Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2021, 01:40 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a section from the Senate Bill 210 Chapter 298 that could create an exemption for RVs:

(2) Require a motor vehicle to pass the test procedures in order to register or operate in the state. The state board may establish in the regulation full or partial exemptions from the requirements of this section for categories of vehicles it determines on the basis of substantial evidence that the economic costs of compliance substantially outweigh the benefits of compliance, including public health benefits.

I doubt they are after recreational vehicles since we are not required to stop at the truck scales.

They are after the OTR commercial traffic. It will probably be something like if they don't have a CARB sticker on their windshield they will be refused entry.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Here is a section from the Senate Bill 210 Chapter 298 that could create an exemption for RVs:

(2) Require a motor vehicle to pass the test procedures in order to register or operate in the state. The state board may establish in the regulation full or partial exemptions from the requirements of this section for categories of vehicles it determines on the basis of substantial evidence that the economic costs of compliance substantially outweigh the benefits of compliance, including public health benefits.

I doubt they are after recreational vehicles since we are not required to stop at the truck scales.

They are after the OTR commercial traffic. It will probably be something like if they don't have a CARB sticker on their windshield they will be refused entry.
Right! Lets ban all the OTR trucks we can even though ships can't be offloaded and their cargo moved across the country. There is a shortage of OTR trucks you know.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #17

I expect CA will do whatever w/o input from me. Talk about a dog whistle, though. We've got states like AL, MS and FL but folks here don't seem to get riled about their doings. CA has some beautiful scenery, good weather and plenty of folks would be happy to live there if they could afford it. And remember, Californians pay more to our country's funding than they get back, a benefit to the rest of us!
Old 12-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #18

Rexhall Owners Group
The following is copied from https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default.../excluded.html

"The Truck & Bus Regulation also does not apply to the following vehicles, but these vehicle types may need to report in the Excluded Diesel Vehicle Reporting (EDVR) system to avoid DMV registration denial:

A snow removal-vehicle means a vehicle that has permanently affixed snow removal equipment such as a snow blower or auger, and is operated exclusively to remove snow from public roads, private roads, or other paths to allow on-road vehicle access, and is never used for any other purpose.

Vehicles that have been converted to gasoline or dedicated natural gas vehicles.

Vehicle used exclusively for towing a habitable trailer for non-commercial private use.

Motorhomes used for non-commercial private use including vehicles converted to a motorhome. “Motorhome” means a single vehicular unit designed for human habitation for recreational or emergency occupancy and built on, or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis, chassis cab, or van, which becomes an integral part of the complete vehicle or a vehicle that exclusively tows a trailer that was originally designed for human habitation for recreational or emergency occupancy.

Pick-up trucks with a GVWR of 19,500 lbs or less with a pick-up bed used exclusively for personal, non-commercial, or non-governmental use."
Old 12-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandRich View Post
Heading to CA in January, first time in the RV. I made a comment to my wife when we started planning this,” We better go before they ban our 2002 DP from getting in the state LOL”. Well I guess I was spot on. How can they ban something that was legal when new, and what about there residents who own the same RVs, are they banned to, and now just own large lawn ornaments
They already have done this with OTR trucks

If you were a professional trucker running a non-compliant truck when the law went into effect...... you COULD NOT WORK until you had a compliant vehicle.... don't try to think with "Logic and Reason" when thinking about what they will or will not ban..... It will just drive you crazy
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
Old 12-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #20

Perfect. This will dump a bunch of diesels on the used market, I might be ready for 1 in a couple of years. I bought a NPR last year in CA, drove it to AZ. Sold it for 5K more than I paid for.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56safari View Post
The following is copied from https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default.../excluded.html

"The Truck & Bus Regulation also does not apply to the following vehicles, but these vehicle types may need to report in the Excluded Diesel Vehicle Reporting (EDVR) system to avoid DMV registration denial:

A snow removal-vehicle means a vehicle that has permanently affixed snow removal equipment such as a snow blower or auger, and is operated exclusively to remove snow from public roads, private roads, or other paths to allow on-road vehicle access, and is never used for any other purpose.

Vehicles that have been converted to gasoline or dedicated natural gas vehicles.

Vehicle used exclusively for towing a habitable trailer for non-commercial private use.

Motorhomes used for non-commercial private use including vehicles converted to a motorhome. “Motorhome” means a single vehicular unit designed for human habitation for recreational or emergency occupancy and built on, or permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis, chassis cab, or van, which becomes an integral part of the complete vehicle or a vehicle that exclusively tows a trailer that was originally designed for human habitation for recreational or emergency occupancy.

Pick-up trucks with a GVWR of 19,500 lbs or less with a pick-up bed used exclusively for personal, non-commercial, or non-governmental use."
How dare you bring in real data instead of fear mongering!!! Unbelievable. (Yes, that is said totally tongue in cheek.)

Even if the rules apply to out of state motorhomes, if you rig is in compliance with the rigs when it was built, you will be fine. The rules provide for different amounts of pollutants for different vehicles. For modern diesels, they just pull the codes from the engine and look for emission issues. Of course it does out a damper on those people who removed their emissions equipment illegally, but I really don’t care. My rig is in good mechanical shape, I have no interest in having it spew extra stuff into the atmosphere, and I love visiting California!
Old 12-15-2021, 04:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I expect CA will do whatever w/o input from me. Talk about a dog whistle, though. We've got states like AL, MS and FL but folks here don't seem to get riled about their doings. CA has some beautiful scenery, good weather and plenty of folks would be happy to live there if they could afford it. And remember, Californians pay more to our country's funding than they get back, a benefit to the rest of us!
The ones that pay in to California’s funding probably pay more than they get back too. Not sure who benefits on that one.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #23

The market for vehicles in California is so huge that they tend to control what the rest of us get when they impose standards. Most manufacturers ended up building to Cali emissions specs when they tightened up, so they wouldn't have to build two different models for every vehicle. As California RV's go, so too could the rest of the country's RVs. I'd read this as a harbinger of our future.

I see that Cali also voted to ban all small gasoline generators starting in 2024, specifically including RV generators. Wonder how that will affect the rest of us.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 12-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #24

Just as was discussed in a thread posted previously on this topic, does anybody really think that California doesn't want the revenue that visiting RVers spend in their state?

As the quote that 56safari posted from ca.gov, to me, the regulations seem to be clear that "residents" of California who own diesel motorhomes are exempt. Then why would they not allow a visitor from another state to be allowed inside their state? I would guess that the inumber of diesel motorhomes that visit California would be small in comparison to even other RVs.

I also believe their main concern is the commercial traffic that is not only registered in their state but also those trucks traveling through their state ...that is a HUGE number when comparing it with the number of diesel motorhomes that are visiting the state.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DMV Compliance Verification from ca.gov.png
Views:	27
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	351537  
Old 12-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
California does not want us anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLoves2Sk View Post
California is considering legislation to ban diesel motorhomes,...
I long ago stopped trying to ascribe rationality to anything California is considering.
2004 Element
Old 12-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #26

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLoves2Sk View Post
https://camperreport.com/california-...el-motorhomes/

California is considering legislation to ban diesel motorhomes, even from out of state, unless they have a current CARB Emissions sticker...

Never going again, damn nuts!
Old 12-15-2021, 06:50 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFTALL View Post
Thread warning
Some political posts have been removed as they’re not permitted here. Please refrain from such posts.
Thanks
I am not sure anyone can take the politics out of California, even a moderator?
Old 12-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #28

Oh no, the sky is falling. If the emissions are not deleted and kept up why would there be a problem. They are after these guys that buy a glider kit and put an old non CARB compliant engine in it.

Tags
california