Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #43

I don't even like camping world for accessories. The last time I was in there, it was about 10% actual RV stuff and the rest was stuff like chairs that I could get cheaper at lots of other places.

I wouldn't have any problem buying an RV from CW if it was in good shape AND the price was right. I never really saw any at the local CW or on the internet that met those two criteria however.
ohhwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Take a week off and go to Florida to shop. Florida has many more dealers and motorhomes than NC area. I have bought two coaches at LazyDays and am pleased with their operation. They claim to be the largest single site dealer in the country... at any rate very large with extensive inventory. All the RVs are left unlocked and you can walk their lot for days looking without being hassled by a salesman(unless you want that). Narrow down your preferences to 2-3 then start shopping the internet to see what's on the market and learn prices. Don't feel forced into buying from a nearby dealer. I would strongly recommend you purchase a coach with a Freightliner chassis. Their factory and service center is in Gaffney, SC and is the best RV service experience I have had. I no longer have a Freightliner, and that is a big regret for me. Take your time, and expand your shopping area.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
Take a week off and go to Florida to shop. Florida has many more dealers and motorhomes than NC area. I have bought two coaches at LazyDays and am pleased with their operation. They claim to be the largest single site dealer in the country... at any rate very large with extensive inventory. All the RVs are left unlocked and you can walk their lot for days looking without being hassled by a salesman(unless you want that). Narrow down your preferences to 2-3 then start shopping the internet to see what's on the market and learn prices. Don't feel forced into buying from a nearby dealer. I would strongly recommend you purchase a coach with a Freightliner chassis. Their factory and service center is in Gaffney, SC and is the best RV service experience I have had. I no longer have a Freightliner, and that is a big regret for me. Take your time, and expand your shopping area.
We stayed at Lazy Days for a couple days and TurtleKent is correct. They never bothered us once as we went through all the RV's they had there.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Gauke, I don't know your price range but Davis Motors in Memphis and Sherman RV in Sherman Mississippi are two great folks to deal with. They will make you a good deal on new or used. Used is the best for your first coach I think. You save some money and the person should have the kinks worked out. I purchased a 06 Tiffin ( great brand) from them at a great price and other than buying tires ( tires were 6 years old) I have had no issues.
CW5DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
I really like our CW (Katy, TX).. location is good, good deal for storage. Sales seemed retarded, took them forever to take my money. And the service department is the worst I have ever experienced. I work in the "service" business, so I called up the ladder expecting a change in the support I was getting... nope.

Not sure how they stay in business? It it the last time I will buy from CW.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #48

Gail, many on here have given you great advice. If you find a used MH you like, check NADA for prices. You will need the manufacturer, model # and make. If it's a gas unit, enter the mileage. Do not add any options. It will list the low retail and high retail for the unit. Offer 80% of low retail to start.
Also, you do have a friend with an RV, me.
Contact me if needed.
Sincerely,
Alex Motsko (NL '65)
Old 11-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
FWIW, I agree with your recommendation to shop at LD.

Are you unhappy with your Powerglide Chassis?

Hope you don't mind me asking, but if so, WHY?
Thanks,
ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #50

No on the Safari

Gail, the Safari Simba probably is on the Roadmaster R4R chassis and it is known to have trailing arm issues. The cost to fix it is about $7k. Ouch!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
FWIW, I agree with your recommendation to shop at LD.

Are you unhappy with your Powerglide Chassis?

Hope you don't mind me asking, but if so, WHY?
Thanks,
ed
I, too have a Freightliner chassis and had no problems with it. I have always been told to buy a Freightliner. I've been to there facility in Gaffney, SC. They had me in and out and my money real fast. LOL. No, they were real good at what they do. Also had a place for me to park overnite. And to make a long story short. I had been down and long the Florida Gulf coast side and just before getting onto Interstate 4 me and a friend speed to fill up at a BP. Started pumping fuel and not thinking about anything particular, my friend and I was just talking. Put the green handle pump in my tank and filled her up. Something didn't feel right but couldn't put my finger on it. Got on I-4 and started driving and noticed going up hills the engine didn't sound right, it lacked horsepower. It kelp doing that. So, I took the next exit and pulled in to eat and to think about it. I called GOODSAMS EMERGENCY CLUB and they called back with a nber to LAZYDAYS CAMPER. Guess what, if I had looked on the other side of the parking lot there they were. So, I called them and they come looked at my coach. But before they got there I looked at my sells receipt. And sure enough i got regular fuel.I called the place and ask about the pump and was told they use black handles for there diesel fuel. Oh no !! LAZYDAYS to my rescue and $3000.00 of my money , i was back on the road. No damage to my coach only because i had enough diesel in the tank for the other fuel to float on top, and it was only going up or down Hills it got in my lines. I'll never make that mistake again. Lazydays is a huge place and was great to work with.
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Retl
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #52

I have had NOTHING BUT a bad experience at CAMPING WORLD as far as SERVICE goes. Just last week, a MO. merchant took 1 1/2 hrs to tell me , my relay was toast , that they didn't have one ....but only after I told them to check the relay, from a 1 minute conversation with a LAZY DAYS TECH in Florida. The service guy also told me , I could not "hotwire it" just to get it home , but the Lazy Days mechanic told me how....took 3 minutes. This is just me , but with the size of LAZY DAYS RV ,( 100's of bays) they have the mechanics that know EVERYTHING. ( Full disclosure here, I did buy the used RV from Lazy days , but was never left alone to handle any problems)
yaahoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauke View Post
Not sure this is an appropriate question but I don't have anyone to ask this question. As first time buyers we are looking for either a new or used motor home. I have done a great deal of research (enough to know there's lots more to learn) and we've visited a number of different dealers. Throughout my research I've sort of picked up on some negativity toward Camping World. Before we would consider purchasing from them I want to know that they are trustworthy and will continue to look after us after the purchase. Our first visit to a store a couple of hours from us was awful and I wouldn't buy anything from that salesman. Other two stores we have visited have been very nice. Thoughts please.
We are in the NC Triad area and have had MH serviced by Camping World in Colfax NC. They did a great job and we would use them again although we didn't buy from them
Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #54

We went with our daughter and her partner to the rv show in Jacksonville, Fl. They found a TT that they liked that Camping World had on show. They told the sales man that they would go home and talk about it. I went on line and researched the make and model they were looking to buy. I found one 1,000 under what they wanted at the show. When we talked to the sales man I had already shown my daughter the price of the other one. I also suggested to her to go 1500 under that and tell them that is what they were willing to pay and that they would not consider a higher price. They ended up getting it for 2450 under what the price was at the show. Pre deliver and info walk through were great. They fixed everything that was found no questions asked. I also use this Caming World for all my repairs and have been more than satisfied with the price and workman ship
Old 03-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #55

Gauke, there are so many Camping World's and they are like anything else. People! The people we see and talk to is the experience we walk away with. I how that made sense. You get good employees and you get bad ones. Some are there for a pay..a check . I've always had good service at Camping World and their rates are just like the guy next door. They have lots of over head. I've not ever bought a RV from them, only service and bou0pght the merchandise. You will have to make that judgment for yourself as to buy and have your coach serviced there .
Dr. Don
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:37 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I'd say "it depends." Not all Camping Worlds are the same. Much like, for example, not all Ford Dealers or Chevy Dealers are the same.

Perhaps you should try to get some feedback for a specific dealership.
Exactly. Some friends of ours just bought a new 2014 Winnebago Impulse Silver from our local Camping World. They shopped at over a dozen dealers and Camping World had the best price by far. They're not interested in the service end of things. We're only a few hundred miles from the Winnebago Factory. Any needed service and warranty work will be done there.

If you have a similar situation and can get service and warranty work done by the manufacturer it really doesn't matter whether the dealer can do it. If you need the service work to be done by the dealer you can check them out at the BBB or the local Chamber of Commerce.

Tags
camping