Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I have been wanting to do the same to my Discovery 39S but on the driverside the slide goes down flush and I do not know what to do. Does anyone have ideas?
Thanks
Dieselcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #16

We removed the crpet form our coach, but left the carpet under the driver's slide. we havd friends that removed all te carpet, and they are having trouble with the slide marking, and scratching their new laminate flooring. My understanding is the slide actually rides on the carpet when it comes in or goes out. Here's a PIC of how our flooring came out. we used a simulated wood vinaly flooring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38N_NewFloor_0409.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	27954   Click image for larger version

Name:	38N_NewFloor_04093.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	27955  

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Heated floors to replace carpet in main area

We have carpet in our main area and want to replace it with heated floors -tile or whatever. Has anyone used the heated floor system. We do have 2 vents in the floor for the furnace. Thanks for any info on it.
SuzzyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselcoach
I have been wanting to do the same to my Discovery 39S but on the driverside the slide goes down flush and I do not know what to do. Does anyone have ideas?
Thanks
My understanding is the slides need to keep the carpet under them. We visited a RV remodeling shop in Elkhart, IN to check on replacing carpet with laminate. They were adamant about leaving carpet under the slides.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired-old View Post
My understanding is the slides need to keep the carpet under them. We visited a RV remodeling shop in Elkhart, IN to check on replacing carpet with laminate. They were adamant about leaving carpet under the slides.
I have an 05 Dolphin and I removed the carpet in the dining area and found that it had vinyl flooring under the carpet to just forward of the entry door. I but down rubber backed throw rugs when I bring the slideout in to give it somthing to slide on.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #20

We removed the carpet in the middle and replaced it with vinyl. The slide on mine doesn't touch the floor but glides on 2 fixed wheels under the slide
Love the vinyl over the carpet .. a lot easier to clean.
I put new carpet in drive/ pass area and bedroom so its not all vinyl
Do it yourself and save a lot

Name:	ForumRunner_20121029_201012.png
Views:	250
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	28500

Name:	ForumRunner_20121029_201055.png
Views:	249
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	28501
cocos camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #21

I don't know if you camp in cold or cool weather, if you do consider how cold the floor will get on your feet with vinyl. I did remove mine and and replaced it with a better grade of carpet, also replaced the TV"s with a Led 27 inch Vizio 13in in the back, has had no problems with them. wcombs34
wcombs34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
floor

Our 96 had carpet, changed by previous owner to wood(vinyl?) going back to carpet in spring--seems to be reverse of the trend, but dog doesnt like walking on hardwood and carpet more comfy to me--personal preference---Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I have been to Georgia and now back home in Texas and ready to help with your flooring questions. Took some time off- for once.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
We removed the crpet form our coach, but left the carpet under the driver's slide. we havd friends that removed all te carpet, and they are having trouble with the slide marking, and scratching their new laminate flooring. My understanding is the slide actually rides on the carpet when it comes in or goes out. Here's a PIC of how our flooring came out. we used a simulated wood vinaly flooring.
Boy. That wood looks good
Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #25

We just replaced or carpet and vinyl with wood laminate. We used the product CostCo carries. It has the underlayment attached. They put out a coupon ($18 off per box)for it that made it a great deal. Went in with no issues. Love it. Just camped in Yosemite and Grand Canyon. The mornings were in 20s at Grand Canyon no issues with floor tempature. Like someone else said when we pulled the carpet there was actually vinyl under it. When you camp in areas that are not full on paved rv parks carpet gets really disgusting fast.
Kayak32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #26

I removed the carpet and vinyl from our 34' rig and replaced with grouted Armstrong Crescendo (?) vinyl tile with adhesive backing. Looks just like ceramic tile with grout. The tile is only 1/8" thick, but our RV is noticeably quieter. The road noise has decreased and my on-board air-compressor, mounted in the basement by the door, is not nearly as loud in the house. A surprise benefit due to dampening the floor.
Ease of cleaning gets an A+, Looks a B+ and the additional quiet an "A".
I might do it again if just to reduce the noise, but it is a lot of work in a small space.
MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #27

Tired-Old,

Thanks for the compliment. The flooring is now 3 years old, and still looks new.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Replaced my carpet with Congoleum Air Step Plus. Loose lay and works great. Did it mtself saving a lot of money. Used Rhino double sided extra heavy duty tape on subfloor where the slide roller tracks to keep vinyl in place.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal