Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2017, 02:20 AM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Get that tire off there! That is a blowout/accident waiting to happen!
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
As input for your replacement choice, I recommend the XZA2 Energy. They have J rating.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #31

I work with tires daily and have seen blown tires that dont that bad. Scary to think someone is driving on it.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchasjim View Post
Michelin crap. Way over rated, and over priced. I'll never buy them again.
I have to agree, have had very poor results and extremely bad experiences with Michelin. Hankook, great, don't know about warranty, never gad a problem.
RobbyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #33

As a Ford tech / service guy what wood you tell a customer ? Warranty or not scrap it. Don't let them off easily. Thats a bad ding in such a new tire...after they get it off make them explain how it could not be warranty.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO34PA View Post
2016 tiffin with michelin 255/80/r22.5 picture is RF tire 10k miles date code 3016 . Whats your thoughts? Have been watching for 3k miles has not grown cords not cut . If not warranty I am going to move to one of the dual rears .
At the top of your photo in the center there appears to be another crack and looks like a plug of some sort. really

And your signature states your a retired ford/tech service manager.

This thread seems so unbelievable i'm starting to think its an april fool joke.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #35

Bruce91,
You might be onto something. I hadn't noticed the upper crack with plug thing in it. No one in their right mind would drive 3000 miles with a tire like that - especially on a steer. This has to be a joke!
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
At the top of your photo in the center there appears to be another crack and looks like a plug of some sort. really

And your signature states your a retired ford/tech service manager.

This thread seems so unbelievable i'm starting to think its an april fool joke.
Looks like a piece of thin rubber that is left from a Mold seam............see them on tire's all the time........
Old 04-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO34PA View Post
2016 tiffin with michelin 255/80/r22.5 picture is RF tire 10k miles date code 3016 . Whats your thoughts? Have been watching for 3k miles has not grown cords not cut . If not warranty I am going to move to one of the dual rears .
Let me ask you this, "Living the dream"....
Let's say you don't own a MH, and you saw this tire on the front of your Mustang that you drive everywhere. Would you move it from the front and put it on the rear and just replace the front with a new tire and then go on your merry way?

A 2106 MH with 10K miles on it and has a tire that looks like this, plus you've been watching it for the last 3K...hummmmm...well.....I won't say anymore.

Possible troll here but good teachable moment for all who read this thread.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #38

Well Jimbo, you have been properly disciplined and sent to bed without supper. Hope the rest of your day is better.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
As a polite chastisement to several respondents - that's a good way to intimidate people who don't know better into not ever asking for advice again.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #40

If this is indeed not a joke, then maybe he should have asked for advice BEFORE driving 3000 miles on a tire that my 12 year old son would know has issues. His total disregard for the safe operation of his RV can not, and should not be sugarcoated in an attempt to minimize the seriousness of what he did.

It's one thing when people ask routine type questions about wipers, levelers, how does this or that work, etc., etc., because that's the great thing about this forum is there's always someone who is very knowledgeable about what you're asking, and more than willing to share their expertise. However, while very few of us on here are 'Tire Experts', I'd expect anyone who's competent enough to drive a motor vehicle to be able to recognize the potential dangers associated with driving on a tire with a large crack deep into the sidewall. This person knowingly continued to drive on this tire, with a complete disregard for safety. I have no regret addressing him in a manner that conveys the seriousness of what he did, and if that intimidates someone else into not asking a question - then I say they need thicker skin.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #41

I'll throw a wrinkle into the pot. The strength of a tires sidewall is not in the rubber. It is the cords that hold it together. The rubber merely covers and protects the cords. Granted, it would not be wise to continue to run a tire in that condition because in time, weather would begin to deteriorate the cords and eventually fail. I and a lot of others slice up the sidewalls of the tires on our off-road jeeps to where the cords are showing in the sidewalls in several spots and yet, they last for years in that condition. I've had some spots that have two of the four plys cut through and yet, they hold air and continue to run. Just saying that as long as the cords are intact, a tire will keep rolling down the road.

Ok, I'll sit back and wait for the flames to come.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I'll throw a wrinkle into the pot. The strength of a tires sidewall is not in the rubber. It is the cords that hold it together. The rubber merely covers and protects the cords. Granted, it would not be wise to continue to run a tire in that condition because in time, weather would begin to deteriorate the cords and eventually fail. I and a lot of others slice up the sidewalls of the tires on our off-road jeeps to where the cords are showing in the sidewalls in several spots and yet, they last for years in that condition. I've had some spots that have two of the four plys cut through and yet, they hold air and continue to run. Just saying that as long as the cords are intact, a tire will keep rolling down the road.

Ok, I'll sit back and wait for the flames to come.
No flames... but I suspect your Jeep isn't running down the road at 60mph, and certainly not carrying 24000 lbs (or more) of vehicle.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote