Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #1

c/b antenna

What is the best antenna to use on a fiberglass coach ? Also where is the best mounting location ?
jess1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #2

My Bus came with a cb whip on top, but I had a loaded fiberglass one mounted above the upper driver side window and had it tuned. It is made for fiberglass a body. A CB isn't of much value anymore and I haven't turned it on in over two years. I will probably just remove it. I only used it when traveling with a friend, and he's gone now, but was only good for a mile or so.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I seldom use the CB except when approaching a nasty backup (an accident or other slow-down that is frustrating). If course, it's the truckers that typically give the "colorful" information about a backup.

I write the above to say that my CB use is mostly short-range, i.e., less than 2 miles (as opposed to, say, 15 miles). So your choice of antenna might take my suggested operating condition into account when you choose an antenna. I'm using the short whip. Not to worried about the "ground plane" that dedicated CB-ers may insist upon for best reception. As to location: The whip could be on the roof's front cap, but routing the coax cable could be a challenge. So mounting it on (or near) the driver's side mirror is typically adequate.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've tried a couple antenna's and of the two the Firestik works the best. I tried the through the glass set up also. The problem with that one was that reception was OK but transmission wasn't good at all. I also found that the length of the coax is important. Initially I had a cable that was about 12 feet long. With that one my SWR was extremely high. I then went the an 18foot length of cable and the SWR was well within an acceptable range which overall should permit a better transmission.

https://smile.amazon.com/Distributin...nna+side+mount

This system isn't cheap but I can assure you that the 12 foot coax cables will make you quite unhappy. Check around as you may find the system for less.

Good luck.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Fire Stick No Ground Plane(the longer of the two) and don't Alter the coax and try to spread it out as much as you can as it is providing your ground plane.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
Fire Stick No Ground Plane(the longer of the two) and don't Alter the coax and try to spread it out as much as you can as it is providing your ground plane.
ditto
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
Another Ditto. I have the 4' Firestik #FG4648-B. Mine is mounted on the side just aft of the drivers window and extending 15" above the roof. Very good performance on my stock (not modded or peaked) radio. In the flatlands I can typically have a understandable conversation 6-8 miles away, Rolling Hills about 2-5 miles. The 4' version lists for about $75 but I have seen it in numerous places for under $50

You won't use the radio as much as you think you will. Not that many RV'ers on, and some of the truckers will curse you. It does come in handy for finding out what is going on in traffic jams and when caravaning with other RV'ers. I mainly use the weather service channels that came with my radio to keep track of weather forecasts and conditions.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #8

I just installed this and seems to be working good.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-01-06 at 7.45.42 PM.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	231192
Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I've tried a couple antenna's and of the two the Firestik works the best. I tried the through the glass set up also. The problem with that one was that reception was OK but transmission wasn't good at all. I also found that the length of the coax is important. Initially I had a cable that was about 12 feet long. With that one my SWR was extremely high. I then went the an 18foot length of cable and the SWR was well within an acceptable range which overall should permit a better transmission.

https://smile.amazon.com/Distributin...nna+side+mount

This system isn't cheap but I can assure you that the 12 foot coax cables will make you quite unhappy. Check around as you may find the system for less.

Good luck.
You may find this website interesting: Exposing the 18' coax myth
I also use a Firestik NGP antenna.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #10

That is the same one I use too, nice sleek modern looking mount through the fiberglass end cap side wall by the front of drivers window.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna