Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Carpet vs Ceramic tile

We found a really good deal on some ceramic tile so be bought what is probably enough to do 2 MH. Had been thinking about taking carpet out, but; am curious about noise and weight. Estimate on installation has been quoted at around $1000 mat & labor.Can i please get some thoughts on this.
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
paz

I like ceramic tile, but I'm concerned about the weight. Carpet and vinyl tile are probably similar, but I think ceramic is too heavy for our gasser. You usually only see ceramic in diesel pushers.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz
I like ceramic tile, but I'm concerned about the weight. Carpet and vinyl tile are probably similar, but I think ceramic is too heavy for our gasser. You usually only see ceramic in diesel pushers.
I have not done a weight comparison - but when researching this I was told by one flooring company that the differences were small. I said really. He said have you ever tried to pick up a full roll of vinyl? Of course I have not but the point was well taken.

Maybe Ernie Eckberg will check in and straighten us out. I plan to let him make the material recommendations and do the work - and Annie to choose the colors etc. Guess what I get to do? If Ernie doesn't ring in google him. You can go to his website.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I HATE carpet but the grout between the ceramic tiles in our MH is beginning to turn loose. Also we have a few tiles that are cracked. I wish we could take out all the ceramic tile and carpet and replace it with a good grade vinyl tile, but I've heard that there are problems with doing this because of the slides. Just my 2 cents worth!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
TGR

My RV came with the vinyl tiles. The difference in weight between ceramic and vinyl tile is significant. If I were performing this evaluation I would -
1 measure how many square feet I would need.
2 go to Home Depot and check the weight of a box of each type of tile.
3 divide the weight by the number of tiles in the box
4 multiply the weight on one tile by the number of square feet.
5 ask the people at hd how much adhesive would be needed with the ceramic tile. This has weight too.

This will give you an idea of the weight involved.
Next you will need to determine if your RV can handle the extra weight. Many Motorhomes are close to their max weights.

Good luck with your project. If I need to replace my flooring, I'll most likely replace it with a nice vinyl. A vinyl sheet would look nice, but may be difficult to install in a Motorhome. Also, I would ask a vinyl installer the best temperature to install the vinyl.

Good Luck
Taylor
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Flooring

MSHappyCampers: The original flooring (carpet/tile) has been removed and a 3/8 thick strand bamboo flooring installed in our DP. No problem with the slides and no issues with the bamboo other than $$.

Sure beats the carpet and glossy tiles, at least to us.
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #7

A rig that regularly hits 5.5 on the Richter Scale does not seem like it would be kind to grout.
Any feedback from peeps with ceramic?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have ceramic tile in our Beaver and it has held up well over 7 years and some 61,000 miles. We like it for the way it looks and the ease of keeping it clean.

We don't like the fact that on cold mornings the tile is cold and seems to take forever to warm up. It's also hard on your Corelle dishes and your glassware. Especially when dropped from 3 or 4 feet above the floor. They literally explode! Don't ask me how I know this, but it has been proven and confirmed a few times since we owned the coach.

It has already been stated that it's usually found in DPs. I think upon further investigation you might be able to narrow that down to DPs with air ride. I don't think it would hold up well in a coach with spring suspension, but that's just my own thoughts. One thing I have, read over and over is that the adhesive and grout used to install it in RVs is not the same as you would use in your S&B. It has to have more elasticity than the conventional compounds so the floor can flex. For that reason I think I'd be looking for someone to install it that is familiar with the process of installation in an RV.

Just my two cents and as usual, this information is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This product is really great. Will not crack, the grout is an epoxy type product so it stays put no cracks, soft enough the Corell does not break, not harsh/cold as ceramic. I installed it on a problem floor in my previous home, total satisfaction. Luxury Vinyl Flooring | Luxury Vinyl Floors from Armstrong
Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #10

I saw ceramic tile in the new Georgetown Gas MH's. To me - I am a sucker for units with the least amount of carpet. The ceramic tile was nicely done too. Anyway I saw it was still built on the Ford 22,000 lb chassis. The sales person told be they are switching it to the 24,000 chassis. So the ceramic tile must be heavier.

I have also seen laminate flooring replacing carpet in some older MH's.
My DW and I looked into buying a unit with carpet and having the carpet replaced with beoufloor but chickened out. We were getting mixed stories about the availably of the beoufloor. Plus issues with the slides gouging any flooring other that carpet. So be careful - something about the slides having rollers vs the other type and raised slides vs flush floor slides.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #11

Since we are retired and its mainly just us traveling I like carpet and hate the cold noisy vinyl/tile. We take care on wiping our feet at the door and its no big deal to spot clean if needed.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
srh

Newmar Owners Club
To remedy the coldness, I purchased an area rug (9' x 12') to put on my tile floor when the slides are out. It has worked out nicely on my 07 Bus. The width of 9', a real odd size to find, fits nicely.
Regards to All!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Carpet is quieter, warmer, and reduces airborne dust. As TdogKing says
leave your dirty footwear at the door, go Japanese style.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like carpeting in living and bed areas for wampth and comfort. Vinyl in kitchen, bath, and at entry.

Shoes off when you enter - we wear slippers/sandles most of the time around the CG and area.

Every couple three month hit the carpet with a Hoover carpet cleaner.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote