Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #15

The horns are new. Hopefully the dogs will put up with them. I will try a sock or an air pressure regulator also.
ky bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2019, 04:41 AM   #16

If I had my way horns on any vehicle would be outlawed. They cause more problems than they solve.
Lynn
Old 07-02-2019, 05:10 AM   #17

I think he is probably not using it very often or his dogs would be used to it by now. It's the occasional use that the dogs are struggling with.

There are coaches with the air horn on a separate switch, not the steering wheel button. The steering wheel button in these coaches has a car style horn. Depending on what coach you have it probably would be too tough to wire in a new switch. Or even a manual valve. I've seen one manual valve that had 2 stages, like a soft pull and a hard pull. But, the low pressure step would have to be pretty accurate to be just enough air to make the horn blow softly...but still blow.

That being said my steering wheel button is my air horn valve. I have 2 different horns. The factory horn on top is a 2 tone and I just installed a new Klein 25 inch truck horn in the gen compartment. All 3 air horns blow simultaneously. Now that's a horn! I don't use it much but when I do it gets the attention reaction I'm looking for.

-E
Old 07-02-2019, 05:26 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I only use my horn maybe once a month to wake up somebody that is buried in their phone and moving into my lane. It's not a parade so lay off the horn and problem solved.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:03 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My air horns were mounted way too high in the front by the generator. They were noisier inside than outside. Moved them down nearer the ground.
But they are still too quiet. I want train horns at 160 dB! For the jerks I encounter way too often.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:37 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
my air horn works through the steering wheel button but goes to 3 position switch on dash. Off = chassis horn , 2= softer/lower volume air, & 3= full volume air. Haven't work on the system so not sure how the switch works in conjunction with the air solenoid to reduce air volume to limit noise level.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #21

I'd leave the air horns exactly as they are. They are intended to get someone's attention in a hurry. Sounds like they do.

My coach actually has two horns - the air horn with a foot control and an electric horn which is controlled from the steering wheel button. They call the electric horn the 'city horn'.

Perhaps what you need is to install an electric 'city horn' with a separate button on the dash. Not for use when you really want someone's attention, but for things like nudging the car ahead when they are asleep as the light turns green. The electric is more polite in situations like this. A small electric horn could easily be installed behind the front clip and wired to a momentary switch on the dash.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm sure I'll get flamed here, but how about taking the dogs off of the dash!! Why are the dogs on the DASH while you're driving?? I know several people with Mini Pins and they aren't that mini. What happens in an event where you suddenly need to maneuver the coach and they come sliding across the dash into your lap. What about now….you say the horn scares them. I'm guessing they're jumping up and blocking your view, right when something is happening and you need to take evasive action. This is evident because you're honking your horn because of an impending issue.

Yes, this is a rant....anyone who allows a pet to sit in their lap or on the dash while driving is endangering EVERYONE on the road. I guess some think it's cute, but it's illegal in many states. How many people do you see driving around town with the dog in their lap looking out the window, blocking at least half their view of traffic and interfering with the ability to make evasive moves.

You can be mad at me and that's fine, but if you take a moment and THINK about what I'm saying, you're really endangering not only other people, but the dear pets that you love. You're putting the freedom of Fido over the lives of the public around you. At minimum, put them in a bed on the floor.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm sure I'll get flamed here and I'm going off topic, but the OP brought it up. Why are the dogs on the DASH while you're driving?? ...
This may be off topic but which comes first, the dogs on the dash or the "mean" air horn?

In general, it appears nearly unanimous that folks think PROPER use of an air horn should mean you really need it and every dbl of noise it puts out. It also appears that most folks suggest the use of "better angels" when considering the use of air horns and not to use them just because you want someone to know they were stupid.

So, back to the question that I think precedes the air horn issue. Should we ever allow pets on the dash while driving? I think not. However, in the case of the OP and I suspect most other similar situations, it may not matter where the pet is located. They may jump out of their skin even if they are anywhere in the coach. Yes, being on the dash may exacerbate it but being somewhere else mitigate it a bit.

So...to the OP...I recommend accepting that the air horn will upset the dog but you want to make sure you give the inconsiderate (stupid) driver every decibel of air horn to avert an accident. Most any other use of the air horn is probably unnecessary.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
I installed a Klein model 102 air horn recently and it works great. ( it has two horns) But we have miniature schnauzers that sit on the dash in the passenger side of the coach as we travel.
When I hit the air horn, our little dogs just about jump through the roof.
Is there a way I can tone it down a bit. I called the factory and they said no. But I can’t believe there is no way to make it a bit more quiet.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Stuff them with plastic bags and duct tape over the ends....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
HMMM...that could be interesting.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Are you suggesting stuffing the air horns or the dogs?
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Are you suggesting stuffing the air horns or the dogs?
Well, now that you've mentioned it.......
Naw, talking about the horns, of course.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #28

In the hole's days one could loosen the rear of the horn and either turn it in to change the tone or back it off.⁴
diesel car is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, install, led