Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #1

Can I use vehicle ramps for my Class A

I want to raise the rear end of our coach using car/truck ramps. My GVWR is 20,700 lbs. with a Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) of 13,500 for the rear & 7,000 for the front. The ramps I have (Rhino Ramps) are rated at 12,000 lbs (gross vehicle weight) for the pair. However our RV has dual wheels (as I think most Class A’s have) so I would be using a pair on one side & a pair on the other side for a combined rating of 24,000 lbs. I need to know if my rational is correct by using two pair will they be adequate to support our RV?
LGClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Might carry the weight but I would be worried about side to side movement. That said if I were to do that I wound make sure the ramps were tied together and on very level stable ground and there was not much wind.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGClarke View Post
I want to raise the rear end of our coach using car/truck ramps. My GVWR is 20,700 lbs. with a Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) of 13,500 for the rear & 7,000 for the front. The ramps I have (Rhino Ramps) are rated at 12,000 lbs (gross vehicle weight) for the pair. However our RV has dual wheels (as I think most Class A’s have) so I would be using a pair on one side & a pair on the other side for a combined rating of 24,000 lbs. I need to know if my rational is correct by using two pair will they be adequate to support our RV?
I personally wouldn't do it. We lost a member when his coach fell and crushed him. The best thing is to make large wooden blocks, glued together and flat. Remember, whether you have an air brake system or regular brakes, once you lift all 6 or 8 wheels of your rig off the ground, you have no brakes. The blocks become your brakes. The MH could slip at any time. Be very careful.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Well Sir,
Based on your info here, your ramps are rated to hold 12K per pair, correct? You're going to use TWO PAIR for your task. And yes, you'd have 24,000 lbs worth of rating. Just wondering, have you ACTUALLY WEIGHED your coach to see just what each axle is carrying? That way, you'd know for dead sure what you're asking of those ramps to hold. If they're rated for 12K per pair, and you're going to use TWO PAIRS, as far as capability is concerned, you're good to go. But, as one poster stated, I'd maybe do what I could to secure each pair together to keep them from squishing around some.

They give those ratings for a reason. Pretty sure they don't just slap 12K worth of rating for the heck of it. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I made some for my semi out of 6/6 treated posts left over from a post and beam shed i built. I cut them with a chain saw, (for the slope) then screwed them together, so they were 12" wide! I then screwed some 3/8" plywood on the top to help hold them together. They were heavy, so i left them at home, but they got the front end of the semi up far enough so i could get under it to work. You could also use a R/R tie, and do the same thing!

I think you will be fine with the two together, for the rear duals, but you might have to space them apart, with a 1"/2" or what ever will work, secure them together, and they should be very stable! After you get your MH up on them, i would do some side to side pushing and pulling, just to check how stable they are, and make the call if you feel comfortable or not!
It might be a trick getting your MH up on them? Don't know?

A lot of guy's use 2/12's and step them up as they go, all screwed together, 4 or 5 high!

Be safe, which ever way you decide to go! Rail!
Old 02-22-2017, 12:30 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a pair of Rhino ramps I use with my Jeep, wife's car, and half ton pickup truck. They are fine with those vehicles. But no way I would put my motorhome on them. Build a set of wooden ramps as others have described.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:40 AM   #7

Was looking to do the same thing until I read the reviews on Rhino Ramps. The 12,000 lb rating assumes a near perfectly flat and level surface. Many reviews talk about crushing the Rhino Ramps with a 1/2 ton pickup or similar vehicle. In all cases they were on sloped or uneven driveways. You can start by reading Amazon reviews.

Some one else mentioned building Ramps from solid blocks of wood. This is a much safer option.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:24 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have a pair of Rhino ramps I use with my Jeep, wife's car, and half ton pickup truck. They are fine with those vehicles. But no way I would put my motorhome on them. Build a set of wooden ramps as others have described.
Any difference in height will change how much weight each ramp is supporting. My old Winnebago had a Jet Air Ride system instead of leveling jacks and I carried oak wood ramps I made all the time. I would not want to go under metal ramps unless they were rated to carry the entire weight of the coach. I can't see that the gamble is worth it and if you felt so sure you wouldn't have asked the question. Be safe and enjoy another trip.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:39 AM   #9

Why chance it. Build wood graduated ramps and back MH onto them. Cheap to do, stable and no worries.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
I personally wouldn't do it. We lost a member when his coach fell and crushed him. The best thing is to make large wooden blocks, glued together and flat. Remember, whether you have an air brake system or regular brakes, once you lift all 6 or 8 wheels of your rig off the ground, you have no brakes. The blocks become your brakes. The MH could slip at any time. Be very careful.
No one has suggested lifting any of the wheels off the ground.

I agree with others, though; wooden ramps made our of 2x12s would be much more secure.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #11

In our heavy equipment shop, unless up on jack stands for brake work, we used wooden ramps exclusively.

Since we also used them for track machines, they took a beating, but our dock department would build us new ones.

They were big and heavy, but gave us full, stable ground contact, even outside on some pretty bad asphalt.

If the ramps, being discused, are hollow underneath, I wouldn't trust them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Why take a chance. Best thing is it works. Worst thing, you get hurt or the MH gets damaged. I wouldn't do it. it's not worth it.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #13

Quote:
I am just curious why you want to do this. Are you trying to raise it up so it gets level or are you wanting to get under it for some work or maintenance? Either way, I would stick with wood and build some ramps that way.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #14

Sounds like a good way to get a Darwin Award!!!!!!

Tags
class a