Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2020, 06:13 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cable wiring

Any idea how hard it would be to replace the cabling? I have an input for RV park cable TV in the rear power storage bin and one in a front passenger storage bin. When I hook up from the post using either, scan for channels, and get snow or very low quality video. I do change the box of many buttons to AUX which is what the CABLE wire is on. If I hook it directly to the TV it is fine. Ideas?
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2020, 06:18 PM   #2

If you have a booster switch for your antenna, make sure that isn’t turned on.
Leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:20 PM   #3

Yep, that is off.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:25 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Before I would run a new cable - would do a test by directly running a cable from the post to the TV to verify.

Also check the back of the port in the wet bay or where every you make the connection. The back cable could be loose.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your coax switcher uses Aux for cable feed? Most of them are labeled cable, and ant, and aux, some still have vcr as well. Your's doesn't have cable as one of the sources? Also the cable in the front storage bin is usually for an outside TV not for the feed from the ped.

It is very rare for a wire to go bad. The trouble is usually a connector, and most of the time its on the back of the switcher, it is loose or coming apart.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
Before I would run a new cable - would do a test by directly running a cable from the post to the TV to verify.

Also check the back of the port in the wet bay or where every you make the connection. The back cable could be loose.
Connecting directly is job one. Be sure you are using RG6 cable with good connectors, I have seen many people using cheap RG59 with loose connectors and frayed sheathing that barely make a connection. I know the poster said the amplifier was off, but what they are describing is exactly what you get when it is on and you are trying to scan for channels. A direct connection will bypass all of that and if the picture is now clear they will know the problem is somewhere in the coach.
Here are a few other things we have run into with guests over the years. The cable into the television has been pulled loose or damaged usually by people packing gear over the wires. If the TV is on one of those rising platforms, the cables can get damaged or detached from the movement. The cable in on the coach is mislabeled often switched with the satellite in. Other components have been added that interfere with the cable signal (the old analog TVs that have had a digital converter added in the line are a big culprit). And of course, good old operator error, not choosing the correct input and not choosing "cable" when scanning. In all our years of owning parks, the only issues with the cable we ever had (other than when we lost signal completely due to weather) were a few broken connections caused by the previous guest driving off before disconnecting the cable or a single channel going out due to a failure of a master box. We never, ever had an issue that caused poor picture quality. Cable is pretty much failure proof from the park's point of view, provided they system was properly installed and maintained.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I did connect directly to the TV and it worked fine. Connected from post to BOMB then to TV and it worked ok (boost off). Got a new BOMB and it worked better (boost off). I, however did not check the back side of the connection. Even as a computer tech the obvious was sometimes overlooked and asking usually gave me ideas I missed. Again thanks for the input.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:18 PM   #8

I don’t know what your TV and video setup is. But those switching boxes are a leftover technology when TVs had one input and RV’s had several choices of input such as VCR, over the air antenna, and park supplied cable.

Today, with multiple HDMI inputs on even the most basic TV, the switcher boxes belong in the recycle bin. Think about simplifying the wiring into the TV and eliminating the switching box. It’s just a big signal loss device.

And today’s over the air antenna amplifiers allow you to wire the cable connection to the booster, and run one wire to the 75 ohm input to the TV. Switching from cable to OTR is as simple as pushing the boost switch on and off.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, wiring