Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #1

California DMV out of state registration?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2172.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	288084
We purchased a brand new motorhome in Arizona and drove it to our home in California. I need to get it registered at the CA DMV and am not sure I have all the proper paperwork.

What is an out of state certificate of title and how do I get it? (See checklist)

What is an out of state registration certificate and how do I get it? (See checklist)

So I need one or the other? Note: this is a financed vehicle through my bank.

Any help would be appreciated. Don’t feel like waiting on hold for hours to talk to a dmv person. I want to show up with everything I need to be in and out as soon as possible. Yeah I know. Highly unlikely. [emoji20]

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mromberg1 View Post
Attachment 288084
We purchased a brand new motorhome in Arizona and drove it to our home in California. I need to get it registered at the CA DMV and am not sure I have all the proper paperwork.

What is an out of state certificate of title and how do I get it? (See checklist)

What is an out of state registration certificate and how do I get it? (See checklist)

Any help would be appreciated. Don’t feel like waiting on hold for hours to talk to a dmv person. I want to show up with everything I need to be in and out as soon as possible. Yeah I know. Highly unlikely. [emoji20]

Thanks!
I’m in the exact same position (except not financed but I doubt that has any effect), just got back from Tucson with my 2016 Ventana and I’m just going to go in with everything I got from the dealer (La Mesa) and see what happens. I’m sure it will be at least two trips, including an inspection of the vehicle, no matter what I do, so I’m giving up in advance on the one trip option. It is after all the California DMV
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you're an Auto Club member, you may want to check with them. So much easier than dealing with the clueless people at Ca. DMV.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Call the dealer you bought from. They should be able to help get you the paperwork. If the RV is financed, finance company will have certificate of title, but the dealer should be able to provide a copy for you. I purchased an out of state fifth wheeling late 2019, and went to AAA to register the trailer. AAA said they could do an out of state transfer, as long as it was purchased from a private party. The 5th wheel was an out of state dealer purchase, so I had to go to DMV for a VIN verification. Scheduled an appointment with the DMV, and it still took 8 hours to get the transfer complete. The first DMV office wanted 1,600.00 for the registration, but my RV dealer had sent my paperwork to another DMV office. Had to go to the other office to complete the paperwork, and they wanted to refund me 35 cents.
Definitely go to AAA if you can, otherwise call the out of state dealer and let them know you're trying to register the vehicle in California, and they should be able to help get you set up with the required paperwork.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPCPL View Post
Call the dealer you bought from. They should be able to help get you the paperwork. If the RV is financed, finance company will have certificate of title, but the dealer should be able to provide a copy for you. I purchased an out of state fifth wheeling late 2019, and went to AAA to register the trailer. AAA said they could do an out of state transfer, as long as it was purchased from a private party. The 5th wheel was an out of state dealer purchase, so I had to go to DMV for a VIN verification. Scheduled an appointment with the DMV, and it still took 8 hours to get the transfer complete. The first DMV office wanted 1,600.00 for the registration, but my RV dealer had sent my paperwork to another DMV office. Had to go to the other office to complete the paperwork, and they wanted to refund me 35 cents.
Definitely go to AAA if you can, otherwise call the out of state dealer and let them know you're trying to register the vehicle in California, and they should be able to help get you set up with the required paperwork.
Yes, this^^.

I bought several vehicles, including my current MH, from out of state but they were from private parties and I used AAA. The dealer will know what you need to take to the DMV.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #6

When i registered my pickup i had to get it smogged even though it was new and went in with the paper work the dlr had given me. If you did not pay the dlr sales tax you will owe that.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #7

Boy I pity you guys in California dealing with the DMV. Here in my area when I was buying a motorhome from an out of state owner, I went into our DMV and asked them what I needed. I was greeted by name and the woman who waited on me asked about any recent trips we have taken and I always ask her about her husband and their children who are about my granddaughters age. She handed me a preprinted sheet of paper with detailed requirements. I asked her how to go about transferring money to the previous owner and she gave me "unofficial" information on ways to do it. We chit chatted for a while and I'm usually done and walking back to my car, which I parked right out in the front of the court house doors in all of about 15 minutes. After I bought the motorhome I went back to the DMV and had to stand in line! I was shocked. That took all of about 5 minutes standing there talking to the security guard until I was again called by name. I handed her the paperwork, money for taxes and I walked out with the new plates 15 minutes later.

Yea, I sure don't miss the big city life.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Boy I pity you guys in California dealing with the DMV. Here in my area when I was buying a motorhome from an out of state owner, I went into our DMV and asked them what I needed. I was greeted by name and the woman who waited on me asked about any recent trips we have taken and I always ask her about her husband and their children who are about my granddaughters age. She handed me a preprinted sheet of paper with detailed requirements. I asked her how to go about transferring money to the previous owner and she gave me "unofficial" information on ways to do it. We chit chatted for a while and I'm usually done and walking back to my car, which I parked right out in the front of the court house doors in all of about 15 minutes. After I bought the motorhome I went back to the DMV and had to stand in line! I was shocked. That took all of about 5 minutes standing there talking to the security guard until I was again called by name. I handed her the paperwork, money for taxes and I walked out with the new plates 15 minutes later.

Hi,
YES California SUCKS and I live here...I can't wait until the day I can retire and hit the road full time. I love what California has. But I hate the way it's run..

California's taxes are ridiculous....Someone said a few years ago that California was going to tax themselves right off the map...Somehow that all looks to be coming true too fast for California. Don't get me wrong...If California cleaned up their act and followed what all the other states do for DMV fees and registration I would stay here and enjoy this beautiful state. long time residents of California are leaving here by the RV loads...
Quick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #9

California fees are less than Nevada. We saved $$ when we moved here. Motorhome registration in Nv $4200, Ca $1600. Car and truck were less and sales tax where we are is less than in Nv.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Not all California is big city life. I’m sure it looks that way on TV and in the news, but I live out in farm/ranch country in the low hills north east of Sacramento with a year round creek where zoning is 40 acre minimum to keep things in perspective, but most ranches are much bigger. We grow grapes, raise horses, and grow our own fruits and vegetables. We get very local eggs and beef from he neighbors. I don’t want to deal with producing either of those.

My “big city” is Auburn Ca but it’s about a 30 min drive in to town so I only see it about once or twice a month. Yes there’s some wonky stuff goin on down there in the Statehouse, and the cost of living and bureaucratic nonsense make it a bit of a challenge, but that’s the price you pay to live here. My family was here before the gold rush and I’ve traveled and visited every state and I still haven’t found a place I’d rather live.

The key to dealing with the DMV here is to make an appointment on line first. Then you walk in, go to the front of the line, get service and get out. But that’s Auburn DMV. I’m sure it’s different in the bigger population centers.

My house and barn are top center, neighbors horse operation is top left (I was out checking fences). A little different than what most people from other states think about California living.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30476C74-7148-40B2-A948-B71C252E7E5E.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	288153  
Old 06-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #11

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick68 View Post
Hi,
YES California SUCKS and I live here...I can't wait until the day I can retire and hit the road full time. I love what California has. But I hate the way it's run..

California's taxes are ridiculous....Someone said a few years ago that California was going to tax themselves right off the map...Somehow that all looks to be coming true too fast for California. Don't get me wrong...If California cleaned up their act and followed what all the other states do for DMV fees and registration I would stay here and enjoy this beautiful state. long time residents of California are leaving here by the RV loads...
Talkjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
California fees are less than Nevada. We saved $$ when we moved here. Motorhome registration in Nv $4200, Ca $1600. Car and truck were less and sales tax where we are is less than in Nv.
But Nevada has no state income tax. There’s always trade offs. Oregon has no sales tax but property taxes are higher. Same with New Hampshire where they even tax the view. Hawaii taxed our renral house at 10% of the gross! But it was sure nice in Kona right above town looking out at the ocean.

Obviously you can live cheaper elsewhere and there are fewer crazies in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, etc, and I love New England, but I also spent 20 years at 4000’ in the Sierras and I’m pretty much done with cold winters.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:

That's about how long it took here in northwest Alabama as well. Fifteen minutes and $500 or so annual registration fee later, and we were out the door!
Old 06-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mromberg1 View Post
Attachment 288084

Thanks!

A new vehicle will need an application for title. The certificate of title is needed to change ownership on a used vehicle. That application, the bill of sale, and other paperwork you need should have been supplied to you by the AZ dealer... they cannot register a CA vehicle, but they should know the ropes and what paperwork to give you....

Did the bank take the title or did they give you directions on how to register it and make them lienholders....??? Big difference in the work you'll have to do.. Sometimes in CA, the bank/credit union will handle the title application and basically do the DMV registration process for you, so that they have the title in their hot little hands...

Is the bank a CA bank, or an AZ bank... If an AZ bank, and they filed the title in AZ, you'll need what's called a Goldenrod Title here in CA... It's basically a vehicle with a CA registration, but with a bank lien/title in AZ... I had to do that once, it was kind of a hassle to deal with..

Several years ago, I purchased a new toyhauler trailer through an AZ dealer and with their AZ financing. The vehicle was assigned what's called a goldenrod title... The dealer gave me all the paperwork I needed to get it registered in CA, but the goldenrod title meant I couldn't sell it until it was paid off. I paid it off early so I could transfer the the goldenrod title, to a regular CA title, before I sold it...

This Feb, I bought a used Class A toyhauler (Ford gas chassis) from AZ. It was a private party purchase, with a loan from USAA (they were a pleasure to deal with)... I needed a bill of sale, the AZ title (signed over to me by prior owner and notarized in AZ, it's an AZ rule, not CA's), the last valid registration, proof of insurance, and then I had to get it smogged. I took all the paperwork to AAA and they inspected it. They check the vin/EPA emissions label, and make/model. I paid the use taxes, fees, and on the CA registration application I had to list USAA as lienholder (they gave me an instruction sheet on that)... it was done in about 40 minutes at the AAA office near my house...

Good luck.... the fact that you are asking, sounds like your dealer let you down... I'd call them and make sure they gave you everything you need...

Tags
california