Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2022, 07:18 AM   #85

What code would be violated if he replaced a 4 conductor 30 amp receptacle with a 50 amp receptacle? He said he has a two pole 30 amp circuit with 4 conductors. two lines, a neutral and a ground. Any electrician should know he can not replace a 30 amp breaker to a 50 amp with a wire rated for 30 amps, but i don't know of a code saying you can not install a receptacle with a higher amp rating.
Dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2022, 08:01 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan104 View Post
What code would be violated if he replaced a 4 conductor 30 amp receptacle with a 50 amp receptacle? He said he has a two pole 30 amp circuit with 4 conductors. two lines, a neutral and a ground. Any electrician should know he can not replace a 30 amp breaker to a 50 amp with a wire rated for 30 amps, but i don't know of a code saying you can not install a receptacle with a higher amp rating.
There is no violation as long as there is only one receptacle on the circuit, see post #41.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:37 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan104 View Post
Any licensed electrician won’t do this. If the electrician hooks this up, the person getting this done knows of the possible fire hazard. But if this falls into the hands of another person who thinks he has a true 50a service, wire and breakers, there’s the problem.
This always has to be done right or someone can get hurt or property damaged.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #88

Get a qualified electrician to put in a 50 amp receptacle. Is it worth frying your motorhome or your house for a couple hundred dollars? Do the math.
bionicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:40 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
OMG! 6 pages of amateur advice. There are many ways to make a 240 volt split phase RV work with a 240 volt dryer outlet. Most would not meet wiring code. Wiring code is there for safety.

I recommend you say thank you to all the helpful posters and get advice from an electrician.

Wiring that becomes part of the house should be done according to wiring code. So I would not recommend connecting a 50 amp 240 volt split phase RV outlet socket to a 30 amp 240 volt dryer circuit.

First, code only allows one outlet socket on the dryer circuit. It should not be a 50 amp outlet, only 30.

30 amp dryer outlets typically are 3 wire or 4 wire. 3 wire dryer outlets are missing a ground connection required for the 50 amp RV system.

There are lots of code specification for running a 240 volt split phase branch circuit in a home. It could take a while for your son to learn all the requirements so he could safely do that.

If the 50 amp 240 volt RV shore power cord can reach the existing 30 amp 240 volt split phase dryer socket, you could buy or make an adapter. This assumes the dryer socket is 4 pin. The adapter would not be part of the house wiring and would thus not violate code.

The RV system would have limited power available. The home 30 amp circuit breaker would protect the home branch circuit and trip if the RV system tried to draw more than 30 amps on either leg.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I agree with this ^^^^ completely!!!
You may agree completely but there are several glaring incorrect statements in the above... for example...

First, code only allows one outlet socket on the dryer circuit. It should not be a 50 amp outlet, only 30. THIS IS PARTIALLY TRUE CHECK POST #41

30 amp dryer outlets typically are 3 wire or 4 wire. 3 wire dryer outlets are missing a ground connection required for the 50 amp RV system.
INCORRECT AGAIN ALL 3 WIRE AND 4 WIRE RECEPTICALS AND PLUGSARE GROUNDED. THE 3 WIRE VARIETY LACK A NEUTRAL... VERY DIFFERENT AND IF YOU DON'T COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BEST ADVICE IS DONT DO WIRING DIY AND DONT PROVIDE ADVICE FOR OTHERS TO DO IT

I stand by my earlier post (see #39) thats the BEST (not only) alternative short of rewiring a new 50A 240V circuit is to use a 30A 240V 4 wire receptacle and simply purchase the appropriate dog bone to use the 30A 240V receptacle to feed the 50A 240V MH... thus providing 2 - 30A 120V circuits to the MH and not only meeting code but avoiding any confusion down the road re house breaker or wire sizing that is not compatible with a 50A 240V receptacle.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:11 AM   #90

So funny. The IRV2 annals are chock full of stories of RVs being smoked by licensed electricians.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:21 AM   #91

Don't take too much advice from people here on high-voltage electrical issues. A lot attempt to answer these questions when they don't know what they're talking about. You need a certified electrician/contractor to do the job right. If you're not, don't offer advice. And if they do it wrong or smoke something, it's on them.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote