Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2022, 03:17 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Captains chars, repair or replace???

Our captains chairs are showing some age and am thinking about replacing or recovering. They are showing wear on the arms and back from turning the seat around improperly. Also find that the seat appears to have lost its support. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts after they did one or the other to guide me in the right direction? Any and all input is always welcome!
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2022, 04:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
With the rising cost and supply problems these days, I would be looking for a good upholstery shop.

JMHO.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'd try and get at least 2 quotes for what you want done.

My guess it will expensive either way you go, not sure which would be faster.

I had to have the 2 armrests redone on my Eurocliner chair, it cost me $180 just for the armrests and I had him do them in vinyl vs leather as he had some vinyl on hand that was a pretty close match. He said if he ordered a color match leather he would have had to order a whole hide, didn't even ask that would have cost.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:08 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would also go for an upholstery shop. You can have them reupholster and repair the cushioning to your liking.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:11 AM   #5

If they are FlexSteel chairs I would include Lisa Bauer Upholstery (search Newmar section). She worked for FlexSteel and has patterns to produce skins for various models in your choice of materials. You will have to have a local shop quote install and any foam upgrade desired but may be less $ than a custom one- off by a shop w/o patterns.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Another Thumbs-Up for Bauer Upholstery

Hi -
You can't be in a particular hurry, but I also do recommend the custom covers by Bauer Upholstery. They helped me locate the ID tags to identify the specific Captain's Chairs in our rig, and then quickly sent samples of material to select color, etc.
After selecting and ordering, the covers arrived exactly as anticipated with perfect color and exact fit. I also ordered new foam for the seating (bottom but not back) from Bauer Upholstery and it also was a custom fit and was much, much firmer than the old.
No instructions were received for installation, but it wasn't terribly difficult to figure out, as the new upholstery was an exact replica of the original. Recommendation: take plenty of pictures as you disassemble if you are unsure about how something is put together.
Despite my arthritic hands, I was able to complete the replacement on both chairs (including removal of old upholstery) in 3 days. That said, I did take my time and was not in a hurry.
The results are outstanding and we couldn't be happier. The scariest part is cutting openings for the various controls in the awesome new upholstery, but I took my time to make sure that I was cutting in the right place and I had zero problems or new and unusal openings when finished.
The price was very reasonable compared to custom upholstery locally or buying new Captain's Chairs altogether.

John
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, repair, replace