Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #1

Campground Rig Length Data

When a campground lists lengths for a specific sites, is that just for,in this case a MH, or MH and toad combined?

I'll be pushing 65' overall length.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Personally, I take any unverified source of lot lengths and widths with a grain of salt. I've learned that the hard way. We do use https://www.big-rigs-rv.com/Home.html to help in some situations.

I don't mean to say they all lie either. I've think that how tightly packed and how wide the road leading into a site are just as important.

For the most part we unhook at the office of places we have never been to before unless we get strong assurances we can get to our sight easily. Even then we still often unhook because it makes maneuvering into the site a tad easier.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer23 View Post
When a campground lists lengths for a specific sites, is that just for,in this case a MH, or MH and toad combined?

Thanks
I have found that the length listed is for the overall length. Quite often, they will have sites longer than what they publish. We have traveled from WI to ID, AZ, TX and states in between with a trailer making us 73' long. Except for one time, we always found a park to accommodate us without unhooking. One State Park in UT has 110' paved full hookup spots and several private campgrounds have 80' pullthru's. We have been in parks that give us two 40' back to back spots and charge only for one. I wouldn't be concerned about 65' at all. You just need to plan ahead a bit.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I've think that how tightly packed and how wide the road leading into a site are just as important.
My personal experience has been that if the campground is reporting the site "capacity" as far as camper length, there is room for at least a camper that length plus the tow vehicle or vehicle being towed. I like it a little better when they give actual site dimensions so I can make up my own mind. There's no standard for them to report by, so each campground could be different.

Sky Boss makes an excellent point for those with bigger rigs. Even if the site will fit the unit, it may be very difficult or sometimes impossible to negotiate the road getting there. In my home state of Minnesota, our state parks many times have very narrow roads with extremely tight turns...and they love putting trees right at the corners of the site entrance which is 90 degrees to the access road. With a very narrow access road, this can make it impossible to get into a site that is otherwise large enough for the rig. We stay at the same private campground each Memorial Day weekend for a family camp-out and the site we have every year is plenty big for even a 45 footer with a toad. But man...even with my 40' and a 55 degree wheel cut, it's tight getting to the site.

I like to look at potential campgrounds using Google earth. You can get a good feel for the layout of the campground and what it might be like to maneuver through it.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

Thank you. Seems like planning, planning and calling ahead to "confirm" sizes. Google Earth sounds like a plan too.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thank you. Seems like planning, planning and calling ahead to "confirm" sizes. Google Earth sounds like a plan too.
I am totally into Google Earth. LOL It gives you fighting chance to evaluate the CG layout and gives you a visual frame of reference on how to get there and how you will enter. It can also give you a clue if the GPS is sending you on a wild goose chase.

Another reason I use it is to get a good feel for if it has satellite friendly sites. We can live with 30A service but Sandee needs her satellite reception even if only to record things. Happy wife, happy life.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:

Thanks
I have found most forest service camp sites are about the length they say it is. Some times the sites allow enough room to park the toad along side and some parks the site is only 8 ft wide this is one reason I bought a 32 ft coach as we prefer forest service camping.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:

Yup .... Google Earth for me. I want to see the roads!

Tags
campground