Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Buying TPMS - What are top two to consider

Backlit and psi adjustable to your tire gauge.
I have the Tire-SafeGuard

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
X2 on Tire SafeGuard. This is the 3rd coach I've had this system on. I prefer the screw on tire pressure sensor vs the flow thru. These are extremely simple to change the battery on when that becomes necessary (approx. every 2 yrs). Easy to read monitor that gives you both an audible and a visual signal in the event of Low Pressure, High Pressure, Slow Leak, or High Temperature.

I have found that the tire pressures indicated on the monitor matches exactly what my tire pressure gauge reads. No need to physically check the tire pressure before each trip. I simply watch the system do a quick check of each individual tire pressure and temperature in less than 25 seconds (thats for 12 tires). I might add that in the event of a detection outside the set parameters, the monitor immediately switches to the suspect tire to display the detected fault and the indicator light changes from green to red.

Great product and great customer service.

Hope this helps, Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use EEZRv. Have had the system for a year and I am in the process of replacing all the sensor batteries. The system works fine, I did have to ad the extender to see all the tires on my DP and Toad.

As far as flow through vs non flow through, the non flow through sensors are only slightly bigger than a standard valve stem cap (I don't use the security covers). So taking off the screw on sensors is the same amount of effort as taking off the valve stem caps. I am not sure what the flow through sensors gain you except more mass to move around when driving.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #18

Thanks to all who have responded. Issues were brought up that I had not thought about. As a result, I have two additional questions:

tmw188: What do you mean when you say, ". . . adjustable to your tire gauge"?

Are there major downsides to the Flo-Through type sensors?
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Thanks to all who have responded. Issues were brought up that I had not thought about. As a result, I have two additional questions:

...snip...

The higher mass puts more stress on the valve stems. Probably not an issue on the metal stems on a Class A, but on the rubber stems on a toad or trailer it can be significant.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post

tmw188: What do you mean when you say, ". . . adjustable to your tire gauge"?

Let me interject something into this thread. The use of the tire gauge vs the TPMS reading is different because the tire gauge may not be calibrated to any standard. If it were I would use it as gospel for reading correct tire pressures. The TPMS reading, I expect is calibrated, will be more accurate as it is digital in the processing at the valve stem and display. TST makes the claim "The system is accurate to 0.73+/- PSI" which leads one to believe their system is calibrated and more accurate than a tire gauge off the shelf at an auto parts store. Otherwise the claim would be construed as false advertising. With that said a system that is adjustable to your tire gauge would not be as accurate so I would shy away from that unless your tire gauge was calibrated.

Here's an article by Mark Polk about this subject that is very informative. https://www.fmca.com/polks-top-7/263...-accuracy.html

Secondly, the draw back to the flow through sensor is the added weight and the speed in which air will flow through when you must add air to the tire. It is recommended by TST and other manufacturers to use metal valve stems for this installation. I don't think this is a major issue with the flow through sensors. I had an issue with my dolly where the sensor, flow through, got hit and damaged in a campground. I sent the pair back to TST and they replaced them with the standard cap type sensors no charge. TST felt that the smaller standard sensors would work better on the dolly. So my put is it depends on the application and I am good with flow throughs on the coach and standards on the dolly.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by c92vette View Post
Let me interject something into this thread. The use of the tire gauge vs the TPMS reading is different because the tire gauge may not be calibrated to any standard. If it were I would use it as gospel for reading correct tire pressures. The TPMS reading, I expect is calibrated, will be more accurate as it is digital in the processing at the valve stem and display. TST makes the claim "The system is accurate to 0.73+/- PSI" which leads one to believe their system is calibrated and more accurate than a tire gauge off the shelf at an auto parts store. Otherwise the claim would be construed as false advertising. With that said a system that is adjustable to your tire gauge would not be as accurate so I would shy away from that unless your tire gauge was calibrated.

Here's an article by Mark Polk about this subject that is very informative. https://www.fmca.com/polks-top-7/263...-accuracy.html

Secondly, the draw back to the flow through sensor is the added weight and the speed in which air will flow through when you must add air to the tire. It is recommended by TST and other manufacturers to use metal valve stems for this installation. I don't think this is a major issue with the flow through sensors. I had an issue with my dolly where the sensor, flow through, got hit and damaged in a campground. I sent the pair back to TST and they replaced them with the standard cap type sensors no charge. TST felt that the smaller standard sensors would work better on the dolly. So my put is it depends on the application and I am good with flow throughs on the coach and standards on the dolly.

Thanks - I hadn't thought about the weight issues. I also like the idea of being able to change batteries.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TST thinks the flow through stems should not be used with rubber stems enough that they suggested that my daughter send back her two year old set up (never used) for exchange for the non flow through to eliminate any possibilities of problems. This came about when she tried to purchase two mote sensors for her newer TT before taking a few thousand mile trip this winter. She only had to pay for the shipping.

As I've always thought great customer service as well as a reliable product.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:29 AM   #23

Thanks for this, c92vette. Very informative and addressed my questions. Polk's top 7 tips (at the link) were also good.

Love this forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c92vette View Post

Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:00 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I first had the Doran TPMS and it was a POC.

I use Tire SafeGuard for a variety of reasons below:

Ease of installation
Pre-programmed for wheel configuration
Easily change alert levels
Calibrate the TPMS to your tire pressure gauge
Large Screen
Easy battery replacement
Ease of choosing your wheel configuration when upgrading to a tag axle
Dropping your Toad from the screen or vice-versa

I prefer using the CAP sensors versus the large Flow-Thru sensors or you can choose from a variety of inside or outside wheel sensors.

I liked the Tire SafeGuard so much that I have one on my motorcycle and one for my wife's older Saturn.

When the coach is not used I use the Tire SafeGuard in my car to monitor the Saturn Vue car tires.

All of my vehicle tires are monitored with Tire SafeGuard except for our bicycles.

BTW, the only time I have needed any customer service was to replace a defective sensor so customer service is not important to me with this unit. It just works right out of the box!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:24 AM   #25

The TST systems has worked very well for me. Prior to a trip I check each tire with a good proven gauge and verify the TST is also accurate using the flow through sensors. Then during a week long trip I verify correct pressures prior to departure. I like the small dash unit attached with velcro so I can carry it with me on the initial pressure check. (works on battery if not plugged in)

Number readout is large and readable from the drivers seat. Pressure and temperature reading on each tire is shown although one at a time.

Two weeks after installing TST, while on the interstate, I noticed a leak on the inside dual. GPS located a large tire store in the next town and they found a nail in the tire. Repairs were made and back on the road for 20 bucks. Can't help but think it could have been a disaster without the TST.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:10 AM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had Pressure Pro on the last coach and loved it (I didn't like the sensors batteries are not replaceable) So I let it go with the coach. This coach we bought one from Innotech RV since the batteries were replaceable. It works well but I get false alarms in the morning, usually a tire 1 psi low or high, its very annoying, but it was cheap, the sensors have replaceable batteries and the data is live.
I just read a post on FMCA Tire Tracker has a delay in notifying you in the morning, it doesn't give live data 1st thing in the AM, it shows your readings from the previous day. Now that is a bad design if its true.
I scroll through all of my tires prior to leaving a campsite, if I had a low tire I would want to know before I hit the road.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Check to see if your monitor is programmable? It should be or they couldn't compete with others on the market. If the parameters on a TPMS monitor are not programmable I wouldn't buy it.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #28

Question, say you have to dolly your toad. I know you would put a TPMS on the dolly tires and the read toad tires but is there any reason to put a TPMS on the front tires of the toad?

The only reason I can think of is a leak where the tires get low enough to cause the wheel baskets to get loose but since they aren't on the road I wouldn't expect that to happen.