Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Their campground, their rules. Nothing more, nothing less.
I agree, while also scratch my head... Many times, it's not the owners - it's the specific clientele....

And IMO, many parks have this rule so that they can ignore it - if the coach in question is not a rolling derelict.

By chance, I've called a few parks and the asked the age of our coach, and answered 2004 model year - been asked what condition it is in...

Now that is an answer that can have different perspectives, as far as condition.

I usually say that it's in good to great shape for it's years, and will be happy to send a picture.

---

The one time when I was asked about the age of my coach and responded 2004 - and then interrupted and informed it would not be allowed in the park per it's rules. I hung up. Waited to the next day, called back and started asking
genreal questions about the park. When informed it was for 'Class A's only, 10 years of age and younger.', I immediately asked 'Were the owner's all under the age of 55, as I had no desire to be surrounded by people too old?'... Oddly, the person on the phone did not have a good answer for me. Put me on hold, and a few minutes later a manager came on the line... I played with this person a bit. Asking about the lots available for sale (A sort of yank on the fishing line!), and when informed that they had several lot's available from $150-285K range. Responded 'Oh, I was miss informed about this park. I thought only $250K and above lots were available. I'm sorry to have bothered you, but this does not sound like a park I'd be interested in visiting, or purchasing into. Thank you.' - and then hung up...

I had a smile on my face for a few days after that call. And to be fair... I do agree that a Private Park, has a right to set their rules. As I have a right to not be interested in this park, no matter how nice of a park it might be...

I do have the ability to still decide where I visit, where I spend my/our money.

Have fun, and do what floats your boat,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post
I think a list needs to be made of all campgrounds that have the 10 old rule because there's alot of retired people traveling for 20 years . And these campground s that do this are just profiling people that will spend more.
If I had a new motor home I won't stay at these campgrounds. They need to be marked and avoided. 👍 let's start a list 👍😎

Itasca66
There are some good campground review sites out there maybe we maybe we could ask them to include a 10 year rule, kind of like are pet allowed.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #17

Yes that's a great idea..👍😎
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 PM   #18

17 posts and not ONE CG mentioned by name

RVs have wheels for a reason.

CGs have rules for many reasons.

Stay/GO -----choices everyone has.

I have been turned away cause my dog was too heavy (45# max rule)
I have left because place was unkept.

Choices.

Restaurants have no shirt/no shoes/no service rules

Choices.

As for a list........not needed.

Choices.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally I feel if you own the park you can set your own rules, to a certain degree. I have seen the parks that only allow Class A(high end) Motor homes, No Super C High End Motor Homes and also the 10 year or younger rule. Like others have said most of these parks are expensive to stay in $100 - $250 and night but offer beautifully landscaped sites with a lot of amenities. If you have that kind of money and a Million dollar Motor Home then enjoy yourself at these Resorts.
Yes it would be nice if the lower class Resorts would not allow some of the MH's that I have seen come into the parks but then they would not stay in business very long. Remember you the operator of the MH has the choice of staying or Not at the park that you choose, so choose wisely and let them have there 10 year or younger rule.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 AM   #20

I have not ran into one of these establishments yet, but for those of you with your 5 year old $500,000 Class A's, that are patrons of these places, just remember unless you trade your motorhome in on a new model you will not be welcome there in another 5 years.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #21

Hmm 2007 Newmar 40 foots go pretty cheap . That's only about $40,000 loss a year in 10 years they might be better off to trade up every 5 years . Or just find better Campgrounds.

Itasca66
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:36 AM   #22

Wow, I guess my new to me 2004 itasca 34d with failing stickers might lock me out of some places, eh? Oh well...
cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
Wow, I guess my new to me 2004 itasca 34d with failing stickers might lock me out of some places, eh? Oh well...

Come on man, take some pride in yourself and your MH. I had a person at a campground in Florida that thought my 2003 Expedition was new enough to still be under warranty.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:23 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
if i were to pull in, and be told my coach wasn't NEW enough or good enough, i would thank the campground folk, turn my rig around making sure i take out a bit of their flora, and head down the road to the next campground..........the 10 yr rule is to keep out the dumps........and anyone that invests this much cash, and i am not even talking about a half a mill, is probably going to take care of their coach.............and don't be fooled, i have seen plenty of half million $ rigs, with their owners sitting out, watching their outside entertainment centers, partying, and making all kind of noise...........it isn't the price or condition of the rv, it is the people inside....................and even a guy with a million dollar unit can be an ass..................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
if i were to pull in, and be told my coach wasn't NEW enough or good enough, i would thank the campground folk, turn my rig around making sure i take out a bit of their flora, and head down the road to the next campground..........the 10 yr rule is to keep out the dumps........and anyone that invests this much cash, and i am not even talking about a half a mill, is probably going to take care of their coach.............and don't be fooled, i have seen plenty of half million $ rigs, with their owners sitting out, watching their outside entertainment centers, partying, and making all kind of noise...........it isn't the price or condition of the rv, it is the people inside....................and even a guy with a million dollar unit can be an ass..................
Well said...
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post
I think a list needs to be made of all campgrounds that have the 10 old rule because there's alot of retired people traveling for 20 years . And these campground s that do this are just profiling people that will spend more.

Itasca66

Just like any other 'rule' just because it exists doesn't mean it's actually enforced.

Since I travel extensively because of my work I get to see a LOT of different parks. I usually travel in my old 1995 class C.

Once I had someone mention the age, they looked out the window at my rig and chuckled 'Yeah, that's what the rule is, you're in site number....'

I routinely Wallydock in a city that has banned overnight parking and sleep in rest areas where there's no overnight parking. In the case of the Wallyground, the local LEO's will do a 'knock & talk' and say they'll note a broken down traveller awaiting tow and put it on the patrol stops list.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #27

FWIW, the campgrounds with the 10 year rule have set that rule for a very good reason. It's their investment and they can get all the business they need by accepting 10 year and younger RV's. By maintaining a higher standard, they will attract a more affluent clientele. They eliminate the potential of a dumpy looking Rv parked next to a nice looking DP. They may not have always had that rule, but over time they found that they can attract only the newer units, have a nicer looking park, charge more and make more profit with less hassle. It just makes good business sense to do that if it works. They are not there to be your best buddy. It's a business model they have chosen that works for them.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #28

What happens when the million$$ unit gets 10 yrs old?
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground