Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #1

Carefree Eclipse awning won't retract

So I have read the threads on awnings not retracting.

Mine does not. Here is what I have.

2013 Monaco Diplomat

Awning goes out.
It moves to retract but will only move about an 1/8 of a turn.

If I pull the awning arm down to reduce tension it winds up slowly.

I put a complete new motor gear assembly on because I like to jump the gun on things!!!

Same issue.

Put power on the contacts at motor and it winds right up. Yes should have done that first................

I pulled the panel apart and put power after the switch and it is still the same.

I believe I have a bad wire between the switch and the motor.

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue on a MONACO.

is there anything between the switch and the motor?

Where did you find the wire problem?

Asking these questions before I have to pull cabinets apart to run all new wire

Thanks

Yeah I read the manual and also spoke with Carefree
holzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry, not experience with electric awnings.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:48 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by holzee View Post

2013 Monaco Diplomat

Awning goes out.

I put a complete new motor gear assembly on because I like to jump the gun on things!!!

Same issue.

Put power on the contacts at motor and it winds right up. Yes should have done that first................

I pulled the panel apart and put power after the switch and it is still the same.

Thanks

Did you ever resolve your awning issue?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:20 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
you should be able to release it at the bottom. You can then pull it up against the RV and it might reel up then. But if the bottom cant be reattached at the mount you will have an issue. I tried to secure mine with a nylon tie and when the bottom hit a orange cone it broke the tie.

The awning in now near Norfolk Ct :-(. not green I know.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

2013 Monaco Diplomat

Awning goes out.

Same issue.

Thanks

Yes - I have basically the same problem. If I extend it fully it will only come in around a half turn and stop. Sometimes I can get it in by working it back and forth and thenit seems to come in very slowly.
If I stand on a ladder and my DW pushes the retract button I can keep it going past that point.

Right now i normally stop it when extending just before the last turn and it will come back up. Had an RV shop look at it and he just lubed the arms etc and it started working. Hasn't worked since. I've lubed it etc but still wont work right.

This is on my list for the next week or so if the weather cooperates. Want to put a meter at the motor and check for voltage - I'm suspecting a loose wire as well.

Let us know if you find the solution.
Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have the same issue. My temporary fix it to hook and ratchet strap the rear arm, put a small amount of tension on the strap just enough to start the arm closing then hit the retract switch while reaching out and pulling on the front arm. The trick is to get the tension right so the awning rolls up evenly.

I've had 2 shops and 2 mobile mechanics try to fix it. I'm almost positive it's low current to the motor, need to work that angle next chance I get.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #8

I have not. Just got new 14/2 wire so think I will rewire to the switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Did you ever resolve your awning issue?
Old 09-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #9

Did you go direct to the contact on outside of motor? When I hook a battery to that it winds right up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I have the same issue. My temporary fix it to hook and ratchet strap the rear arm, put a small amount of tension on the strap just enough to start the arm closing then hit the retract switch while reaching out and pulling on the front arm. The trick is to get the tension right so the awning rolls up evenly.

I've had 2 shops and 2 mobile mechanics try to fix it. I'm almost positive it's low current to the motor, need to work that angle next chance I get.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Did you go direct to the contact on outside of motor? When I hook a battery to that it winds right up.
I will try that and see what results I get. I was planning on pull the end cap and measuring the voltage at the motor to see if it was under powered. Wouldn’t be the first time where voltage drop was the issue. Certainly not looking forward to pulling new wire. Hope to get lucky and find a corroded plug/contact that just needs cleaning.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #11

Here's a guy to call, he specializes in awning repair and replacements. He may be able to point you in the proper direction. He's located in the Tampa, FL area.

Under The Sun RV, LLC
David Jones
www.rvawnings1.com
813-956-6827
Old 09-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar problem. It would act like that sometimes. I traced the wire down the arm and found a connector near the motor. I pulled the connector apart cleaned both ends with electrical cleaner. I used compressed air to blow clean and dry. I than applied dielectric grease to the ends put it back together and it worked flawlessly

I am guessing you may have a bad connection some place between the switch and the motor. It is worth a try to check for a bad connection before you spend a bunch of money on it.

Good luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #13
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same issue with my patio awning, it's a voltage supply problem to the motor. I removed the plug where it plugs into the side of the coach and hooked the wires together inside the overhead cabinet as the pins inside the plug were really corroded. (Thanks Happycarz) When I tried to retract the awning before the voltage at the motor was 10.5 VDC but the battery voltage was 13.4 VDC. Now the retract voltage is 12.8 VDC and the awning rolls up fine. There also could be a relay in the cover beside the passenger seat that you might need to eliminate.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Here's a guy to call, he specializes in awning repair and replacements. He may be able to point you in the proper direction. He's located in the Tampa, FL area.

Under The Sun RV, LLC
David Jones
www.rvawnings1.com
813-956-6827
Thanks I’ll give him a call.

Tags
awning