Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #1

Carpet vs. wood flooring

We have carpet now but have been looking at wood laminate. What does your motorhome have and are you pleased with it? We have three dogs that are with us!

Thanks for your ideas!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclaryusa View Post
We have carpet now but have been looking at wood laminate. What does your motorhome have and are you pleased with it? We have three dogs that are with us!

Thanks for your ideas!!
Carpet is definitely "old school". It's a dated floor covering, almost no matter what color and type it is. The newer wood types are definitely more modern and many, many folks are changing out their carpeted floors to wood type. But, and this is simply a matter of choice, carpet is seriously quieter in day-to-day operations, talking, TV watching, driving and more.
But, you'll have to determine if those benefits outweigh the looks and modernization of the newer wood type floors. Also, while carpet can get a bit dirtier easier than the wood floor types, your dogs will have better traction and less ability to slide and or potentially scratch the new flooring with their little claws or toes or what ever. Yes, a wood type floor can be easily cleaned with a damp rag or mop if you keep one on board while a carpeted floor can only be vacuumed and, when conditions are right, it needs to be shampooed.

So, this is just something that you'll have to decide which will better work for you, in your given situation.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #3

Carpet vs. wood flooring

Some more different issues are that wood or laminate flooring is colder than carpet, on bare feet. Another is the weight of the flooring compared to the carpet.

My slide comes in half way on my carpet and I don't have much room to spare from the bottom of the slide to the top of the carpet. So when i change it out I am going to match the height of the carpet.

Also carpet fades over time just due to foot traffic.

All in all it is all left up to the owner. Almost all the new MH's, be it any class, I noticed no carpet.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #4

Ours is ceramic tile front to back. Easy to clean and doesn't show wear.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I recently replaced all of my carpeting with hand scraped engineered hardwood flooring. With the hand scraped, you can easily repair any nicks, etc. and it blends in. We glued the flooring down. The expert on flooring is Ernie Ekberg and if you have any questions he is very helpful. You can contact him and look at some pictures at: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...andrepair/info
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:58 AM   #6

I switched my old carpeted rv to wood laminate and was pleased with the outcome. I noted that the project added weight to the motor home.

My current rig has vinyl floors. I have no intention to change it out.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #7

We like carpet enough to pay to put it back into a new MH. Especially in the BR it is just we have come to like and expect. We put it in the LR too.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I changed from carpet to a woodgrained vinyl plank floor (Shaw brand from Lowe's). It was work, and weighs a bit more than the carpet it replaced, but it looks so much better and we can actually keep it clean. We have two Great Danes and four cats in our full-time rig.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #9

I know carpet is outdated but I like how my rv is done. The entry, kitchen, bathroom and dinette area are vinyl tile. But the rear lounge/bedroom is carpeted.
Lazy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #10

We removed the carpet in the kitchen/dinette and put in laminate. The floor is really a lot colder than the carpet but works better than carpet in that area. We replaced the carpet in the rest of the coach for the comfort and warmth under foot. Everyone's tastes are different. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #11

I've been in the flooring business over 35 year's. I changed the carpet in my Motorhome from carpet to LVT. It is only 1/8 inch thick. You can get it in wood or tile. Best to have someone who knows what they're doing you might need to put a subfloor down first. Good luck
wbcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Carpet is quieter, warmer, softer under foot, fire resistant,
and reduces airborne dust. But if you have a rolling
animal shelter, and you track in lots of dirt, then it is
much more difficult to clean and keep clean. As for us,
we love our carpeted areas, and also the porcelain tile
in the kitchen and entry way.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #13

I trusted Ernie with our flooring nightmare. He gave us the best advice and our flooring is very nice now, but it wouldn't have been without his advice.
bmijudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #14

Our new MH comes with vinyl flooring ( we chose wood floor looking) in the main area and bath, carpet in the bedroom and driver passenger area. Works much better than carpet everywhere. Having both a cat and a dog, never again will I have large areas of carpet. Between poop, pee, vomit, hair balls, shedding, drooling and humans who can't wipe their feet carpet is a no go. This goes for RV and home.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet