Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2007, 05:32 AM   #1

Hi all...I traded in a motorhome at a dealer in FL.(at this point unnamed). The coach I bought was an Allegro Bus with 13K miles. Great deal.

The people who traded it in bought the coach in Canada. I am now being told that to properly transfer the coach I have to go through customs. Did I forget to say that I live in central Florida and bought the coach on the Florida coast. I have to drive to Orlando and have the VIN verified by customs and then a notary from Florida.

Anybody ever heard of this??

Fritz..............Thanks in advance
Fritzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:32 AM   #2

Hi all...I traded in a motorhome at a dealer in FL.(at this point unnamed). The coach I bought was an Allegro Bus with 13K miles. Great deal.

The people who traded it in bought the coach in Canada. I am now being told that to properly transfer the coach I have to go through customs. Did I forget to say that I live in central Florida and bought the coach on the Florida coast. I have to drive to Orlando and have the VIN verified by customs and then a notary from Florida.

Fritz..............Thanks in advance
Old 05-03-2007, 05:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The selling dealer should do what ever is necessary.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
You'd think the previous owners would have had to go through customs when they crossed into the US with the MH? The selling dealer should make application for a Florida title to be sent to you or to your lien holder, whichever is applicable.

If the dealer didn't and put it off onto you, it makes me wonder why.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fritzo:

Fritz..............Thanks in advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean that a licensed dealer in the state of Florida sold you a vehicle that they did not have a clear and legal title for? It is the dealer responsibility to provide you the title.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I hate to say it but it sounds like Lazydays RV
Center. Anything to make a sale.

Jim
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

A vehicle can be driven into the country for a vacation, but its a whole different matter to import a vehicle for sale in the country. Any imported vehicle has to meet US highway safety standards and have valid paperwork from the country of origin, e.g. title. US Customs is charged with assuring that no illegal vehicles are brought into the country and they may ask you for additional proof of safety equipment, ownership, etc. That's the "why" behind the rigmarole you are being asked to go through.

But you should have to do nothing - the dealer is responsible for giving you a clear title to the vehicle (unless you bought is as "salvage", e.g. for parts). The dealer cannot sell it to you without first having a clear title themselves. Let them do whatever is needed - or deamnd your money back.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #8

Motorhomes owned by Canadian Snowbirds are frequently traded to dealers in all the Snowbird states. A DECENT dealer knows how to do all the paperwork. It is incumbent on the dealer to provide a title. Not your problem I would walk from this dealer.

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The coach was made here so should be no problem with safety. The people next door to us in Fl this year was from Canada and traded in there coach. He said he just had to pay a tax to bring it in this contry and sell it. The dealer should know what to do.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UPS 34:
The coach was made here so should be no problem with safety. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coaches built in the USA, for sale in Canada, are built to Canadian standards and codes which may be different than US standards and codes.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:28 AM   #11

Did you finance the buy? If so you might want to find out how the finance company handled the title issue. They may be able to help you.
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #12

HI all.....Thought I'd give a little more to the story. I bought the coach in January. In March I received a call to say the VIN needed to be checked and to bring it back to the dealer...a 2+ hour ride. I refused and said send someone to me and check it.
They said they would try.

Beginning of May I received a phone call and was told that not only did the VIN need to be checked, but I had to go through customs. I said send them to me!!

The next day I received a voice mail call from BMV saying since I am in possession I have to take it to customs.

Very Interesting!!!!!

Fritzo
Old 05-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #13

Did you receive a title? If not , why not?? If you have the title then the onus is on the dealer to do what has to be done. Sue them!! This is fraud!!

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote