Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #1

Can I fill my fresh water tank for travel....

We live close to Chicago and will be traveling south mid December. Our all electric Tiffin is currently winterized and sitting in an outdoor storage area. I can't get the owner of the storage area to open up early the day we leave so we can fill our fresh water tank. I'm wondering if it would be safe to just fill the fresh water tank the day before and not run any water through the system. I can fill it up around 3:00 PM and we'll be leaving around 8:00 AM the next day. We have an AquaHot system and I also have a small space heater for the wet bay, but I don't want to run anything overnight. Temperatures are expected to be in the lower 20's at night. There would be no where to fill my tank the day we travel until we get to our destination. Can I cause any damage and is this a silly idea? Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoRick View Post
We live close to Chicago and will be traveling south mid December. Our all electric Tiffin is currently winterized and sitting in an outdoor storage area. I can't get the owner of the storage area to open up early the day we leave so we can fill our fresh water tank. I'm wondering if it would be safe to just fill the fresh water tank the day before and not run any water through the system. I can fill it up around 3:00 PM and we'll be leaving around 8:00 AM the next day. We have an AquaHot system and I also have a small space heater for the wet bay, but I don't want to run anything overnight. Temperatures are expected to be in the lower 20's at night. There would be no where to fill my tank the day we travel until we get to our destination. Can I cause any damage and is this a silly idea? Thanks in advance!
When I head south in winter, I just hookup at a campground and runout the pink stuff, but if you fill your tank and leave the heat on at about 55f in the MH and the bays you are just fine. I do it every fall. I winterize very late. We have cold weather before I winterize, I just leave the aqua hot on for those days. I would not set the thermostat below 50f, 55f is safer.
I’ve don’t it when the outside temps were zero with wind chills, no problem. Just make sure you have enough fuel. I always park in the winter with a full tank of fuel.
BTW, the wet bay should have a heater duct. No need for a space heater. Mine has it, I’m sure you do too. I can even adjust the bay temperature setting separately.
100 gallon tank will not freeze over night, but the rest of the plumbing will. Turn the heat on when you fill the water, it’s easy and safe. Heck, that’s why we have heaters.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #3

I would have no problem filling it but would leave the AH set at 50 degrees (even lower) overnight, that would also help with your 8am departure.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #4

My thought was to not have anything on overnight to save on battery usage. I guess I could have the AGS on just in case.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
For that short amount of time, I don't see why not. It would take a long string of days + nights below freezing to freeze the amount of water you put in that fresh tank.

Personally, I would not want to have anything on, unattended, in an unmonitored storage yard.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #6

Why not fill the water tank then spend the night at a Cracker Barrel Barrel, Walmart, Lowes or wherever you can find a space?

You could check RVParky.com for local locations.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Buy a couple of jugs and/or a case. That will last you till your first stop.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:22 PM   #8

Can you fill it with hot water? In the 20's, that'll buy you a good deal of extra time. (You pretty much have to be filling at home to do this, but I've done it here in MN as I leave for warmer places.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Can you fill it with hot water? In the 20's, that'll buy you a good deal of extra time. (You pretty much have to be filling at home to do this, but I've done it here in MN as I leave for warmer places.)

Not a great idea, it'll freeze faster than using cold water (Mpemba Effect).
Old 12-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
Not a great idea, it'll freeze faster than using cold water (Mpemba Effect).
If it's a sealed container, I.E. fresh water tank, the water can't evaporate.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
If it's a sealed container, I.E. fresh water tank, the water can't evaporate.

True, assuming the water occupies 100% of the tank. Otherwise, there's always evap and vapor pressure.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #12

Theoretical thermodynamics aside, if I put a six-gallon jug of 35-degree water next to a six-gallon jug of 80-degree water out on my porch at -20F, the colder jug freezes long before the warmer one, and if I fill two stock tanks in the same manner at -20F, the cattle at the colder tank are bellowing for water in 30 minutes while the cattle around the 80-degree tank can drink for two hours.

Mpemba may be explained in a completely unconstrained, near-thin-film body of water where heat can be lost without constraint at all boundaries and convection within the water causes faster heat transfer and loss, but in a relatively insulated compartment (i.e., a closed water tank inside of an RV structure), the mass of water is acting as a heat sink with insulated boundaries, and so is the surrounding air within the structural boundaries.

But it's a fun theoretical argument. Who hasn't tried the ice cube tray experiment? (My cold one always froze first, though.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think you should just fill the tank at 3 pm. Not much chance of freezing that much water in 17 hours and you said the rest of the lines are already winterized so you'll be fine.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I think you should just fill the tank at 3 pm. Not much chance of freezing that much water in 17 hours and you said the rest of the lines are already winterized so you'll be fine.
I agree to an extent, daytime highs greatly control this; only frozen solid bursts containers, and if he drained out all the RV anti-freeze then used air pressure to clear the plumbing of remaining RV anti-freeze before filling the water tank, he can de-winterize with as little as 5G of water.

That said, this predicted cold front approaching Chicago carrying snow and ice may keep daytime highs low enough to negate nighttime low 20's in an unheated RV. And if snow is deep enough to prevent leaving at 8 AM, what then???
Bottom line, it's a gamble.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, travel, water