Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #1

Can badly pot holed and unpaved roads damage a class A?

Hi,

Sometimes here in Michigan I end up driving on badly pot holed roads, I do try to avoid them if possible. Also a few places I like to go have unpaved roads which are fairly bumpy.

In my old Damon it always felt like the coach was going to fall apart on these roads, on my newer Winnebago its not as bad. To be fair the Winnebago has 22.5 wheels, 26k chassis and Koni shocks.

So my question is can these type of conditions damage a class A?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sure. Same as a car. Jolts to the frame/body can cause fasteners to loosen, alignment to go out of spec., cabinets and hinges shift/loosen, and electronics doesn't like to get jarred around.

Good shocks, and air bag suspension help - but if you can avoid a pot hole, that's best.

Good luck.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi,

Sometimes here in Michigan I end up driving on badly pot holed roads, I do try to avoid them if possible. Also a few places I like to go have unpaved roads which are fairly bumpy.

In my old Damon it always felt like the coach was going to fall apart on these roads, on my newer Winnebago its not as bad. To be fair the Winnebago has 22.5 wheels, 26k chassis and Koni shocks.

So my question is can these type of conditions damage a class A?
No...not at all!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #4

As with any vehicle, suspensions are designed to absorb a certain amount of shock and stress with no damage. Stay below the design threshold and no problem.

Speed, repetition and the depth and sharpness of the potholes will determine if any damage will occur.

Speed is the only variable you control. Take it easy and enjoy the adventuring.
Mel556180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #5

Thanks all,

If the road is really bad I slow right down.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #6

Bad roads certainly took their toll on my equipment. My first two coach's rode very hard & bad roads are credited with damages. Worst was the microwave fell from the built in mount on a very rough stretch. Current coach handles the terrain much better.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, slow down if road is bad. I consider at least four kinds of bad roads: 1) washboard like, it can shake the entire rig really bad at the wrong speed 2) pot holes, sharpness of edges and depth are the killers, the sharp edge can do plenty harm to a tire 3) just plain bumpy on either gravel or paved roads and 4) type of rock surface on gravel roads, shale can puncture worn/cheaper tires.

While on the Dempster Highway in Canada this summer a fellow towing a TT was going much faster than we were and get five flats in 274 miles in one day on shale. I had suggested he slow down, but then he'd pass us again oh well. He rolled into Eagle Plains, Yk on a flat.

Speed just amplifies the potential damage from any of these problems. But I still did 12,000 miles on our Alaska trip, including 700+ of gravel on the Dempster Highway with no apparent damage and unknown number of frost heaves and other road irregularities. Just remember some damage may not show up until much later. Like imbeded rock fragments or damaged plies in the tires or just lose fastners and hair line fractures in welds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
US 285 northwest out of Pecos, TX has been beat up by oilfield traffic. I barley drove 50 mph on that road and still managed to damage a ride height valve on our Dynasty.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #9

Thanks all,

I have no issues on bad roads in my truck, I am weary of them when driving my MH.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
On my current trip, rough roads/potholes claimed one of my hub caps on my tag axle. You can't avoid them sometimes.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #11

My wife lost a rim and tire on her car from a pot hole a qhile back.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #12

I know someone who had a couple of cabinet doors actually split. I have had damage to my steps and other items. Of course, our state was just identified as having the worst roads in the US. At least we are first in something I guess.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I know someone who had a couple of cabinet doors actually split. I have had damage to my steps and other items. Of course, our state was just identified as having the worst roads in the US. At least we are first in something I guess.
You must be from RI too!
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Unicorn Driver;4360404]Hi,

So my question is can these type of conditions damage a class A?[/QUOTE

Absolutely, a big pot hole hit with the right rear duals broke both windshields!!!!

Tags
class a, led