Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #1

Can I live in a MH parked in RV park never leave?

Hello,
I am 77 years old and need to lower my overhead of life. I live in an apartment and pay $900. per month. I have been thinking of buying a used Class A motor home for about $20,000. and then move to an RV park. I would probably never leave as it will become my home. I thought I could just plug into electricity, and not use the generator. Is this a crazy idea? Do people actually do this today because of the coronavirus? There are some nice USED Class A units on the market but worry about driving it around and something going wrong, so, I just need a place to live, and would leave it parked in an RV park. Can you give me some advice on this idea. I need to get my monthly payment down to $500.00
plus RV park charge. I have a nice SUV that I can drive around to get groceries and visit friends. Am I crazy, as I have never owned a Motorhome.
Thanks, LEE
needanMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Depends on the RV park, in mine NO. http://www.lnrvpark.com/view_the_park.html
No reason to buy something with a motor.
A mobile home park may be a better place.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of people do it. RVs have terrible insulation compared to a traditional home, I mean the roof is only 4 inches thich at best, the walls about 2. Not a lot of R-Value there. In the SLC area, summers are ok, you'll need AC, but winters get into the 20s and your electrical heat will eat your budget. You can rent a big LP tank, but up go costs. Go further south and heating costs change to cooling costs, as 100+ degree days are insufferable with only 4 inches between you and the full sun.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #4

Why not look at buying a trailer. You said you don’t want to drive it.....just park it. Make sure to find a place that allows you to be set up permanently first or you’ll be in trouble.

Good luck.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Hmmmmm How about finding an over 55 RV/Mobile Home park??
We are spending a couple of months south of You in our shack on wheels. There are several Mobile Homes/park model homes both large and small for sale.. monthly rent is less than $500, but that is plus the cost of electricity..
Down here central air is required in the summer..Today [Jan 25th] the temp is 85 deg.

And there is less costly upkeep for a Mobile Home/RV park model trailer, than a Class A/B/C motorcoach.. even if you never move it..

Rio Hondo area of TX..

happy hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by needanMH View Post
Hello,

I am 77 years old and need to lower my overhead of life. I live in an apartment and pay $900. per month. I have been thinking of buying a used Class A motor home for about $20,000. and then move to an RV park. I would probably never leave as it will become my home. I thought I could just plug into electricity, and not use the generator. Is this a crazy idea? Do people actually do this today because of the coronavirus? There are some nice USED Class A units on the market but worry about driving it around and something going wrong, so, I just need a place to live, and would leave it parked in an RV park. Can you give me some advice on this idea. I need to get my monthly payment down to $500.00

plus RV park charge. I have a nice SUV that I can drive around to get groceries and visit friends. Am I crazy, as I have never owned a Motorhome.

Thanks, LEE

Trailer makes 100% more sense than class A. Parks are getting expensive and heating or cooling a Rv is very expensive
Old 01-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For your situation, I'd recommend a 5th wheel. They have tall ceilings and feel more spacious inside. You don't need a motorhome to just sit on a site. We went from a 36 foot Class A to a 40 foot 5th, permanently set up on our site for 6 months of snowbirding. I had it towed to the site by a friend with a Ford dually.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:04 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with those that say a mobile home is a better option. RVs have poor insulation as compared to a MH, and MH parks expect people to move in and not leave where many RV parks have limits on how long you can stay.
If you choose to go with an RV then a pull behind would likely be less expensive to start with, simply because you don't have the extra cost of the chassis, and a 5th wheel in my opinion has the best layout for full time living. To pay for a one time pull to the RV park of your choice would probably still be cheaper than paying for the 'truck' portion of a class A that you never intend to drive.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #9

My wife and I have been doing it for 11 years but we move north for the summer and south for the winter. You do need a budget for repairs regardless of the type of RV you choose. Cost of living is always unpredictable but manageable with proper planning.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #10

Just a something to think about. Most of the higher end RVs I've seen have nicer interiors than mobile homes. I certainly haven't seen a whole lot of mobile homes but I could see an upper end 5th wheel having a nicer interior. Just something to think about, not sure what the answer is.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Take a look at "Park Model" homes. They might be a solution for you.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:44 AM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Just an observation when considering a travel/pull behind/ 5'r, or a motorcoach..
There are many steps to climb in or out, also the narrow hallway and steps to get to the upper level/bedroom in a 5'r?
The older we get, the less stairs/steps/narrow hallways we can negotiate..
that is why I suggested a Mobile home or park model residence..
There are several for sale here, that have wheelchair ramps in place.. but I'm sure nearly any over 55 park would accommodate us "aged" clients..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
needanMH --

Welcome to the forum! There are many great forum members willing to provide help at any time!

I echo comments from others (and from watching my elderly parents) that the fewer steps to negotiate each day the better. A "park model" RV is a great suggestion for comfortable living for one person such as this one --> https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...QBQ-5015232165 Best approach economically would be finding a gently used, 3-5 year old model.

With regards to leasing a "spot" in an RV park, it would be difficult to find an "RV spot" for an "all in" price of $500 per month you desire. For example, an OK (far from great) RV park on the far west side of Houston charges $500 per month + electricity --> https://www.hwrvpark.com/reservations

A very nice "high end" RV resort in the Texas Hill Country charges $600 to $700 per month + electricity depending on the "type" of spot desired --> https://www.buckhornlake.com/about.html

If you can share where you are located in this great USA, forum members can provide better information for you.

Again, welcome to the forum!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #14

His avatar says "Sherman, TX".

Tags
rv park