Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2021, 08:49 PM   #1

Can I tighten a pressure relief valve?

Hey Guys!

Can I tighten a pressure relief valve on my class A? It's leaking at the threads, not the actual valve itself.

Attached image for clarification on what's leaking, and again, it's leaking where it threads into the tank. I sprayed a soapy bubble mixture, and it's bubbling up. Although, it's extremely tiny. You really have to be looking at it to see it bubbling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211222-214038_Gallery.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	352070  
Yillbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2021, 10:15 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I'm guessing there is some kind of sealing tape or compound on the threads. Tightening it may allow it to seal, and then again, you may break the valve off. IMO, I'd take it to a reputable propane dealer and have them drain the tank and then try to fix it.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:33 PM   #3

Give a whirl......it's already weeping so tightening it may well be all it needs

I would do it in small increments then recheck
*shouldn't take much
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:04 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Doesn't appear you can get a box or flare nut wrench on the hex. Try using a tight fitting opened end, being brass the valve hex may just round before the valve turns.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:00 AM   #5

Propane (Boom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Give a whirl......it's already weeping so tightening it may well be all it needs

I would do it in small increments then recheck
*shouldn't take much
Sure, it is already leaking propane! What could go wrong.......BOOM!!!!
Take it to a propane repair facility, so what if it costs $50, better than
blowing yourself to HELL.
almacd1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:13 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
propane tanks run between 125psi and 250psi depending on the ambient temp. it is not dangerous unless there is an open source of flame near by. I'd wait and run the tank down to empty then drain off any excess by opening the pictured vent and letting it run to empty... use your bubbles for an indicator. I'd then purchase a new one if available and replace the old one. the reason is that some times the brass becomes distorted over a period of time and the old one just won't reseal. Then I'd use both some high pressure sealant rated for 3000psi like Gasoila and rated for gas use. depending on the threads, I like to use gas rated teflon tape. I put a coat of sealant, then wrap with the gas rated teflon tape then a coat of sealant and install. don't get the sealant on the inside of the vent valve and don't use to much teflon tape. Using this method I don't get call backs. Rector seal, a common pipe sealant is good but only rated up to 125 psi, in the warm weather the tanks can get up to 250psi. Many new AC gasses now have propane in them but rarely run over 250psi but the thought of it running folks AC systems scares them yet they are sitting on a tank that in 100 degree weather can easily hit 250psi. I have personally measured the pressures in these tanks at diff ambient temps.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by almacd1814 View Post
Sure, it is already leaking propane! What could go wrong.......BOOM!!!!
Take it to a propane repair facility, so what if it costs $50, better than
blowing yourself to HELL.

He said it's barely bubbling. If you take it to a propane dealer the first thing they will try is to tighten it, that's pretty much the fix for a small leak. Do as was posted, turn it in small increments, a small leak won't take much to stop.

And don't let life terrify you so much you terrify others.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:21 AM   #8

Ever wonder what service industry uses FM and Osha approved non-sparking/non-magnetic tools?
Old 12-23-2021, 06:22 AM   #9

Thanks so much for everyone answering. It's clear we have a split on what everyone thinks is the best course of action.

Wanted to clarify, money isn't an option whatsoever, I just found the leak last night by complete chance, was hoping to tighten it would fix it. It did not.

That said if a leak like this is dangerous or can I get it serviced when I'm out of propane? I don't want to be dramatic, but I don't want to give a wrong impression either. This is a small leak, so small that PPL in Houston inspected it and found no issue.

I have no problem with taking it to get it drained/fixed / re-filled. I just don't -want- to lol. It's a trek, we live in the middle of nowhere and it's stored right now. If the general consensus is " a leak is a leak is a leak, needs to be fixed immediately ", then so be it. you fella's know a **** load more about propane than I do.
Yillbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:36 AM   #10

Ventilate the space (fan to outside) and help or let it bleed down. When it is empty (throw some soapy water on it to verify) swap out with a new one. But do this only if you are comfortable with the process!
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:40 AM   #11

If its almost undetectable, there is no reason to have it fixed right now.

Propane is heavier the air and tiny amounts will not accumulate enough to explode.

You probably can't get that leak to light, it's to lean a mixture.

If you do break the fitting, do it in an open field away from ignition sources.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
Ventilate the space (fan to outside) and help or let it bleed down. When it is empty (throw some soapy water on it to verify) swap out with a new one. But do this only if you are comfortable with the process!
Really ? Use an electric fan to disperse propane ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #13

This is from real experience so listen. Take the RV to the country before trying to tighten. If for some reason the valve breaks off or the leak gets worse you don't want to be in town around buildings. I did this once on a calm, cloudy, humid day and it went south. Propane is a gas that falls so with the conditions it just sat on the ground. Got lucky and no explosion but the potential was real.

DON'T do it in town!
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Really ? Use an electric fan to disperse propane ?
He's not in an enclosed space and it is not a major leak.Yes use a fan and use it to disperse the gas out of the storage area. Don't make it sound so dramatic. The inspection that has already taken place by trained professionals deemed it safe as is. He is taking the extra step because he is not comfortable...nor would I be . Leaks tend to get worse over time so it's a good call on his part.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve