Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2019, 06:34 AM   #15

X2 on Stone Vos
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Just contact stone voss and fix the problem once and for all.
Will you start a Go Fund Me account for the difference of the $130 to have all of the exposed fabric cut off on 3 of the toppers and almost all on the wider one and re-sawn? Even the exposed fabric was still in good shape but since they were off and there was enough unused I decided to cut the used off. Should last more than 15 years with good thread.

Stone Vos’s fabric warranties are only 6 and 10 years. Based on all the rave reviews I would have thought they would have been much longer. Doubt I could buy one replacement for the smaller topper for $130.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:54 PM   #17

I have one the thread let go on, I think it was carefrees website they offered an upgrade on the thread. What a great way to do business.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #18

Follow up on Carefree Slide toppers failure

I talked to Carefree today and they do offer a UV protected thread. You have to ask for it. It is called GORETENERA. The last letter of the fabric part number will be T if they used GORETENERA thread. Carefree doesn't use UV protected thread because it is only needed in Florida, South Texas and Arizona. Doesn't make sense to me because most serious RV'ers are snowbirds and travel South. Ask for GORETENERA thread for your replacement fabric.
CDBock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #19

I must be lucky, my Carefree of Colorado awnings, 20' main, 3 window, 1 door, are all intact and working as designed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I must be lucky, my Carefree of Colorado awnings, 20' main, 3 window, 1 door, are all intact and working as designed.
Pretty sure none of those you posted are slide topper awnings...the ones where the thread gives up at 10 years for many of us. Like you, all of those awnings on my Dynasty are fine at 15 years. The Girard awnings on my “new” rig are 11 years old and no problems but I had to have the toppers re-sewn last year.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Pretty sure none of those you posted are slide topper awnings...the ones where the thread gives up at 10 years for many of us. Like you, all of those awnings on my Dynasty are fine at 15 years. The Girard awnings on my “new” rig are 11 years old and no problems but I had to have the toppers re-sewn last year.
Each window awning, the main awning and the slide topper has a logo decal on a support that says Carefree of Colorado. They all are OEM from Winnebago, as shown in the advertising leaflet(see my sig) from Winnebago.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:18 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Each window awning, the main awning and the slide topper has a logo decal on a support that says Carefree of Colorado.
In your first post there was no mention of topper awnings..."I must be lucky, my Carefree of Colorado awnings, 20' main, 3 window, 1 door, are all intact and working as designed." and why I commented about this post being about topper awnings.

Are you saying your window awning are dual purpose...topper and window awning which makes them entirely different from the topper only awnings that are giving problems with the thread rotting.

Glad yours were sewn with better thread as that has not been my luck on two rigs at 10 years.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:22 AM   #23
Commercial Member

I thought I would add my comments here on thread and re-sewing.

In regards to thread, Solarfix is the number 1 brand. It is a PTFE thread which has a lifetime warranty. Tennera thread is number 2 and is a real pain to sew with as it has a reverse twist. I know guys who have commercially sewn for 30 plus years and they hate it and switched to Solarfix. It can give machines a great deal of problems.

Sunguard is a bonded Polyester thread impregnated with UV inhibitors. It is the top polyester thread on the market but even it will degrade in time. One issue with polyester thread is that there used to be dozens of fiber mixers in the world. There are now only 2 as they have all merged and one of the fiber mixers is based in China. That is why I only use Solarfix.

In regards to acrylic fabric, Sunbrella used to be the gold standard of canvas fabrics. Once they had the market cornered they changed ( cheapened ) the formula in 2009. In 2018 some of their manufacturing moved to China. Many canvas shops who do high quality work have dropped Sunbrella. It stretches and it shrinks in other directions.

After having sewn over 20,000 fabric replacements with a warranty claim rate of .03 % ( that is not a misprint ) I can tell you what is the best and what isn't. I do phone conferences every 6 months with our fabric and thread consultants and get updated on quality issues with fabric mill's, new sewing techniques, the latest in fabric weaving and fiber technology, etc. Our consultants are some of the best in the world and are constantly in textile mills snooping so I rely on them to keep me updated as well as I trust their word and advice.

With re-stitching, I have seen a lot of it over the years. Some were home runs and many were a waste of time. You are throwing a lot of good money and your time away if you are re-stitching slide toppers that are too short or do not provide good coverage. For those who do have toppers that fit perfectly and the fabric is in great condition and does not permeate water through it then re-stitching is a great way to save money.

For those of you with Girard assemblies, you better know what you are doing before you start re-stitching a patio or slide topper. Quadratic slopes, specialized tapers and exact depth measurements all need to be employed or you will blow out the seams and run the risk of damaging your assembly.

Hope this helps some of you,

Chris T
Chris T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide