Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #1

Cable TV

Hi. New to this. I have a Winnebago intent. I’m at a campground that has cable tv. I have it connected to the correct input on the outside of my rv, but it’s not showing on the tv. Any ideas ? Thanks
ibdrillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #2

1 - Turn off the Amplifier to your OTA antenna
2 - Select "Cable" input on your TV settings (If selectable)
3 - Scan for channels

If that doesn't work find out if the cable TV is encrypted and needs a decryption tuner box to get the channels.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check your owners manual. There are specific instructions in mine on hooking up to cable - and it does not use the OTA cable - and then re-scanning. Most motorhomes have specific methodologies so your easiest and best bet is your owners manual. If you lost it or threw it out, you can download a copy from the "winnebagoind" web site at no charge.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #4

I have experienced a cabling error in a new 5th wheel, and a mis-cabling issue in a used bus, probably by a previous owner.
Given that you have done the channel scan correctly and have your booster amplifier set correctly, I suggest running a cable directly from the park post in through a window or door directly to the back of your tv. The results will get you going on where to look more closely, and maybe you'll have tv while you dig into it. OTOH, it's not impossible that the park has problems with their signal....
Old 03-26-2020, 04:38 PM   #5

Many parks have switched to digital cable. That requires a dedicated cable box. Are you sure thats not your case?
Old 03-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Many parks have switched to digital cable. That requires a dedicated cable box. Are you sure thats not your case?
Digital cable does not require a box. All moderns TVs have digital tuners (cheap ones like Seiki may not)

You only need a box if the cable signal is ENCRYPTED.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
I have experienced a cabling error in a new 5th wheel, and a mis-cabling issue in a used bus, probably by a previous owner.
Given that you have done the channel scan correctly and have your booster amplifier set correctly, I suggest running a cable directly from the park post in through a window or door directly to the back of your tv. The results will get you going on where to look more closely, and maybe you'll have tv while you dig into it. OTOH, it's not impossible that the park has problems with their signal....
We have the same problem on our new cougar. The outside coax plug cannot carry the signal to the tv. Only two access points to check the signal and everything else inside the walls. Without tearing the trailer apart to find the problem I just run the cable directly from the post into the tv.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #8

Change your TV input selections, you should find it.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey OP please fill out your Signature with your RV info, it helps us give you better mis-leading information Just kidding, but please fill out your Signature.
Read the Owners manual, Winnebago does a good job about explaining how to do things in their manuals.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
1 - Turn off the Amplifier to your OTA antenna
2 - Select "Cable" input on your TV settings (If selectable)
3 - Scan for channels

If that doesn't work find out if the cable TV is encrypted and needs a decryption tuner box to get the channels.
Additionally, if he has a BOMB=box of many buttons, are the correct ones pushed?
(we grunts gotta stick together)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #11

Newer cable systems use QAM signal. If your TV doesn't have a QAM tuner in it, you need a box.
Amazon sells them.

What Is a*QAM Tuner?*QAM*stands for "quadrature amplitude modulation," the format used by*cable television*providers to encode and transmit digital channels. In*cable*systems, a*QAM tuner*is used similarly to an ATSC*tuner, which is required to get over-the-air (OTA) digital channels when using an antenna.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable