Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #1

Camping on the back 40

With the price of gas on its way up the wife and I where thinking about carving out a site for our MH in the back of our wood property to just get away from the nurses who take care of our disabled daughter.They are great people and we love them dearly but there is just so much time we can spend in the house with them.
We where wondering if this is away of life for any of our friends in this forum and if any one has pics of what inprovments they have put in for there little get away at home.Our property has a very nice spot, very much out of the way setting which I have always though would be a great spot for a second home in the future, possible for us to live in so our daughter could have a more independent life with her care givers. I think this would be one way to get a feel for the future plans without investing first and maybe finding out later it wouldn't work out. Just wondering if anyone out there is doing it.
PICTURE WANTED
Thanx for listenting
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #2

Hey,

Everyone needs a little space... Though not back yard, here is what my folks did years ago. They had a mountain lot. They put in a septic tank, water connections, power, concrete pad. They built a deck the length of the RV and at the end of the deck they built a small room big enough for washer/dryer, small bar area, living area for entertaining, and underneath a storage room.

We called it the RV docking station.

Good luck.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #3

Wildtoad's Family did it up right. We have a Mountain House and another Lot, and folks do the same there: upgrade the Lot to pull in and have an instant 'Home away from Home'.

I bought and set up a '31 Avion to be on site part-time while building our Retirement House in W. CO.. Since we ran Power and Septic anyway, I put in those amenities to a future RV spot and parked the Avion there to enjoy some stunning Sunsets in comfort.

Another way to go - so that the Budget doesn't get overwhelming initially - is to put up just the very basic amenities. Lay down some Gravel if a Concrete Pad is too pricy initially. Fill a small 'dry' Well ~6' deep with Gravel to dump your Grey Water safely. Move the Rig occasionally to dump your Black Water if a Septic System is too pricy at first. Start with some Solar PV Panels for power or run 50 Amp power in PVC up to a few hundred feet away. Or, run the Genny occasionally. Drop a Propane Tank. Water can be run several hundred feet using 1" or larger Black Irrigation flex Pipe and have it self-drain if req'd; an easy exercise. A surprising number of folks fill a reinforced Water Tank on a small Utility Trailer and 'bring the Mountain to Mohammed', as the old saying goes. Haul your water occasionally to your RV; not vice-versa. You get the picture...

We really enjoyed the 'change in scenery' in the Avion vs. the House, and will start Road Trippin' soon in a lil 15' used TT I just picked up that, unlike the Avion, my SUV can tow.

Once you trick out your new location the way you want it, and so it doesn't feel like some austerity program to be there, my experience is that you'll really like it. Plus, you can easily stay within Cellphone or Personal Communicator contact a short distance away from Nursing Staff.

I think the whole 'Small House' movement is pretty kewl, having been to Japan repeatedly. Small spaces can be very comfortable; even when they have wheels.

'31 Avion Campsite

Small House Websites
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote