Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2021, 07:46 AM   #1

Can you help assess value of an 03 Monaco, please?

Hey folks, I know most forums nobody like the "what's it worth" threads but being brand new in the game and in what seems to be a market with prices all over the board, I can't really tell.

I'm looking at a 2003 Monaco Camelot 3 slide 40' Coach. We love the floor plan, and the owner is very transparent. Videos showing most all little issues and some bigger issues. Makes me feel more comfortable as a buyer. It's got 125k miles on a Cummins ISC. Onan generator is at 7200 hrs but runs without issue. I understand that's higher than most but also understand that with proper service these generators can go a lot more. Interior seems very well kept, non smoking RV. New radiator and Inverter recently. tires are 3 yrs old on date but look new.

I'd say the biggest issue that I'm aware of is peeling clearcoat along the roof perimeter and as low as the overhead marker lights on the cap. Reading through archived threads here I've seen people mention between $1500 and $3000 to repray clear.

What would you estimate this coach to sell at?

Second question, in a few years with Covid craze (hopefully) behind us, will these tank in value? Will we see triple slide top tier coaches sell for $10k - $20k in 10 years?

Thanks for any input!
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I paid 42K for my coach and put another 20K into it in renovations and maintenance issues to get it road worthy, including tires and shocks. It isn't about what it will be worth it's about how you will use it and if it is what you want. Rarely are you ever going to get close to your money back on an RV. Having said that, at this age they have really gotten close to bottoming out in depreciation and value will be based a lot more on condition so if you maintain it well it won't hurt so bad when you sell.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:04 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sight unseen I would put the value at 30-40k by what you have described. Honestly, I wouldn’t consider purchasing it unless you are an above average do-it-yourselfer. If you are not real handy the costs and loss of use time can get significant.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
These are crazy times and older quality coaches seemed to selling for premium prices. The best you can to is do a search for similar coaches currently listed for sale. This will give you an idea how competitive the price may be. This may vary by area. The start making some adjustments for condition.
Clear coat is a constant battle, some people are obsessed with this, in my case I just live with it since it doesn't really impact serviceability. At some point I may fix but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Back in 2008 during the "Great Recession" we were looking to upgrade from our Class C. We happen to see the 2002 Windsor listed in Florida and decided to stop and look. Wow, it looked great and the price was even better because it was a REPO. We paid ~50% of NADA value at the time.

So can this type of thing happen again, probably if a lot of people decide to sell coaches they bought during the pandemic.

So if you are buying with concern about value in the future RV'ing may not be your cup of tea, it is expensive to maintain and operate a coach, no matter what the condition. I'm getting ready to spend ~$5-7K getting my coach ready to travel with tires, fuel pump, and other upgrades.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:13 AM   #5

As to the current selling price, in the past year the RV market has gone crazy with prices inflated but NADA lists several different 3 slide Camalots but the retail price listings are all in the $42K range. Chances are that under the current conditions you will have to pay somewhat more, but that may give you some idea to work with.

To answer your second question, it is nothing more than a guess but I suspect that we will see a significant drop in RV prices as things return to normal, if they ever do so. I suspect that it is going to take a very long time for all of the effects to disappear but hopefully most will be gone in another year. But everything is dependent upon the reliability of the vaccines and the actions of the public.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:39 AM   #6

Found a 04 for $60,000 and 100,000 miles. Another 04 for $70,000 and 65,000 miles. I would go for a 03 Dynasty over a Camelot finding 2 for $65,000.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #7

I have spent close to a year searching for our next RV and finally found it 2 weeks ago. I was searching for a 15-20 year old Beaver, Monaco,Tiffin or Newmar so I know these a bit. That nada price for all three listed 40’ with three slides and not taking into account options, mileage ect show between $35-40k but I know in this market they are probably listing for $10-15k above that? How long it has been listed, how many people have looked and walked and how bad they really want to sell will be the key with final price. In my case we found a 2001 Beaver Patriot (non thunder) with the 330hp Cat with 60k, 1700 hours on the Onan 7.5 with beautiful full body paint (garaged), walnut cabs and many receipts of work done or maintenance throughout it’s history. He started at $48.5 and I was heasitant to look as was wanting the bigger thunder package, a week went buy and it dropped to $42.5 so we went for a look and after almost 2 hours crawling all over it we drove it home for $40k. The main thing to remember to me is these older coaches are a foundation to fix and improve on and I feel we found a winner, good luck with your search. After all that I think you need to be in the mid $30k range on that Camelot.
Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98CF4D50-54DC-4B84-B3E8-A6A11C7A2EE2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	490.5 KB
ID:	324605   Click image for larger version

Name:	0942A48A-64BE-46DB-B94E-39E69F159784.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	324606  

768Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 768Q View Post
I have spent close to a year searching for our next RV and finally found it 2 weeks ago. I was searching for a 15-20 year old Beaver, Monaco,Tiffin or Newmar so I know these a bit. That nada price for all three listed 40’ with three slides and not taking into account options, mileage ect show between $35-40k but I know in this market they are probably listing for $10-15k above that? How long it has been listed, how many people have looked and walked and how bad they really want to sell will be the key with final price. In my case we found a 2001 Beaver Patriot (non thunder) with the 330hp Cat with 60k, 1700 hours on the Onan 7.5 with beautiful full body paint (garaged), walnut cabs and many receipts of work done or maintenance throughout it’s history. He started at $48.5 and I was heasitant to look as was wanting the bigger thunder package, a week went buy and it dropped to $42.5 so we went for a look and after almost 2 hours crawling all over it we drove it home for $40k. The main thing to remember to me is these older coaches are a foundation to fix and improve on and I feel we found a winner, good luck with your search. After all that I think you need to be in the mid $30k range on that Camelot.
Keith
Keith, NADA is 43,500 base. It's not listed, I had posted looking for a coach and the gentleman responded. Asking $50k. I believe it to be well maintained and in overall nice condition. I can't see finding a Camelot in the $30k range, but maybe I just haven't waited long enough. Most stuff seems to be above $50k right now.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 768Q View Post
Keith
Wow! Nice coach at a great price. Yours looks similar to mine even though we have the thunder package. I paid $55,000 two years ago and really love it. Agree.... $30k range is about right for the OP.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
Keith, NADA is 43,500 base. It's not listed, I had posted looking for a coach and the gentleman responded. Asking $50k. I believe it to be well maintained and in overall nice condition. I can't see finding a Camelot in the $30k range, but maybe I just haven't waited long enough. Most stuff seems to be above $50k right now.

OP, He may be fishing a bit then to see what the market will bear if he responded to your "looking for" ad and it may well be worth it in this market that you will have to decide, always worth a look if it is near enough. When we were test driving our coach I asked the owner why he was selling, he responded he just got back from Dallas 2 weeks ago with a 2017 Newmar so knew he was serious to get his gone.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.
768Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #11

Interesting comments. I have an '02 37' Tiffin Allegro Bus I will be putting on the market when we get back from an 8000 mile trip in June. Don't snowbird anymore so don't need that big of a coach. Many upgrades runs and operates great and will have about 110,000 after the trip. It will be interesting to see the response I get when I list it. I am thinking around $51K.
gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco