Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #71

Too bad the propane leak burned his RV to the ground along with the other RVs parked next to him.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2021, 09:12 PM   #72

Safest plan is wait until it’s empty, then replace the valve with a new one. Twisting on it with a pressurized tank might turn out badly, not worth the risk in my opinion. An RV dealer, one with a propane tank, might able to empty it for you?
Bogus JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:39 PM   #73

Too funny.............
Old 12-30-2021, 10:03 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
Called a local propane company, guy said they would do it but it would be a waste of propane for no reason. He said if it's loose, tighten it.

I went out prepared to Break it, instead, it tightened right up. No more leak.

Guess I was just being slightly too cautious.

Thanks for all the replies, no more leak!
When dealing with any type of gas fitting where there is no option to turn off the flow elsewhere there is no slightly too cautious. I maintained, air, propane, natural gas, water, refrigerant and steam lines in an industrial setting and you need to proceed with an abundance of caution based on experience and accurate knowledge of what your dealing with.

You needed to be cautious and prepared to deal with a number of failures such as snapping off the valve, having the fitting in the tank crack, distorting the valve so that it no longer sealed, corroded threads falling apart, etc especially since you were not familiar with how much stress you could put on that valve without compromising it.

Glad that you were able to tighten it without causing any collateral damage however that is no guarantee that everyone inexperienced at working on gas fittings will have similar results and be able to throw caution to the wind. Stay cautious and don't take it for granted that nothing can go wrong just because this one went right. My Dad, an MIT trained engineer put it this way, "View them as your best friends, treat them with respect and don't take them for granted since even your best of friends will eventually turn on you if you take them for granted too often". Electricity, natural gas, propane, steam, compressed air, etc are all good friends that we need to treat with respect.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:51 AM   #75

A scarey project. I dont see any rust in the pic. If there isnt, I might try a gentle twist. If there is some rust, or if the gentle twist doesnt work, I'd probably wait until the tank is empty and try again. Reduced pressure in the tank might make it a bit easier, and if ___ happens, you haven't created a fireball. It is possible that you may have to wrap Teflon tape around the threads.
Charlesland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:01 AM   #76

As soon as his hands heal from the burns and the insurance Co pays off, he will get a new RV with no propane leaks .
His kids are still looking for the wrench.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:45 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It's to late, the OP blew his house off its foundation. He is fine except he lost his hair.
And his eyebrows!

Had a friend do that once trying to start a fire with gasoline. Was lucky that he only ended up with a sever sunburn, singed hair, and no eyebrows. He sure looked funny for a while but they eventually grew back.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:59 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillbs View Post
Hey Guys!

Can I tighten a pressure relief valve on my class A? It's leaking at the threads, not the actual valve itself.

Attached image for clarification on what's leaking, and again, it's leaking where it threads into the tank. I sprayed a soapy bubble mixture, and it's bubbling up. Although, it's extremely tiny. You really have to be looking at it to see it bubbling.
You might want to use plumber tape to insure it seals better especially if its leaking around the threads. Your answer is yes you can tighten it, just be careful as you could break it off.
RandyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:07 AM   #79

DON'T DO IT!

You will destroy the threads, break the valve, cause a huge explosion, kill any/all that are around you.

Oh wait.....you snugged it up already and no more leaks!

YEAH! all hazards avoided.

WHEW...it was getting scary there for awhile
Old 12-31-2021, 09:09 AM   #80

Quote:
As soon as his hands heal from the burns and the insurance Co pays off, he will get a new RV with no propane leaks .
His kids are still looking for the wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
DON'T DO IT!

You will destroy the threads, break the valve, cause a huge explosion, kill any/all that are around you.
You two guys are having a lot of fun with this, aren’t you?
Old 12-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
If money is not the issue (as the OP has indicated), then the decision is simple. Take it to an expert to resolve the problem instead of listening to all of the geniuses on this forum.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:34 AM   #82

Quote:
It's to late, the OP blew his house off its foundation. He is fine except he lost his hair.
Many people have beat him to it. Stop being so cavalier about dangerous practices by novices, please.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:36 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
If money is not the issue (as the OP has indicated), then the decision is simple. Take it to an expert to resolve the problem instead of listening to all of the geniuses on this forum.
No wiser comment can be found in this thread!
Old 12-31-2021, 10:40 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
OP listened, evaluated, made a decision and tweaked it.....no leak
Fixed.
3 pages ago/post #55

Many on here are geniuses in varied fields of expertise.

Tags
valve