Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #15

It is a pain and confusing at times. My 97 Winny I would pull up close and he would stick the probe in the pipe along with hooking up under the dash. It is my understanding that cars that are 2000 and newer do not have to run on the dyno, they just hook up and take readings. Older than 2000 have to run on dyno. As far as new equipment and older vehicles, I do not know what has changed there but I will ask my mechanic friend for some input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
It is a pain and confusing at times. My 97 Winny I would pull up close and he would stick the probe in the pipe along with hooking up under the dash. It is my understanding that cars that are 2000 and newer do not have to run on the dyno, they just hook up and take readings. Older than 2000 have to run on dyno. As far as new equipment and older vehicles, I do not know what has changed there but I will ask my mechanic friend for some input.
My 2005 GMC Yukon XL 3/4 to 4X4 has never been put on the Dyno. From what I understand is because of the weight rating. They just put in the probe hook up the OBD run the RPM's up to around 2,400 - 2,500. It's due in July so I'll see if anything has changed the last two years.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #17

To follow up, went to a different smog facility today. I asked the mechanic about the problem with the new computers and he told me it is against the law for them to test vehicles over 14,000 lbs using the new testing equipment, but didn't offer any reason other than that. I asked him what would happen when everyone replaces the old equipment with the new, and he told me they are required to keep both or they would lose their license.

He used an exhaust probe for the test and I did have to remove the engine cover for him inside, but didn't see what he did or connected to "under the hood." The whole thing only took 10 minutes so that wasn't too bad.

I'll just have to wait and see what the situation is in 2 years. However I reiterate what I said in my original post, ring ahead and make sure the place you are going to has the old equipment and it is working before you waste time going there.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #18

Gary, and others,
I talked with my son (the BAR agent) and, he relayed to me, a pdf on just how things are laid out on smog requirements etc. He also basically explained the generalities of how things work and why. If I can get the pdf to transfer over, you'll see what's what. Here is his explanation:

As for the rv question.
The best thing to do is to call ahead and make sure that they can test the vehicle needing the smog. Yes the new system does not allow most motorhome because of the 14k lbs., limit to be test. And that has to do with some of the vehicles do not have the OBDII plug. And a lot of the shops now are opting out of the old bar 97 smog machine, the one with the tail pipe tester, and only testing 2000 and newer vehicles. Shops are phasing out the old system because they are realizing that they are not making as much money on those types of test because of the lack of cars on the road that are 99 and older. Honestly the amount of 2000 and newer cars on the road is some 80% of the cars. So if not as many older cars are being driving, then they don't need to be smogged which relates to why shops do not want to pay for the upkeep on the old system.
Now that means that what someone should do is call ahead and make sure that the shop can test what they need tested. For right now we don't require all shops to be able to test all vehicles. With the exception of STAR stations. They have to be able to test all vehicles that require smog.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Smog_Check_Requirements_by_Vehicle_Type.pdf (100.3 KB, 38 views)
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #19

Thank you for that info. My MH is a 2007 but I don't know if it has an OBII plug. According to the pdf you included it looks like it needs to be BAR 97 tested anyway as it is over 14K lbs (as are pretty much all Class A motorhomes). I guess the easiest thing to do is look for a STAR station, or just call around.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary the Wombat View Post
Thank you for that info. My MH is a 2007 but I don't know if it has an OBII plug. According to the pdf you included it looks like it needs to be BAR 97 tested anyway as it is over 14K lbs (as are pretty much all Class A motorhomes). I guess the easiest thing to do is look for a STAR station, or just call around.
Gary it has an OBDII receipticle. Under the dash on the drivers side.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, gas