Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 07:56 AM   #1

Buying in the US

I purchased my 2005 Newmar Dutch Star new from RVWarehouse here in Ontario and drove it until 2008 when I had to sell it. Well, if you remember that year I gave it away rather that sell it for anywhere near its worth.

Fast forward a few years and I am now in the process of getting my Z endorsement and upgrading to a 'D' license again to make me legal here in Ontario.

I have been looking at used so someone else can take the hit of the first year or so of depreciation. There are some in Canada/Ontario but a whole lot more in the US with a dealer in Texas seeming to have a good selection.

I want to stick with either Newmar or Tiffin. I would also prefer Spartan and Cummins if possible. I have imported two Little Guy teardrops but this would be the first diesel pusher so am wondering what is involved. I know the trailers had to go to Canadian Tire to be 'inspected' for $250 that was a joke. What is involved with a motorhome?

My present 2016 truck needs DEF, what year did that come to the motorhome community?

I am also aware the exchange will be there as will the 13% tax we have in Ontario.

Thanks for any input.

Ron
RAPPAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #2

Don't know about the legality of the sale, but the DEF systems came into the motorhome world in 2008.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
From what I am seeing, you will do better buying in Canada dollar-wise. With the $1.30+ exchange rate, almost every rig I have looked at (apples to apples) is cheaper in Canada! A big change from 2009-12!
Check it out and you will be surprised. I bought 2 years ago and saved $10-15K by buying in Canada. And that was on a lowly gas rig!

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #4

13% is pretty high and the inspection fee also. Seems all considered it would be cheaper in the US.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #5

Not sure about exchange today. Bought a new motorhome in 2017 in the US and imported to Canada. Used a broker and actually saved a small amount vs buying the same in Canada. It was however a real hassle doing the paperwork (even with the broker) and in addition to the crappy tire inspection had to present the motor home to the registry (was in AB) so they could “look at it”. Would I import again......not a chance.......saved a small$ but too much work.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I've looked several times over the years at buying in the US. A few years ago it did seem to save several thousand dollars, even taking into account the exchange rate and 13% tax here.

Right now I think you would loose with the banks charging 30% plus. You have to convert the US price to CAD and add the 13% tax to that. So a $100K USD MH would come to $146,900 CAD or more depending on the exchange rate that day (I used 30%). Then there are additional fees/inspections etc.

The only reason to shop in the US now is the vast choice of MHs. Last year I spent several months trying to find a rig like what I have now. Even though the dealer played games on price and was a total jerk all the way through I bought it because there was nothing else on the market with the same features.

In fact the dealer I bought from regularly flips MHs to the US because his profit margin is greater. The had two going over the day I bought mine.

So if I won the lottery I would do it, but for now the $$ don't work out.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying