Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #1

Camping World vs. Good Sam

Recently purchased 2005 Simba and, at same time, an extended warranty. After taking it out on 1st camping trip, we took MH to RV repair facility to have front end alignment done. They discovered crack in manifold exhaust among other things. Checklist from dealer indicates all items, including exhaust system, checked out fine. Now extended warranty administrator says all are pre-existing. No one wants to cover these and we are caught in the middle of two companies that are one. Any advice would be appreciated.
GigiShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #2

Did the selling dealer give you any sort of warranty?

I would be surprised to see any extended warranty company cover a cracked exhaust manifold.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Normally there is a window of time that a extended warranty will not cover anything just like some health insurance policies won't cover certain illnesses during the first 12 months. Since you said "recently purchased" your request for coverage may have been inside of the window.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

We did not find a window of non-coverage in the GS warranty policy.

Also, not being mechanically savvy, it would be helpful to know why a manifold exhaust would not be covered

Thanks so much for your replies. We really feel caught in the middle.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #5

Extended warranty is basicly an insurance policy. I would make them show you where in the policy the items are excluded.
adamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamson View Post
Extended warranty is basicly an insurance policy. I would make them show you where in the policy the items are excluded.
I agree, they insured it, did they have something in the policy that excluded 'pre existing conditions?'

I bought mine new. When I had a big blown engine claim, thy made me show records and receipts since it was new. How does that work if you buy a used MH?. I realize there is no maintenance for an exhaust manifold, but ESP companies try any thing to get out of paying a claim.
If they don't want to pay because they say it is a pre existing condition, they should have inspected it before accepting your money IMO.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just looked at my GS policy and it excludes exhaust systems. Now the definition of is is? I wonder if they are defining the exhaust manifold as part of the "exhaust system" Let us know how this turns out.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought mine used, GS told me I would have to produce only records since the date of purchase.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #9

Navychaps. Thanks for looking. Yes, there are several things that need to be defined. Of course, in any policy there are "weasel words.". We are disappointed in the lack of coordination between two arms of the same company. We are quite aware that we put too much trust in a dealer we had bought from in the past.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Have you wrote Good Sam's consumer advocate? Never used them myself but have read their stories of success with other MH owners.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #11

Thanks. That's good information. Did not know GS has consumer advocate.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GiGiShaw,

The exhaust manifolds are part of the exhaust system. Due to many variables- they probably are not covered by most policies. The manifolds get very hot by nature...they can overheat and crack as well. After you get it fixed and find out that everything else is normal-consider having an after market aux. fan installed....just the ticket for keeping the temp down.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #13

Good suggestion, puttin. Will sure look into the aux fan. Many people have mentioned having to stop to let the manifold cool.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
If you have to replace the exhaust manifold check out a banks system. Headers will run allot cooler and you will like the performance also. Good luck JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping