Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
cable hookup at rv camp ground

we have a 2012 allegro openroad class A rv. we are having problems with the cable tv. can not get a clear picture at rv camp. we get the channels but they are snowing affect. we can get very clear picture with antenna but limited channels. we have auto satellite but have not used it because we thought we could just use cable tv supplied at campgrounds. does anyone know how to trouble shoot this issue.
monalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
My experience is simply most campground cable is awful.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
My experience is simply most campground cable is awful.

fred
We were at SilverCove RV Resort in WA state last week. The cable was so good we never even tried the satellite so not all are bad. The programming itself was not very good but the picture was!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #4

Agree, many campground cable connections are awful. However, check your antenna connections, both ends, make sure they are clean and nothing could be causing a short...bug, hair, ultra fine wire, etc. Then, make sure your switching system in the MH is set on outside cable...you may even need to turn off the antenna booster. Make sure your TV imput is set for cable.
You might ask your neighbor how their cable reception is.
Just some ideas we have found helpful in the past.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
check with your neighbourse regarding their signal. If their signal is good, start trouble shooting at your post. check and see if your crossed threaded. Some of the CG cable points are old or have been exposed to the elements. I sometimes wiggle the cable end as I'm tightening. Next check for the same thing at your rig. Crossed threaded or loose. If you have two TV's...check both of em. If you've done everything and you still have a lousy signal, then it probably lousy CG wiring at your post. Oh and remembering that you were running your exterial arial, make sure you've switched back to cable. Good luck
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cable TV hookup

Monalisa,

Each cable area has different channel line ups. It is necessary to set the channels at each different campground.

With your cable connected and the RV plugged in to shore power, turn on the TV. Press the MENU button and select the "Search channel" list and allow the TV to go through all the channels. That will set them for better viewing.

The cable box does need to be set to CABLE as well.

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have run into this problem as well and at first thought I had bad wiring. It turned out to be the cable at my particular spot. Another item - make sure that your signal amplifier for your antenna is turned off. I've left it on by mistake before and of course it causes a lot of static in the cable image.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My vote is the antenna amplifier needs to be turned off. Since we have the same model it is in the overhead cabinet above the monitor panel on the right side. It looks like a cable outlet except there is a green light lit. Push the small button to turn it off. Also, set the TV to cable and scan the channels.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #9

Have found that many older cable distribution systems suffer from poor signal quality. I carry a 120V powered UHF/VHF video pre-amp that I can plug into an unused outlet on the power post and boost the signal somewhat. Sometimes stuff it in a basement compartment or put it inside a plastic bag for weather protection.

Radio Shack carries them.

Other thing you can do is carry a splitter with you and connect into a neighboring sites cable connection.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Agree with everything said so far. Yes, you don't need to have the over-the-air antenna amp. on when using the outside cable hookup.
We had snowy reception on "Cable" after we first bought the coach. Satillite and over-the-air operation works good. Wasn't getting any better no matter what I tried. Neighbors RV cable operation was OK. Was first thinking I may have to run a new Coax from the switchbox all the way back to the rear cable hookup---not a good project. Finally tried bypassing the switch box completely with a female "Barrel" coax connector. The outside cable coax in the switch compartment was jumpered directly to the TV input coax in the same compartment with the "Barrel" connector=great picture. My "Cable" channel thru switch box was bad. Luckily there was a "AUX" channel in the box that was unused. Switched to the cable coax to the AUX input in the back, relabeled all "AUX" switch positions "Cable", and was good to go. No problems since. Got lucky. I always have a few female coax Barrel connectors for troubleshooting with me now.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reception

On my tv control there is a "Menu" button. I press it and it starts giving me some options. One of the options is "Antenna" or "Cable". I set it up on "Cable" when I use Satellite or Cable. Anything more technical than that and up goes the crank antenna.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
we have a 2012 allegro openroad class A rv. we are having problems with the cable tv. can not get a clear picture at rv camp. we get the channels but they are snowing affect. we can get very clear picture with antenna but limited channels. we have auto satellite but have not used it because we thought we could just use cable tv supplied at campgrounds. does anyone know how to trouble shoot this issue.
Make sure the connections outside the MH are clean and tight. Carry a little emory paper to clean the corrosion off the campground connectors. Make sure your tv is set to cable as the input. I have to turn off the distribution center on my motorhome to get a good picture in a campground. Tried many different combinations and I usually turn off the pushbutton stuff in my distribution center. Cleanliness of each cable end is paramount. When I use my satellite system, (carry out type), never have a problem. Campground cable systems are usually just lousy.. Crank up antenna is great in some areas, just have to remember to set TV to antenna instead of cable and run the channel search.. Hope this helps, seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All of the above
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We were at SilverCove RV Resort in WA state last week. The cable was so good we never even tried the satellite so not all are bad. The programming itself was not very good but the picture was!!
Had the same experience when we stayed their for the month of July. Most of the time the cable is excellent.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote