RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Carefree of Colorado Awning Inop

I have a 2011 Monaco coach with a Carefree of Colorado electric awning that no longer will open. I have checked and have power to both outside remote and inside switches. The puzzling part of this is the awning has had very little use as the MH only has 11,000 miles on it. Have these awning motors been a problem? Am I missing something? I'm thinking the motor is bad. Thanks in advance for any helpful information.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know if your is the same as mine but on mine there was an electric connector on the outside that the awning plugged into. I had lots of problem with this but if I unplugged it and plugged it back in it worked. I believe the contacts were getting corroded.

Earlier this year we were camping and had left the awning out ~2 ft to cover the chairs. Well in the middle of the night a storm came up and guess what, the awning didn't work. Had to crawl up on the roof in the middle of the storm and unplug the connector and reconnect it. It worked to get the awning in but I was soaking wet.

When I got home I tried to find a replacement connector, Carefree didn't offer a replacement and I couldn't find one that would work so I took the existing connector and drilled the middle of it on both the male & female side. I then used individual connectors for the 2 wires and rigged the original connector so I could use it with the wires just going through it. I made it water tight by using rubber tape to make a compression like grommet. 6 months later it is still working.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Awning Inop

Thanks Jim....that makes sense. I'll take a closer look at that connecter. I appreciate your thoughtful reply.
Don

Tags
awning, colorado