Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #15

Just joined the club this morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
It appears I left the fuel cap at the pump when I last fueled up at the end of December. I didn't discover the error until I took the coach out for a quick spring shakedown yesterday. Diesel fuel all over the place.

The idea of forgetting the fuel cap has played on my mind before because it isn't dummy-corded to the coach like most auto fuel caps these days. I suppose it was inevitable, but I still can't believe I actually did that.

I'm such a stupid.
I bought two tire covers last week, to keep the Florida sun off the driver side tires. Parked on the passenger side of the coach. Drove about 300 yards, before I thought I heard something and remembered!!! The front one wrapped around the axle, but didn't do any damage. The back one was still perfectly on the back outside tire!
Just added a reminder strip for tire covers to the steering wheel!
KCSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Guess I'm in the club too. Last year when I got Harvey I put a receptacle outside my garage to kept it plugged in. Now I know what you are thinking...he pulled out with it still plugged in. Well you are wrong, I did it two times...in a row.

The first time I got away with it. The second time I ripped the cord right out of the transfer switch, destroying it in the process. :-(

Now I have a sticker just above my steering wheel. It reads "Is everything disconnected?"
Old 03-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have done the fuel cap deal a couple of times on my pu as the plastic lanyard was broken. Fuel caps these days are not cheap! I know I am going to leave my diesel cap from the coach soon, too soon. Right now when fueling I literally stick it immediately in my front pocket. Think the fishing leader idea is a good one, I think??
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #18

Pretty soon I'll be clipping a reminder on the steering wheel that says "Have you checked all the reminders?".
Old 03-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Pretty soon I'll be clipping a reminder on the steering wheel that says "Have you checked all the reminders?".
Are you saying you don't have one now ??? Sometimes I think my whole life is on post it notes . Now if I can only remember to refer to them.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Today I drove off from the campground and left the welcome mat on the ground that I looked at and just wiped my boots on before climbing into the coach to leave. Two weeks ago I left both back rest pillows on the picnic table next to the coach when I drove away.

So don't feel to bad your a member of a very large club.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Oh yes...we're members of this club. Last year we left our expensive surge protector on the grass and drove away. Took it out of the plug, put it carefully on the grass next to the RV and off we went...a mere $400 left behind, and absolutely no logical reason for doing something so utterly silly. Thankfully our neighbors (who we had befriended) found it, called us up and fedexed it to us at our next campsite. Thank goodness for good RV neighbors!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I'am a member of this club. The last time i went to get fuel before going camping I pulled out of the driveway went to gas station . Coming back home I saw what I thought was two big white bags in the street by the house. Turns out it was my wheelcovers that I forgot to take off. Where is my sign.
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My gas cap hangs from a permanent chain, so there it was hanging there, where it had been for the last three hundred miles.

It gets worse. I called my daughter a few days ago for her birthday, then said here talk to your mom. I spent the next five minutes looking for my phone.

"Where the hell is my phone?" My wife raised it from her ear and gave me the shush look.

I think we need a trophy and an annual meeting.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #24

I have never left my fuel cap off. I wouldn't do anything like that. Oh by the way, if anyone finds a oil cap on HY 71 in Mo, I would appreciate it if they would send it to me. One other thing, a 16 oz plastic coke bottle and duck tape will work as a oil cap on a F53. Don't ask me how I know. LOL
Modela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
I have done the fuel cap deal a couple of times on my pu as the plastic lanyard was broken. Fuel caps these days are not cheap! I know I am going to leave my diesel cap from the coach soon, too soon. Right now when fueling I literally stick it immediately in my front pocket. Think the fishing leader idea is a good one, I think??
I have locking fuel caps on both sides of the MH. I keep the keys to the fuel caps on the same key ring as the key to start/run the MH. When I unlock the cap I leave the key in the cap and place it on top of the pump. I can't tell you how many times I've had to go back in the MH to get my key so I could remove the cap. More importantly there have been many times where I have had to go back outside to get my key and replace the fuel cap as it's impossible for me to leave without it.
Confusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #26

Yep, I done the oil filler cap thing before. I wonder how much dust my engine had to eat before I got another cap.

I've also taken off with a 50-foot extension cord still hooked up. Fortunately, I only drove five miles to the filling station. When I got out of the coach, I looked back and saw this long orange cord trailing me. Only then did I realize why the traffic stayed so far behind me on the way to the station.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have replaced the gas cap 3!! times for my toad (Jeep Wrangler). I now put it in my pocket when refueling.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you don't think your part of this club or maybe even a founding father, you just plain forgot, or wiped it from your fading memory
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote