Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2022, 07:18 AM   #1

Carefree of colorado

My awning worked perfectly till the lever broke off somewhere on the road.. the lever locks the awning to be able to pull it out.. or retract it.. it is stuck on the retract side of things.. my question is, Is there a place to get replacement parts for my awning?
98 carefree of colorado..
Any and all input will be greatly appreciated!
Thx in advance
98fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 07:40 AM   #2

Carefree of colorado

Go straight to the source. There are also RV salvage yards around the country. If Carefree doesn’t make the part anymore, maybe you can find a used part.

I would first try calling Carefree directly during weekly working hours.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #3

FYI...

I tried getting a replacement part for my Carefree awning installed on my 2004. A quick call to them revealed that they no longer stock parts for the awnings as old as mine (and that was a couple of years ago).

-Doug
deddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fleetwood View Post
My awning worked perfectly till the lever broke off somewhere on the road.. the lever locks the awning to be able to pull it out.. or retract it.. it is stuck on the retract side of things.. my question is, Is there a place to get replacement parts for my awning?
98 carefree of colorado..
Any and all input will be greatly appreciated!
Thx in advance
You may need to try one of the RV surplus places around Goshen/Elkhart area.
I know of 3 places up there that I use.
Bontrager's:
https://bontragers.com/

Rainbow Variety:
https://rainbowvarietystore.com/

Johnsons:
https://www.johnsonssurplus.com/ohnsons:
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:34 AM   #5

I believe they have bought many NOS parts. Website says to contact them for many parts . This might be part of agreement not to list surplus of NOS parts, company can sell more new awnings due to discontinued parts .
Can you post a pic of part and model of awning. Some parts have been 3D printed and files are available thingverse.com.
https://www.rvawnings1.com/parts.html
Others I saved
https://pantherrvproducts.com/awnings/
https://www.dyersonline.com/carefree...oaAjV0EALw_wcB
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:41 PM   #6

Does hook look like this. I think it's called or replaced with different designed part called Alumigaurd tractioner I was just looking at these and deciphering how they work. I think they just grab lip of guard and help fold it over or add a bit of leverage. I have one broken and my onetouch gets stuck right at Alumigaurd . I just installed new old stock motor on eBay been keeping an eye out for a couple years. There are installation instructions on internet or carfree website to install tractioner. I did not find any vids though. Also eBay has 4 for $18 free shipping.
Pretty happy to have it working again. I guess I have Platnium model with remote control and a radio control bounce sensor in rafter elbow . I am trying to program sensor now after installation of new A23 battery. Also have the wind braces and a set of mini jumper cables to override the electronics ...so I guess its Diamond edition with those lol.
By the way prior to new motor, the emergency Allen retract screw was about stripped . I managed to get it open enough to remove cover grab screw with drill chuck to fully open. When I was all done even after using jumpers to auto battery the original motor woke up must have been dirty brushes or commutator . New motor was RAE this must have been older model brushes are not under plastic cap screws. So if anyone has issue maybe running with drill might wake one up, better to remove and really clean it or run with no load both directions for way longer than extend and retract cycles. We used to run the heck out of old car starters to clean up the brushes and commutator if they were out or used one . Pics attached old motor.
https://tweetys.com/carefree-awning-...RoChoIQAvD_BwEClick image for larger version

Name:	20220626_192948(1).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	369412
Attachment 369418Attachment 369419Attachment 369420
Old 06-27-2022, 05:49 AM   #7

Thank you very much for the responses... I have been lookin for a picture online cause I don't have 1 anymore.. this is the lever in the picture.. it won't open if in 1 position, and, it won't close if in the other position. Seems most don't have this option.
98 carefree
Fiesta 22 foot
Everything is perfect on this awning but the lever that broke off. I can't seem to get the shift to turn either(without the arm)... looks like I have to buy this whole assembly..Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220627-044117_Samsung%20Internet.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	369440
Old 06-27-2022, 07:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Thank you very much for the responses... I have been lookin for a picture online cause I don't have 1 anymore.. this is the lever in the picture.. it won't open if in 1 position, and, it won't close if in the other position. Seems most don't have this option.
98 carefree
Fiesta 22 foot
Everything is perfect on this awning but the lever that broke off. I can't seem to get the shift to turn either(without the arm)... looks like I have to buy this whole assembly..Attachment 369440

If that plastic lever is attached to a metal shaft, you may be able to remove what’s left of lever and get a welder to tack weld a substitute lever on there. It won’t be as pretty but it will be functional.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:08 PM   #9

Is shaft D shaped or splined. If D shaped.Get a digital caliper from Harbor Freight measure shaft. Search McMaster Carr for a knob or toggle/lever arm that might fit shaft, cut off extra .
Or find set screw collar lock at, Mc Carr, Ace hardware, hobby shop ect.. same size as shaft or drill out the inner bore to fit , braze or weld piece of angle to it. You could drill angle iron to fit outer OD of collar lock braze or silver solder/braze it "uses less heat". Then grind /cut away what you don't need or interferes
Search thingverse.com if it's plastic for 3D print file.More RV parts popping up on there all the time.
If just the lever part is broke off , could use a bit of angle iron or bent metal. Grind a flat in outer part of stub to seat it and put hose clamp around it .
Old 06-29-2022, 07:43 AM   #10

Thx again for all your advise! Much appreciated and very helpful! I am back to the grind and will be figuring out what way I will go soon ish.. Thx again
Old 06-29-2022, 07:58 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Thx again for all your advise! Much appreciated and very helpful! I am back to the grind and will be figuring out what way I will go soon ish.. Thx again
Try the RV surplus places around the Goshen/Elkhart, Ind. area. I go to 3 different places up there. They are:

https://www.johnsonssurplus.com/

https://bontragers.com/

https://rainbowvarietystore.com/

Also out in the Phoenix Area is a place where we have had our awnings replaced due to wind damage:
RV Awning Company 602-696-1444
They may have something or know where to locate it.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado, free