. Most of the threads seem to say "Buy your last one first".

IMO there are three kinds of full-timers:
1) Those that think they want to and want to be convinced. They will ask all kinds of question, pose all kinds of scenarios about health care, banking, driving, parking. They are tentative and in spite of all of the preparation most will not last long.

2) Those who decide to go and buy a unit and head out on a whim. They may encounter issues that will leave them floundering. Depending upon those circumstances about half will continue to enjoy the life.

3) Those who are determined to go. They will check out all of the variables and plan for them. They are resourceful and will meet any adversity with a positive attitude. They will have a high success rate and will enjoy their adventure.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #27

So Gordon, where do you see me? Lol

I admit, it's an unfair question. This thread is primarily focused on the RV purchase, not covering healthcare, permanent residence, income contingencies, or the fact that all of our financial transactions are already location agnostic. It also doesn't cover my meticulous research and decision making process.

I truly appreciate all the wisdom of this forum.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Possibly loaning them your MH for a trip or two will give them the suggested experience. I know that is not a realistic suggestion as I would not lend ours to anyone. Otherwise their option is to buy one and go for it. Most of the threads seem to say "Buy your last one first".

IMO there are three kinds of full-timers:
1) Those that think they want to and want to be convinced. They will ask all kinds of question, pose all kinds of scenarios about health care, banking, driving, parking. They are tentative and in spite of all of the preparation most will not last long.

2) Those who decide to go and buy a unit and head out on a whim. They may encounter issues that will leave them floundering. Depending upon those circumstances about half will continue to enjoy the life.

3) Those who are determined to go. They will check out all of the variables and plan for them. They are resourceful and will meet any adversity with a positive attitude. They will have a high success rate and will enjoy their adventure.
Another option is to rent a class A for a couple weeks to get a taste of it. When we started, I bought a cheap 32' Southwind and took a trip. That was eight motor homes ago and we loved it. After 22 years of motor home ownership, neither one of us would ever give up our homes to full time it. We certainly could with our current coach, but we prefer to live in our homes and travel with the MH, but never longer than a few weeks. Full Timing it can be fine for some, but not everyone. Just saying......
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote