Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wow....so many here did similar things as they advanced through the years. I started out in my teens camping in the back of my 4x4 with a camper shell. Got married and along came kids, so then came the 3 Lance campers. The girls got bigger, so we went to a Class C with more room that could pull our 22' boat. Girls got older and started working. We bought a cruiser and rode weekends for 11 years. We eventually sold the boat due to lack of use.

I had a job that allowed a lot of time off, so we moved up to a DP. All the previous rigs were about hauling boats, sleeping four and eating outside. The new DP was more about entertaining 4-6 people, relaxing in the evenings and sleeping TWO!

We got tired of the cruiser and bought an RZR and dragged it around behind the DP. Both our daughters now have TT's and we go camping with them when they get time off. We were doing about 2 months a year while working, now retired, we go when we want. We sold the first DP and bought our current one. It's more comfortable and larger when we all go camping. The grandkids love to play in papa's motor home, but sleep in own their TT's.

We love the comfort of our coach. I can leave tomorrow, head across the country and just need to stop for groceries and fuel. With DirecTV HD, Skype, quality cell service we can stay in touch with the kids/grandkids and still enjoy the country. We also through in a cruise every year since we retired, so we do experience some other modes of vacationing.

With all that said, you're just going thru the natural progression of owning an RV and getting older. Buy something that fits your budget and you're CHANGING
life style. Keep in mind that if you do intend to go full time at some point, will the coach you want now, do that job? If not, possibly buy a nice used interim coach and get the feel for what you want.

I smiled when I read "noserider's" post.....I've always enjoyed having my toys (why I worked so hard). I'm also waiting now for a bunch of Amazon/UPS deliveries for my coach (gadgets). My BIL once asked my why I wanted a DP. I told him that I liked driving into a campground and have heads turn, followed by the sound of the air brake being applied. He bought a DP too!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
I went through various stages as well, though not in a logical order. First was a tent – OK when you’re young and no kids. A few years later and one small child, I bought a 16” travel trailer. I was posted in an isolated place (Masset QCI now Haida Quay?) and we went onto deserted beaches and occasionally a ferry ride to the mainland and down south (BC and Washington State). Good times.

Sold the TT when posted across Canada to Gander NF. Used the in-laws mobile home summer place on the coast for a get-away.

Posted to Kingston ON and bought a 23’ TT to live in with two young kids until military housing was available. Traded the TT in on pop up tent trailer (what was I thinking) Used to come home from a couple of weeks in the field (in a tent etc) and the DW would want to go camping for the weekend (hot, humid)! Lots of time in upstate NY campgrounds.

Posted back to Gander and sold the pop-up there and used the in-laws mobile home again.

Jump forward a few years, posted back to ON and missed camping. Started looking at Class C’s but they seemed awful small but within budget.

Retired from the army and then became an independent contractor with some good years – went through three Class A’s in two years (a 2000 gas Bounder 36’, traded up to 99 DSDP 38’ and couldn’t turn down a deal on a 2003 DSDP 4005, paid cash for all). Was planning retire to but got offered a term position with a steady salary and took it, now they want to make it permanent so I’ll probably take it to help out my military pension for at least for a few years (I’ll be 65 in 4 years).

I get six weeks’ vacation and I also work a compressed week with every 2nd Friday off. We make a lot of short trips to upstate NY (we’re 30 min from the border) and try to plan a two-three week trip each year but life gets in the way ( 1st grandchild coming soon in NF).

Now, will I get my money’s worth out of my current 2003 MH? Yep, already have as far as I’m concerned!

Guess what I’m saying in my long-winded way is that if you enjoy being outdoors, seeing new places, meeting new people, a Class A is one of the best (and economical) ways of doing it. Your return on your investment is not in dollars – it’s in enjoying life!

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

With all that said, you're just going thru the natural progression of owning an RV and getting older. Buy something that fits your budget and you're CHANGING
life style. Keep in mind that if you do intend to go full time at some point, will the coach you want now, do that job? If not, possibly buy a nice used interim coach and get the feel for what you want.
Thanks DSD, your insight is very helpful and I enjoy reading your comments and posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Now, will I get my money’s worth out of my current 2003 MH? Yep, already have as far as I’m concerned!

Guess what I’m saying in my long-winded way is that if you enjoy being outdoors, seeing new places, meeting new people, a Class A is one of the best (and economical) ways of doing it. Your return on your investment is not in dollars – it’s in enjoying life!

Chris
Thanks Chris - ROI is not in dollars, it's enjoying life. You need to write a book! Cheers buddy.
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote