Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #1

Can I safely make this mod for using 50 amp portable EMS??

I have a PI 50 amp portable EMS unit. Is there any problem with making this modification so the unit can remain in the power cord storage bay? I would like to cut the main power cable and install a 50 amp Camco female receptacle on the end of it so that I can plug in the EMS unit in the storage bay. Then, I would install a 50 amp male plug on the cut end of the longer power cord which will be plugged into the EMS unit. Does this create any problem when having to use an extension cord (50 amp) with the main power cord as long as all items are in good shape (no corroded parts, clean contacts, etc.)? Are there any reasons not to do this? Has anyone already done this and able to provide advice or feedback.

Second question: When mounting items in a storage bay, what are some good ways to do it? Any specific suggestions applicable to a Newmar Bay Star storage compartment?

And, thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I have a PI 50 amp portable EMS unit. Is there any problem with making this modification so the unit can remain in the power cord storage bay? I would like to cut the main power cable and install a 50 amp Camco female receptacle on the end of it so that I can plug in the EMS unit in the storage bay. Then, I would install a 50 amp male plug on the cut end of the longer power cord which will be plugged into the EMS unit. Does this create any problem when having to use an extension cord (50 amp) with the main power cord as long as all items are in good shape (no corroded parts, clean contacts, etc.)? Are there any reasons not to do this? Has anyone already done this and able to provide advice or feedback.

Second question: When mounting items in a storage bay, what are some good ways to do it? Any specific suggestions applicable to a Newmar Bay Star storage compartment?

And, thanks in advance to anyone that can help![emoji144]
If you have a 30 amp cord now, you can't just put a 50 amp RV plug on the end. 50 amp service is 220v and 30 amp is 110v.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

My rig has 50 amp service, and modification will use all 50 amp rated parts. I guess I should have clarified that in my post.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-07-2018, 07:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
My rig has 50 amp service, and modification will use all 50 amp rated parts. I guess I should have clarified that in my post.
Thanks for the reply!
I would rig up a dog bone to make the transition to the genny rather than change the cord end.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #5

Can I safely make this mod for using 50 amp portable EMS??

I had a bad experience using Camco plugs doing exactly what you describe. Found the plugs partially melted.
If it’s visible and you can check on regularly it might not be an issue, just not impressed with the quality of connection you get in those type of connectors. Changed mine out so they are wired into a junction box.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #6

What advantage would you have doing it that way instead of just using the hardwired unit? Sounds like only negatives (more work and expense, potentially troublesome connections, takes up more physical space, etc) with no obvious positives.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I had a bad experience using Camco plugs doing exactly what you describe. Found the plugs partially melted.
If it’s visible and you can check on regularly it might not be an issue, just not impressed with the quality of connection you get in those type of connectors. Changed mine out so they are wired into a junction box.
Thanks for the information. Any chance you can give me more details on the junction box you used and how it's wired?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
What advantage would you have doing it that way instead of just using the hardwired unit? Sounds like only negatives (more work and expense, potentially troublesome connections, takes up more physical space, etc) with no obvious positives.
I already have the portable unit and want to use it. By having it in the storage bay, it will be out of site from anyone looking to get one free. Not a space issue, especially if I hang the unit on the side wall of the compartment as the power cord for our Bay Star is located in a rather large compartment with plenty of space for the power cord and other related items. I'm not overly concerned with theft as I've used a 30 amp unit for years and never had a problem although I did use a cable and lock to provide some level of inconvenience for someone looking to take it.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #9

Off hand adding a plug and/or socket should not be an issue electrically. Mechanically I have no idea how well you can mount it. Hope that helps.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:

And, thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
Sounds like you don't want to worry about the Surge protector running away from home. Sounds reasonable to me. You can cut a small section of main power cord and install a female connector to it and hard wire the other end to the transfer switch before the generator if you want to protect power from Gen and Pedestal.

Then the remaining long length of power cord gets a mail connector that will plug into your SP and the SP plugs into the female receptacle you just installed.

Hope this helps,
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #11

I installed my progressive EMS like that. I did not have room to install the hard wired version. I cut the original power cord and installed the EMS in series. It makes bypassing the EMS very easy, just unplug the EMS and plug the cords together. I had one occasion at home where I thought the EMS had gone bad, said I had a open neutral. Turned out it was a loose connection in my power station, the EMS was right.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #12

Word of advice from a guy that's been a Journeyman Electrician since 1980.....Buy the highest quality NEMA 14-50P and 14-50R devices that you can......Leviton comes to mind. They're not cheap, but then again when you are dealing with electrical devices, you don't want them to be.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many people have done such a modification - to create a hybrid portable/hardwired installation. I think its a good idea. I did similar in a previous coach. As you already have the portable unit - go for it.

As for securing it, I think a couple few cable clamps would keep all in place and still be easy to remove and plug around the portable unit if ever needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Word of advice from a guy that's been a Journeyman Electrician since 1980.....Buy the highest quality NEMA 14-50P and 14-50R devices that you can......Leviton comes to mind. They're not cheap, but then again when you are dealing with electrical devices, you don't want them to be.
+1 on the parts.
I did the same thing with the Hughes Autoformer. You can order better quality parts from H.D. than they carry in the store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1703.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	214296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	214297  

Tags
ems