Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #1

Can't choke my generator

Where is the best place online to buy a choke element for my onan 5kw emerald plus
Philswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #2

https://generator-parts.com/onan-generator-parts.html

try them or ebay
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

Can't choke my generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post

Thank you, we just bought this 99 Winnebago adventurer a couple months ago and the generator would run but very rough and rich, oil was fuel fouled and it had automotive platinum spark plus , so I changed the oil and put the correct champion plugs In it and adjusted the choke where it would stay open, ran great for about four hours with the roof ac going ,so we hit the road and after about 20 mins it shut off and would restart and die , tried it the next day and fired right up so I replaced the fuel pump and all was good for about two hours and same thing died and restart then die now no start , just checked and I have fuel and spark but not sure if I have enough spark , any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philswrench View Post
Thank you, we just bought this 99 Winnebago adventurer a couple months ago and the generator would run but very rough and rich, oil was fuel fouled and it had automotive platinum spark plus , so I changed the oil and put the correct champion plugs In it and adjusted the choke where it would stay open, ran great for about four hours with the roof ac going ,so we hit the road and after about 20 mins it shut off and would restart and die , tried it the next day and fired right up so I replaced the fuel pump and all was good for about two hours and same thing died and restart then die now no start , just checked and I have fuel and spark but not sure if I have enough spark , any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Let's step back and think about this. Are you having trouble starting the generator? This is where the choke comes into play. The choke plate should be shut on initial start up then open as the engine warms up until the plate is straight up and down allowing all the air possible to enter the carburetor.
If this is the way your choke is operating you don't need a choke coil. After two hours of running the choke should be out of the equation.
Before the engine stalls out does the engine start to smoke black smoke from the exhaust? Or, does the engine just die out?
How much gas do you have in the tank. Most if not all RV's supply fuel to the generator from the main fuel tank. The pick up tube in the fuel tank supplying the generator is shorter than the main engine's fuel pick up. This is normal and is designed that way so you don't run the fuel tank dry running the generator and leave you stranded with a totally empty fuel tank.
Have you changed the fuel filter on the generator? These filters are small and won't hold much debris before they restrict fuel flow. They can and often will cause problems. I would change the filter just for the sake of changing it.
If I was having your problem I would pull the carburetor off and have someone familiar with these carbs disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning. Coupled with the fuel filter change and the fact you have a new fuel pump already if you have adequate fuel in the tank you have pretty much eliminated a fuel delivery issue.
Ignition of course could cause your issue. Coils can fail when run for periods of time and get warm. Once they cool down they seem to work just fine again. If you can, check for a crisp blue spark from a spark plug as soon as the engine quits. Be sure you have the test plug grounded well against the engine block. If you get a lazy looking, weak orange spark across the spark electrodes you may have a coil failure or some other ignition issue.
You have a good reliable generator in your MH. Keep at it and you will get it working fine for many many hours.
Lynn
Old 06-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Let's step back and think about this. Are you having trouble starting the generator? This is where the choke comes into play. The choke plate should be shut on initial start up then open as the engine warms up until the plate is straight up and down allowing all the air possible to enter the carburetor.
If this is the way your choke is operating you don't need a choke coil. After two hours of running the choke should be out of the equation.
Before the engine stalls out does the engine start to smoke black smoke from the exhaust? Or, does the engine just die out?
How much gas do you have in the tank. Most if not all RV's supply fuel to the generator from the main fuel tank. The pick up tube in the fuel tank supplying the generator is shorter than the main engine's fuel pick up. This is normal and is designed that way so you don't run the fuel tank dry running the generator and leave you stranded with a totally empty fuel tank.
Have you changed the fuel filter on the generator? These filters are small and won't hold much debris before they restrict fuel flow. They can and often will cause problems. I would change the filter just for the sake of changing it.
If I was having your problem I would pull the carburetor off and have someone familiar with these carbs disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning. Coupled with the fuel filter change and the fact you have a new fuel pump already if you have adequate fuel in the tank you have pretty much eliminated a fuel delivery issue.
Ignition of course could cause your issue. Coils can fail when run for periods of time and get warm. Once they cool down they seem to work just fine again. If you can, check for a crisp blue spark from a spark plug as soon as the engine quits. Be sure you have the test plug grounded well against the engine block. If you get a lazy looking, weak orange spark across the spark electrodes you may have a coil failure or some other ignition issue.
You have a good reliable generator in your MH. Keep at it and you will get it working fine for many many hours.
Lynn

Thanks Lynn, the choke plate would shut when cold but never open and I had voltage at the choke coil so I adjusted it to stay open and I changed spark plugs , oil and filter, fuel filter , and fuel pump , adjust mixture on carb, with the generator warm and at full load , ran great for a couple hours then quit would start then die a few times then no start , have fuel , but I think spark looks a little weak , checked with a Phillips screwdriver jumping to ground
Old 06-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philswrench View Post
Thanks Lynn, the choke plate would shut when cold but never open and I had voltage at the choke coil so I adjusted it to stay open and I changed spark plugs , oil and filter, fuel filter , and fuel pump , adjust mixture on carb, with the generator warm and at full load , ran great for a couple hours then quit would start then die a few times then no start , have fuel , but I think spark looks a little weak , checked with a Phillips screwdriver jumping to ground

No smoke stumbles a couple times and dies
Old 06-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #7

Ok just tried to start it after sitting 2 1/2 hours and cooling off , started up and purrs like a kitten :(
Old 06-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #8

Now I understand why you are in need of a choke coil.
The quitting on the other hand is another issue. My first guess would be an ignition problem. Bad coil or something else in the electronics in the ignition system. I have the exact same generator in my MH. I will get the manual out and give it a look.
On the other hand there is a remote possibility there could be sediment in the float bowl which could be getting sucked up into the carburetor's main fuel jet eventually plugging it. When the generator quits the sediment may be dropping out of the jet back into the float bowl. From this vantage point I can only guess. You might remove the float bowl and take a look inside.
I will try to get back to you as soon as I can with ignition information.
Meanwhile do a search on this forum for ONAN problems similar to yours.
Any one on here will do all we or they can to resolve your dilemma.
Lynn
Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #9

https://youtu.be/fAh9pozbPqo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
The quitting on the other hand is another issue. My first guess would be an ignition problem. Bad coil or something else in the electronics in the ignition system. I have the exact same generator in my MH. I will get the manual out and give it a look.
On the other hand there is a remote possibility there could be sediment in the float bowl which could be getting sucked up into the carburetor's main fuel jet eventually plugging it. When the generator quits the sediment may be dropping out of the jet back into the float bowl. From this vantage point I can only guess. You might remove the float bowl and take a look inside.
Lynn

Thanks Lynn you're a ton of help , iRV2 is the most awesome forum on the planet !!!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Lynn

Lynn, is there anyway you can tell me if this unit has a magneto and where it's located, thanks Phil
Old 06-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #12

TRY THIS:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/gener...arts-2537.html
Lynn

Tags
generator