Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

Can't stand the driver's seat on my 2013 Thor ACE 29.2

My wife and I just completed our maiden voyage in a 2013 Ace 29.2 Everything worked out great EXCEPT, I can't stand the driver's seat. All seems fine after an initial test sit, but it became apparent right away, that I'm too tall for proper upward visibility (I can't see traffic lights.) The seat is not very adjustable, only swivel, slide and back tilt. The pedestal post is a solid tube, so there is no option for vertical adjustment. I was tempted to have a friend cut 2" out of the post and re-weld, but then the position would be too low for my wife to drive.

The other thing that doesn't work for me personally, is that the seat base does not tilt. It's dead flat, and even feels like it tilts forward a little bit. I found that after about one hour in this position, I am essentially crippled--my lower back crumbles (regardless of lumbar support.)

I see no choice but to shop for a seat and pedestal replacement that offers full adjustment. It seems like Flexsteel is the market leader by far. Can anybody recommend other places to shop, or is Flexsteel really the best vendor to focus on?

--DonK
DonKarstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flexsteel is probably the most popular make of seat. The ACE has an "eyebrow" above the windshield that reduces upward vision. When I had an ACE I found myself stopping 6 or 10 feet back from the white line at stop lights so I could see them clearly. I now have a Challenger with a 6 way adjustable electric drivers seat and it is way more comfortable.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #3

That seat you are describing is exactly what I want to upgrade to. Just wondering if anyone likes another manufacturer other than FlexSteel. I don't have anything against them--just don't want to overlook any good alternatives.

--DonK
Old 07-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Have you considered a semi-truck seat? They're a bit pricey but they adjust to almost any imaginable position. The back tilts and I've seen 1-3 adjustable lumbar supports, the bottom tilts usually 3 positions forward or back, they slide forward or back, you can lock it in place or let it slide forward and back a little to accommodate rough roads and they go up and down on an air bag. Of course you'll need an air compressor.
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #5

Bostrum makes semi seats and they easily handle a million miles.
hawk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Flexsteel makes a lot of seats in various price ranges. I'm sure if you look in their web site you'll find something that will perform better then what you have. It's a shame that in a new coach the seating isn't comfortable, and it needs to be. Else you will be compromised on how far you can drive, and how you will feel when you get there. They may even be able to match the passenger seat leather. Good luck!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKarstedt View Post
My wife and I just completed our maiden voyage in a 2013 Ace 29.2 Everything worked out great EXCEPT, I can't stand the driver's seat. All seems fine after an initial test sit, but it became apparent right away, that I'm too tall for proper upward visibility (I can't see traffic lights.) The seat is not very adjustable, only swivel, slide and back tilt. The pedestal post is a solid tube, so there is no option for vertical adjustment. I was tempted to have a friend cut 2" out of the post and re-weld, but then the position would be too low for my wife to drive.

The other thing that doesn't work for me personally, is that the seat base does not tilt. It's dead flat, and even feels like it tilts forward a little bit. I found that after about one hour in this position, I am essentially crippled--my lower back crumbles (regardless of lumbar support.)

I see no choice but to shop for a seat and pedestal replacement that offers full adjustment. It seems like Flexsteel is the market leader by far. Can anybody recommend other places to shop, or is Flexsteel really the best vendor to focus on?

--DonK
DON,
I agree with you on the seat. I have the 2015 30.2 and the seat feels like it is tipping forward. I was going to take a look at it and see if i could put some washers under the front bolt that mount it to pole. To tip it back some. I do not find seeing stop lights an issue with it but I 5'11" Keep us posted if you swap the chair. We have a trip to Out Banks next week so I will see how I feel after 6-7 hour ride.
snoodledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

I had exactly the same thought about jacking up the front with washers. That might solve my angle problem, but it will ultimately make me sit even a little higher. I may just replace the fixed pedestal with an electric 6 way swivel base and keep the existing chair itself. I'll let you know how it goes.

--DonK
Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #9

Check out Heavy Truck dealerships they often have aftermarket seats on display for customers to try out in the showroom, some have a built in air compressor. They tailor to the professional driver and let me tell you from experience, a cheap seat can easily become a very expensive one when you develop back problems.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #10

I like the pro truck seat idea. I didn't focus on them because I didn't want to go through the hassle of finding a way to install a compressor. But... built in compressor you say? Guess I better give them another look. Thanks.

--DonK
Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #11

Look at the Marine sites they have adjustable up and down posts.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Try these sites for some ideas
Truck Seats, Air Ride Truck Seats, OEM Replacement Truck Seat
Full Truck Seats by Sears Seating
Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #13

National Seating

Get a National Seating 2000 Series Hi-Back.

Very comfortable.

JohnnyB
Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #14

Recaro.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, thor