Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
Called a local propane company, guy said they would do it but it would be a waste of propane for no reason. He said if it's loose, tighten it.

I went out prepared to Break it, instead, it tightened right up. No more leak.

Guess I was just being slightly too cautious.

Thanks for all the replies, no more leak!
There you go!

Simple......
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
Called a local propane company, guy said they would do it but it would be a waste of propane for no reason. He said if it's loose, tighten it.

I went out prepared to Break it, instead, it tightened right up. No more leak.

Guess I was just being slightly too cautious.

Thanks for all the replies, no more leak!
I don't think you were being too cautious; more like appropriately cautious, given the risk of accelerating a flammable gas leak that you can't stop once started if something were to break.

Glad you got it fixed.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:07 PM   #59

Ford Super Duty Owner
I myself would bring it to a reputable propane shop for the piece of mind knowing to is repaired by a professional.
In the field, get your wrenches, clear the coach of occupants, give a whirl.
Slow and easy checking with soapy water till leaks stop.
Stop by propane shop when nearby.
Caution propane is not very forgiving.[emoji15]
Tlmr4784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:01 PM   #60

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
He said it's barely bubbling. If you take it to a propane dealer the first thing they will try is to tighten it, that's pretty much the fix for a small leak. Do as was posted, turn it in small increments, a small leak won't take much to stop.

And don't let life terrify you so much you terrify others.
My 2000 Alpine propane tank was leaking exactly like this, and the 1st thing the guy at Ferrell Gas did was tightened with a pipe wrench, no charge. Checked it again, no leak.. filled tank.. Worked perfectly and never had another problem after that...
New Guy Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #61

To be on the safe side if you do decide to try and tighten it yourself. Do not stand right in front of it. It's under pressure and even with a small chance of it breaking off, if it did it would definitely ruin your day.
Ctrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #62

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Call around for a CERTIFIED Propane Technician for proper advice, so that you do not blow rig and yourself up? Consider an EXTEND A STAY AND THEN USE UP/ EMPTY MAIN TANK so proper inspection/ repair can be done? With the EAS, you can run on portable tank until repairs completed, AFTER main tank empty. Generally, brass fittings are NOT NPT tapered, so tightening will not/ may not cure seal issues?
Old 12-30-2021, 03:34 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I'm guessing there is some kind of sealing tape or compound on the threads. Tightening it may allow it to seal, and then again, you may break the valve off. IMO, I'd take it to a reputable propane dealer and have them drain the tank and then try to fix it.
First of all that is not a relief valve....it's an 80% fill valve. If you get it out without blowing yourself up, use thread sealing paste. Teflon tape is not a sealant, only a lubricant.
Savage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #64

FYI, That propane is under 250 psi... all the time.
Dave01a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #65

This is the manual pressure relief valve that the "kid" at the propane refill place (Hardware store, etc) is supposed to open while filling, which allows the liquid filling the tank to expand up to the upper 1/4 of the tank. When LIQUID propane starts streaming out, that's when they are supposed to shut off the pump, or when your tank's gage indicates it's 75-80% full on the valve. (assuming the pump's valve itself didn't shut off first). When done, they should tighten the valve by HAND (with gloves on), not with the pliers at their pump, so they don't crunch the rubber O-Ring. They should also CLOSE the main propane valve while filling, so you don't send too much pump pressure to your pressure regulators.
So two possible reasons why the manual refill pressure relief valve is leaking:
1. If they over-tightened it, then you have a bad O-ring, or
2. maybe they didn't tighten it enough, just tighten it by hand.
Hope this helps.
Dave
Dave Meekhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #66

Post #55 says it's fixed.

He put on a level A total incapsulated Armored suit and approached it with a full fog pattern fire hose backup.

He survived.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #67

Spartan Chassis
Some facts about propane that are relevant to this discussion:

Propane pressure is a function of the temperature of the liquid, at 50F pressure is about 100 psi absolute, or 86 psi gauge. To reach 250 psi absolute requires the liquid to be around 125F.l

One poster was correct when indicating that there is a narrow band of concentration where propane will ignite explosively.

Propane is heavier than air thus the open bottoms of the tank areas on RVs.

In a former life I was a mechanical contractor. We often did was was called a hot tap on gas lines, usually natural gas but the same process works on propane. We would weld a thread-o-let ( steel forging shaped to fit the exterior of the pipe with female pipe threads) to the gas main while it was full of gas, then attach a full port ball valve to it with a nipple. Then a hand operated machine consisting of a tube with a drill bit inside with a means of turning via a crank would be threaded onto the ball valve, the hole drilled into the main, the drill retracted and the valve closed, and presto you have a tap on the gas main with out shutting down the system.

Note that I said "welded", which means the main pipe got red hot both inside and out in the area of the weld puddle, but it could not burn because there was no oxygen to support combustion. Once while welding on the main an employee got a little to carried away with the weld puddle and a small hole appeared in the wall of the main pipe. Of course the gas began to burn when it reached the air, note burn not explode, because the concentration was to high in gas to be explosive. The employee, being experienced, just continues to weld around the hole, pushing the molten metal ever closer until the hole was closed, problem solved! This was a 5 psi line so that was possible, if it had been higher pressure the answer would have been to let it burn while shutting off the main valve and waiting for the gas pressure to drop to zero at which point the flame would go out and all would be well again.

My point of this story is that while propane or natural gas should be respected and handled properly, it is not mysteriously dangerous, and understanding the chemical and physical properties allows safe use.
Stevens10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:57 PM   #68

It's hard to say, but it looks like it is cross threaded to me. If that is the case you will never be able to get it tightened enough
hookjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:41 PM   #69

I have to agree that the tank has to be emptied before you attempt any repairs. If you tighten against a flaw or corrosion you could break the thing off! In any event, the valve has to be removed, the threads cleaned and re-coated with Teflon tape, then re-installed to the proper torque (foot pounds). Propane is a wonderful thing, until it kills you. This is one instance where a professional is called for.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:01 PM   #70

It's to late, the OP blew his house off its foundation. He is fine except he lost his hair.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve