Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #1

Campsite length

Looking through some rv park websites, with the ad for sites saying up to 40 ft

If youre 42 long do you call and ask? Are they usually pretty well set to their length limits? Do you make the reservation and fly with it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We usually call for a reservation, even if it's the arrival day, and tell them what we are driving.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
My Dutchstar is actually 41' 8" long....I just tell them it's 40'. I have never had a problem.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:27 PM   #4

Our Tiffin is listed as 30 but is actually 31 feet. When making reservations we say the coach is 30 but with our toad on the tow dolly we are 48 feet. We’ve been asked if we can fit into a back-in when there is no pull through available and we have said yes if they have a place where we can park the toad. So far the two times for back-in’s have accommodated both coach and car. So even if the web site says 40' max we have not been turned away.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:45 PM   #5

Only thing we miss about our 42’ is it was easier to shrink it to 40’ than our 44’. As long as it’s not big rocks limiting the length, the back of the MH can overhang the 40’ sites, not that their tape measures are very accurate... no we do not worry about fitting in a 40’ site. We also don’t usually make reservations as just winging it works better for us staying mainly in public CGs.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #6

Backing into a shorter site can have consequences. More than once i've backed into a site with rear wheels against the stop. Got out and looked underneath the rear of the coach and that stop was underneath the transmission pan by only a few inches. Now I stop when the rear cap is over the stop then look for clearance amount, if it is adequate I continue backing till wheels touch the stop.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Campsite length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Backing into a shorter site can have consequences. More than once i've backed into a site with rear wheels against the stop. Got out and looked underneath the rear of the coach and that stop was underneath the transmission pan by only a few inches. Now I stop when the rear cap is over the stop then look for clearance amount, if it is adequate I continue backing till wheels touch the stop.

I do the same when in a shorter site. Those concrete stops are too close when the air dumps. I make sure oil pan and transmission are both clearing.

Do your part.....
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I do the same when in a shorter site. Those concrete stops are too close when the air dumps. I make sure oil pan and transmission are both clearing.
X2 on dumping of air system even on slight sloping site
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
The chassis does not lower, only the coach lowers. I'd much rather get out and look than smash the oil pan or transmission pan while backing over the stop thoug, either is disabling-not to mention the EPA hazardous spill cleanup cost.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 05-11-2021, 08:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The chassis does not lower, only the coach lowers. I'd much rather get out and look than smash the oil pan or transmission pan while backing over the stop thoug, either is disabling-not to mention the EPA hazardous spill cleanup cost.
The coach is bolted to the chassis, just like the engine.
When you dump the suspension, it all comes down.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have seen some CS's with concrete post, trees, etc... at he end of the pad. Just this last trip Joyce and I were taking about one site that had a post at the end. Joyce said we would be disappointed if we thought our rear end could hang over the grass. NOT...
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The coach is bolted to the chassis, just like the engine.
When you dump the suspension, it all comes down.
You''re right of course, don't know why I said that.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandcinok View Post
Looking through some rv park websites, with the ad for sites saying up to 40 ft

If youre 42 long do you call and ask? Are they usually pretty well set to their length limits? Do you make the reservation and fly with it?

You'll be fine. I actually prefer to round UP. I believe we are exactly 43'11" & I just tell them 45". That being said I prefer not to be squeezing into smallish spots.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also try to get an aerial view of the campground online. I've hit a few older campgrounds where they say the site can handle my 40', but don't mention the roads to the site are very narrow. Drive down one row to make a 180 up the next row but trees everywhere. Then add cars parked along the road...
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote