Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 02:55 PM  

Canceling your insurance

So I had Safeco which I got through Good Sam, after the first year they raised my rate from $900 to $1,200 so I called Good Sam and they set me up with another company for under $900, same coverage. Now I get a bill from Safeco saying they canceled me after 30 days but I owe about $100 for the 30 days because the policy was still in force. I did not notify them that I was going with another carrier. Is this legit? Going to call them tomorrow but I don't recall ever having this happen before when changing carriers. If so it means I was covered by both carriers for that 30 days as I had the new coverage start the same day the old coverage expired, I didn't know the old carrier would continue to cover me for another 30 days. The Good Sam rep didn't mention anything about this either.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 03:00 PM  

Sounds legit
$1200/yr=$100/month so 1 month coverage you owe

Should ALWAYS verify cancellation date in writing/e-mail so everyone is informed as to when policy ends
*notified Safeco directly not relying on 3rd party (Good Sam)
Old 12-05-2021, 04:25 PM  

This is a little gray for me. Your old company probably had a duty to not cancel without notice but at the same time you did not ask them to re-new. Proving you went with another company and did not have a gap in coverage should get you off the hook.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:28 PM  

If you did not inform them to cancel on a specific date, they will still carry you for a 30 day grace period once the policy lapses. They don’t know if you simply missed the payment or never intend to renew, so you still have coverage during that time, just in case. You were remiss for not confirming a cancellation date.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:47 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
If you did not inform them to cancel on a specific date, they will still carry you for a 30 day grace period once the policy lapses. They don’t know if you simply missed the payment or never intend to renew, so you still have coverage during that time, just in case. You were remiss for not confirming a cancellation date.

Your policy runs out on a certain date. You are under no obligation to do anything if you simply want to end coverage at the policy end date. I just did that with State Farm this summer. I got a policy with an agent in Idaho for my newly purchased Tiffin. Six months later I added the RV to my auto policy with my normal agent here in Montana. State Farm sent a few letters advising that it was time for renewal. I ignored them.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:39 PM  
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't see how they could force you to pay that! JMHO
Old 12-05-2021, 07:31 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you did not renew and did not have an auto-renew in place, tell them to ...take a long walk on a short pier.

Ken
Old 12-06-2021, 09:53 AM  

All my policies have a clear ending date on the declaration page.

Without you selecting an auto renew on your policy, I don't see how they can legally bill you for anything after that ending date .....

I just renewed my auto policy (two cars) in November. The following is printed directly below my "Offer to Renew Declaration"

"Your coverage expires Nov 14, 2021, at 12:01 A.M. Payment of the premium renews your policy for the period shown. If your payment is not received before Nov 14, 2021 this Offer to Renew will be null and void."
Old 12-06-2021, 10:34 AM  

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Probably should have notified them that you were cancelling. Might not be required, but the right thing to do. I'm sure you would want to be notified if they were cancelling you. Might go into a database used by other companies for credit checks. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:25 AM  

It's because of situations like this, that many years ago I made a decision to go with a local insurance agent where I can walk in, sit down and discuss anything insurance. If I change companies it's within companies my agent works with. My agent handles the calls and fulfills my needs and I don't have to worry. They handle the cancellations if need be. They actually monitor my policies and if they see a red flag somewhere I will be called for a consultation.
A few years ago I had a catastrophic equipment failure in my auto repair shop when a cable on a four post lift broke. There was a six month old Ford F-350 pick up/ utility box on the rack at the time. When the cable broke one corner of the lift dropped to the floor just missing my tech who had just stepped out from under the lift. The truck was rolled over on it's side. I immediately called my insurance agency's owner who was also a customer of mine. He came down and took pictures of damages and the work two wreckers had to do to extract the truck out of the lift. Damages to the lift and the truck as well as the floor where the lift was mounted totaled over $46,000. I was extremely lucky there was no liquid spillage.
My insurance company paid the claim in full but with two months left before my anniversary renewal date I got a notice of cancellation effective at the end of my coverage period. My agent went to work and found coverage with a different carrier and the premium came in lower for the same coverage I had and even a little more.
Chances are when you deal with "Good Sam" you are communicating with someone in a call center who has limited knowledge of insurance or a particular company's procedures.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:03 PM  

I would not pay the bill, you weren't insured. As a matter of fact, I would likely file a complaint with the appropriate regulatory agency. You had a contract with clearly spelled out terms stating that when the contract began and ended. The insurance company cannot unilaterally change the terms of that contact which is what they are trying to do. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you had an accident at 12:02 on the day after the policy expired they would not pay the claim. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:06 PM  

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've never canceled a policy. If they go up I find a different company. So far I've saved thousands by switching around. And don't have comp or collusion. Saving much more, but keep a large and growing slush fund.
By having minimal insurances I've saved upwards of 2 hundred grand in my life.
Insurance is the largest SCAM.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:42 PM  

Update: I called then this morning and at first they explained that I owed the money because they did not receive a notice of cancellation from me or the agent. At that point I responded in a slightly less friendly tone that I didn't agree with that and I had already started coverage with the new company for the 30 days in question. She put me on hold for 15 minutes, then came back and transferred me to the cancellation dept where they entered in a cancellation for the day my policy expired and said I could disregard the bill.
Lesson learned, and you cannot rely on the agent either.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:54 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I've never canceled a policy. If they go up I find a different company. So far I've saved thousands by switching around. And don't have comp or collusion. Saving much more, but keep a large and growing slush fund.
By having minimal insurances I've saved upwards of 2 hundred grand in my life.
Insurance is the largest SCAM.
X2! Don't want to get on my soap box about insurance companies but... People that have a lien on their vehicle don't have the luxury and are forced to carry full coverage. Others live in fear and have been brainwashed about how dangerous it would be to not have full coverage.

Insurance companies are in business to make money and that is their only goal. They don't give a flip about covering your back and will do everything in their power to deny or minimize legitimate claims.

Tags
insurance